virtual reality stretch goals

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Jellyfunk

Re: virtual reality stretch goals

Postby Jellyfunk » Tue May 05, 2015 12:03 am

The same concerns were made about videogame violence in the 90s, yet we are still a functioning society.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 05, 2015 12:29 am

As little interest as I have in VR - shaping society or anything else around slippery slope worst case hypotheticals is not the way to go.
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 05, 2015 12:46 am

I was referring to his claims that VR shouldn't exist because then Japanese men will cease to fornicate and children will murder their parents.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:50 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 am

charlton_3393

Postby charlton_3393 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 am

I agree that the examples he mentioned are quite true in some aspects... Japanese men falling in love with anime wives for example is something I've seen some of my friends do... and they aren't even Japanese!

I guess when I first posted my response I sounded a little bit like I had the modern day equivelent of "holo-addiction", I will admit in the past I have struggled with emotional connections with characters from a story or game that obviously don't exist in real life... It is not something I talk about as it is a bit embarrassing but yeah sometimes I get a bit too deep into movies, stories and games that they become more than just simple entertainment, but even just in general I do not regard video games as just pure entertainment... they are a piece of carefully sculpted (and programmed) art that allows each person to have a different experience when interacting with them, if you really think about it video games are quite amazing.

My point that I'm trying to make is a very old one but it's the only one that works... 'Everything in Moderation' YES I will agree that there are people out there sitting in there basements playing video games while eating pizza and doritos, washing it down with mountain dew as they sit there days on end never twitching a toe... and there will ALWAYS be those people who become so enveloped in there own video game world that they will never want to leave and probably suffer forms of depression from it due to lack of social skills (Again, look at Reginald Barclay from Star Trek: Next Gen, he would constantly go to the Holodeck to live in his fantasy world and he could be anyone he wanted to be, but in real life he had trouble even talking to people!)... basically as long as video games or other forms of 'Escapism' are around, you will have people like that...

If you speak to any psychiatrist they will say it is very healthy to have some form of escapism from every day life... Remember MODERATION goes without saying! :) Some people go on holiday... other people have hobbies, and many people play video games as a form of escape instead of just pure entertainment, I guess my attitude towards VR is not as pessimistic as yours, if we could only see all the bad side towards new technology... well then we would have stayed in the stone age wouldn't we? (If everyone had a mobile phone then nobody would ever talk face to face ever again!!!) of course there will be some side effects from the introduction of a new way of enjoying media... but we will deal with them because unlike you I believe the opportunities it creates for millions of people around the world far outweigh some of the drawbacks that could inn-sue.

charlton_3393

Postby charlton_3393 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:08 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”