Now that the Kickstarter is a huge success, PLEASE add 3DS and Vita versions as goals!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
RikuKH

Now that the Kickstarter is a huge success, PLEASE add 3DS and Vita versions as goals!

Postby RikuKH » Fri May 01, 2015 5:17 pm

And probably Xbox360/PS3 versions too? There are people who really want these.

Exaskryz

Re: Now that the Kickstarter is a huge success, PLEASE add 3DS and Vita versions as goals!

Postby Exaskryz » Fri May 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Old consoles like 360/PS3 can be ignored honestly. It's time to move on from them. They've had their successors for a year and a half now, yeah? Only makes sense to publish on them if you started development on your game before the ONE/PS4 dev kits were available. That doesn't apply to ukulele.

Hearing about the size of the game through the kickstarter, I would actually be OK with a 3DS/Vita release. But I don't think 3DS will come out - but New 3DS apparently has Unity support, so that could be supported.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

RikuKH

Re: Now that the Kickstarter is a huge success, PLEASE add 3DS and Vita versions as goals!

Postby RikuKH » Fri May 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Good point on the New 3DS part. If they can't come up with better rewards, I'd definitely add the PS3/Xbox360 ones, too.

Tamloo

Postby Tamloo » Fri May 01, 2015 5:32 pm

I personally would rather not see a 3DS port. I don't want Yooka-Laylee to face the same fate as Smash Bros for XXX. For instance, the Wii U couldn't have Ice Climbers due to the 3DS's limitations. If they turn out cutting features because of the 3DS, I wouldn't personally support this decision.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri May 01, 2015 5:39 pm

I really hope the KickStarter reaches more than a million. So they can also try and make a New 3DS version.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Fri May 01, 2015 5:46 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

No.
Make the forum great again.

Anna

Postby Anna » Fri May 01, 2015 6:09 pm

No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 pm

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Well yeah, some people wouldn't want a quiz show level, some people wouldn't want mine cart levels, some people don't care about multiplayer in a platformer, some people like a few of you don't want a 3DS version, but there are people who would want that also, especially many original Nintendo fans (a New 3DS version).

BetterLateThanNever

Postby BetterLateThanNever » Fri May 01, 2015 6:24 pm

3DS and Vita? That's probably not feasible. :lol:

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Too bad making a 3DS version would require all new assets, all new frame rate solutions, which demands new physics solutions, and would require an entirely different scale of game. Making a quiz show or a minecart section does not require that.

They would literally have to make the game all over a second time to dumb it down to mobile.

I've already said this in like five other threads. Why can't the few 3DS diehards just let it go? It's coming to PC/MAC/Linux and 3 consoles. Pick one. And welcome to the current generation of gaming.

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Fri May 01, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm all for an original 3DS/handheld Playtonic game in the future, though!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 6:32 pm

SeanBad

Postby SeanBad » Fri May 01, 2015 6:34 pm

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I think 360/PS3/Vita ports would be fine, because it should be really easy and inexpensive to port Unity engine games to multiple platforms (The only thing Playtonic would need to pay for are dev-kits for those platforms, as the actual tools used to port to those consoles are completely free.) A 3DS port however, would be incredibly unlikely due to Unity not being available on that system, and while they could hire a separate company to handle it, i'd imagine it would cost way too much for a port that most likely won't do all that great (and that's assuming they could even manage to get the game to run without numerous concessions, i'd imagine the port would have to be New 3DS exclusive on top of that too.)

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Fri May 01, 2015 6:54 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 pm

It was already mentioned, this doesn't change the fact you need to completely rebuild all of the assets and scale all of the worlds back to a weaker system's capabilities. Removing items from the world, removing enemies, removing textures, removing lights/shadows.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”