Does anyone else think David Wise's music doesn't fit the game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Krvavi Abadas

Does anyone else think David Wise's music doesn't fit the game?

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Fri May 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Grant's music sounds exactly like it was ripped out of a Banjo game, while David's music just feels... off, it sounds fairly close to his work on DKC Tropical Freeze, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it doesn't really seem like it would work in what is meant to be a Spiritual Successor to the Banjo series.

polomi

Re: Does anyone else think David Wise's music doesn't fit the game?

Postby polomi » Fri May 01, 2015 6:16 pm

I think it fits amazingly well. Sure, you can recognize that it's Wise and not Kirkhope, but I think both styles have their place in a game like that.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri May 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Perhaps these two styles will help differentiate this game from the Banjo games. I welcome it.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 01, 2015 6:19 pm

No. I love both of the songs but honestly I've been listening to David's song more than Grant's. And I like Grant better as a composer generally. David's song is just so LISTENABLE! And catchy. It's what your ears are craving.

Plus we don't know what the game is like so how can it not fit.

Plus there's probably plenty of room for more than one overarching style.

Plus it's called "Jungle Challenge" so it could be used for specific jiggy challenges.
Last edited by dotEXE on Fri May 01, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the forum great again.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 pm

I think it fits very well with this style of game, really. And I can't get over how amazing Wise's music sounds :D Grant also did an awesome work, but out of the two tunes they've revealed so far, Wise's is so... magical :P I can tell I'll be listening to it quite a lot the next few days!

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Actually it is on loop. I like David's music more than Grant's, but this are the first 2 tunes. Time will tell!

I love both and this game has a great tune already!

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Nope, I'm quite pleased with both tunes.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri May 01, 2015 6:23 pm

To be fair, Grant's doesn't fit either. It's just Banjo music, not something you can call "Yooka-Laylee" music.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 pm

After listening to them both in full (can't believe im about to say this but) i ACTUALLY preffered Wise's song and thought it was much more fitting than Kirkhopes was for the game.

I'm really hoping Grant can pull out some Banjo-Kazooie-esque tunes cause they were truly unbelievable but Tooie's songs were just avarage and his new song is VERY Tooie sounding.

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Fri May 01, 2015 6:37 pm

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Fri May 01, 2015 6:54 pm

My heart will always belong to Grant, and I do personally like Grant's tune more, because I adore bellowing brass and orchestration. That being said, I think based on what we've seen Wise's music slides right in and is admittedly a lot smoother and likely has a wider general appeal. I could throw Wise on and somebody who hasn't played the game wouldn't bat an eye, where as if I threw on Grant's piece, my peers might be a little confused or disinterested.

I would cite the reasons I love Grant as the reasons it's really reminiscent of Banjo Kazooie, the xylophone especially is quite a hallmark of the franchise. Similarities aside, I think Grant's piece also fits, especially if the map has a massive feeling to it which dwarfs our two protagonists. While I think this game is a great opportunity for Grant to blend his traditional Banjo Kazooie style with a more sleek feel, I certainly hope to hear very classic Banjo Kazooie tunes.

It's also important to keep in mind that these songs ARE works in progress, guys. ;)

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri May 01, 2015 6:56 pm

There is lots of marimba too. People get the two confused. It's basically a lower pitched xylophone.

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Fri May 01, 2015 7:04 pm

I think it both fits and sounds great! :lol:
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Fri May 01, 2015 7:21 pm

I actually like David's style more.

Not that I don't like Grant's style though, I do like it... just not as much.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Both fit very well, because this game isn't just Banjo-Kazooie inspired like they want you to think. It seems like it's also going for a Donkey Kong vibe as well with its jungle setting, tropical protagonists, and more fast paced gameplay. Both composers bring in the styles of the games they were most known for. David's has more of a driving energy to it, reflecting the fast paced platforming of a Donkey Kong game. Grant's, on the other hand, is more laid back, relflecting the extended exploration and puzzle solving you perform in Banjo-Kazooie.

rocho

Postby rocho » Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 pm

I think David Wise's actually has an ukulele as a primary instrument on it so... IT FITS and you know what they say!

IF IT FITS, I SITS!

meadowrue

Postby meadowrue » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Nope! I was in absolute heaven listening to David's composed track on the KS page, it's gorgeous and perfect. Grant's music in a little more bouncy and light, David's a little more nuanced and atmospheric, which I think makes them a wonderful complimentary team. And how can you say 'doesn't fit', when we know so little about the game right now! :D Listening to those two tracks one after the other, I'm really confident they're going to make a killer soundtrack for this game.

BK-EZ

Postby BK-EZ » Fri May 01, 2015 11:19 pm

I absolutely agree with the OP. I think Wise's piece sounded fantastic, but it doesn't fit the 'Banjo-Kazooie' vibe at all. I don't feel Wise's style of music belongs in this game. I think having two song composers for this particular game is a big mistake. To the people claiming Wise's piece fits with the game, I implore you to consider the matter a little further. It sounds great, absolutely. But it's extremely and (arguably) harmfully different from Kirkhope's piece. Imagine for a moment if half of Banjo-Kazooie's soundtrack were dramatically different songs in Wise's style (as will be the case with Yooka-Laylee). To some that may sound fine, but I think Banjo-Kazooie's consistantly dynamic soundtrack was something that made the game extraordinarily unique and memorable. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of songs in a game.

A huge part of the atmosphere to the Banjo N64 games was the single melody every world had, and that melody would dynamically change in tempo, style, and instruments as you'd enter different areas. Both tracks on the Kickstarter are listed as part of the jungle world, and clearly they are not the same melody, which would indicate Yooka-Laylee is not going to have the same soundtrack dynamic the Banjo games are so memorable for.

These are harsh words but I don't believe Wise belongs on this project. I don't neccessarily think Kirkhope should be the only one allowed to contribute music to the project, but I do feel that the project's music should be as consistant as Kazooie and Tooie were. If Playtonic wants Yooka-Laylee to have its own distinctive style compared to Banjo-Kazooie, they're absolutely free to do as they please, but I was looking for and expecting a Banjo-Kazooie successor, not "its own thing". Few people on the planet were more looking forward to this game's unveiling than I, but unless these concerns are addressed(highly unlikely), it breaks my heart to say I cannot justify to myself backing this game.
Last edited by BK-EZ on Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Yeah, I thought that too... Well, I don't know about not fitting with the game, just... Well, this is a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor, and Grant Kirkhope's initial tune sounds just like something out of a BK game... David Wise... Not so much. Not that it isn't fantastic, the guy's music is great, but it doesn't have the same feel that Grant's music has...
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”