A platform comparison video is imperative

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Illuvial

A platform comparison video is imperative

Postby Illuvial » Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Whether its PC, Xbox One, PS4 or WiiU, all 4 platforms that this game is launching on are known to have fairly different technical specs. Will the WiiU version look as good as the PS4 or Xbox One versions? Will it run as smoothly? Will the PC version be vastly superior in terms of visual fidelity and framerate? I dont know, but I do know that before I choose my platform I'd absolutely like to know the answers to these questions. I'd love to get the game on WiiU purely because I associate this type of game with my Nintendo console, but if the WiiU version is inferior I may as well go with the PS4 version, right? Well what if consoles as a whole are obsoleted by a much better PC version, then I may as well spring for that version, especially since it has a physical release.

Playtonic, its absolutely necessary that you at least clarify what differences the various platforms will have, even if they're just minor.

Jellyfunk

Re: A platform comparison video is imperative

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat May 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Judging by the model and texture quality, the WiiU will be the targeted platform.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat May 02, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't expect this game to be graphically intensive enough to cause any version (assuming there isn't a 3DS version) to require any visual downgrades. It is an indie game, after all.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Sure, you send them the time machine and they'll test out and record the final project for you. Sounds like a good deal to me.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm

As GrayMagicΓ says, they probably have no idea.

As Alph says, it's a Unity 5 game, don't expect too much emphasis on technical aspects of graphics, but rather on art style. The game should be more or less as pretty on any platform with only marginal improvements on the more powerful platforms.

As usual, you'll probably be able to set higher settings on PC, but there's a point at which you have diminishing returns, more and more computing power doesn't result in a huge visual difference, especially for games like this. For instance if consoles have FXAA for anti-aliasing, and you can ramp it up to super sampling on your PC, it's going to look better on your PC, but even FXAA does the job just fine so it doesn't really matter that much in the end.

The worst case scenario would be if the game doesn't run at 1080p and at 60 fps on consoles, that would be the main benefit you'd get on PC.

It is unknown at this time. But don't expect too many websites run comparisons or do benchmarks, it's not going to be groundbreaking...

Illuvial

Postby Illuvial » Mon May 04, 2015 2:48 am

Yes Graymagic Im totally saying that right this very second we need that video

I'm saying that we need one before the game releases and I never specified a time because its obviously COMMON SENSE that it wont happen right away. I like to respect the COMMON SENSE of others, please dont be so simplistic

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 2:49 am

Someone will make a comparison video regardless. Thinking too far ahead. Go for PC if it's a huge concern.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”