Do you like the scenery style?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

What scenery style do you prefer?

Blocky (current)
52%
Natural
48%

Total votes: 44

Jellyfunk

Do you like the scenery style?

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat May 02, 2015 8:55 pm

It's best to find out early than late into development when it can't be changed.

dream09

Re: Do you like the scenery style?

Postby dream09 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Looks good to me. :P :D

croissant

Postby croissant » Sat May 02, 2015 10:47 pm

I kinda like the blocky style; it gives a unique character to the environment, without requiring too much attention to smaller details. I think it achieves a clean look without needing too much complexity, which should be optimal for processing power = potential for high framerate. Although, on a second though, I must admit, I always felt a little uneasy about . I did think at first that it could have been the blocky visual style; but after having a closer look at it today, I figured that it was just the colours that didn't sit well with me. With all respect to the stage designer, I played around with the image for a little while, until I ended up with . I don't know if anyone else feels different about it, but just toning out the cyans and magentas really did soothe my own perception of it.
Last edited by croissant on Sun May 03, 2015 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alliusis

Postby Alliusis » Sun May 03, 2015 12:16 am

I'm a bit leery of it only because I associate it with linearity and things like Mario, which has very generic levels. It's just an art style though, Playtonic will deliver a good banjo experience regardless. Natural is really nice and adds more of a sense of exploration, but they also mentioned it's so they can handle the larger levels and stuff, so if it works it works.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 am

it looks fine to me. the style makes it stand out from previous platformers. Some people keep comparing it to nuts&bolts but the level design wasn't blocky, just the characters =P

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun May 03, 2015 12:41 am

I like it. The greenery reminds me of the promo images they used for Banjo-Kazooie way back when.
"Hands off my bread."

Banjo

Postby Banjo » Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 am

I'm a fan of the current Scenery. It looks like they took a hint from viva pinata, which is ok in my book.
I'm sure the more thematic levels will look amazing! I'm just hoping for a western environment.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 am

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 am

Honestly it was bothering me. I don't want a huge reviving game that tries to connect with Rareware to have a limited style (aesthetic or whatever it's called) and be used in all areas. I really want to explore a natural land with platforming like this (I'm talking about Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc. style in respect to the mix cartoon and realism).

I also don't think 'natural' is outdated, since it's just a style that anyone at any time can use and like (New people or so).
I don't mind the blocky style in a single level theme or two, but I really want natural lands too. In fact, having unique themes like Banjo Tooie would be the best thing. :)

Shelaylee

Postby Shelaylee » Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 am

From the current state of the poll, opinions are split 50/50 between the current look and a more natural look. So I say keep the current aesthetic, but make it feel grittier and more lived-in.

One of my favorite things about Banjo was that, unlike every other kids game at the time (bright colours and clean textures), it had a ton of grit to it. There was crap on the walls and sewage pipes everywhere, mold, moss, cracks, scratches, dings, dust, rust, crust, toxic waste and industrial equipment, etc. They were densely-packed and felt lived-in. That was one of the reasons it was better than every other platformer I'd played. I'd like to see that kind of a world in Yooka-Laylee too.

The game is in very early development, and what we've seen so far has been created quickly to give people a basic idea of what the game will look. I bet the final product is going to look very different, and I'm sure the guys at Playtonic are going to factor in our thoughts on the visuals the more they develop the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game shapes and changes over the next few years.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 am

It kind of feels like Skylanders or Disney Infinity at the moment.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun May 03, 2015 2:14 am

I think I'll be fine with whatever style they want to go with. I'm not picky, visually, and I tend to be okay with however a game looks the first time I play it as long as it remains stylistically consistent enough.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun May 03, 2015 9:57 am

I feel this poll is a bit of a loaded question. Why not ask if you like the Ukulele scenery style, instead of labelling them "blocky" and "natural"?

I like the art style. At first I was worried, but now after seeing it in videos I love it. I could easily enjoy the game with the style they're currently using; and heck, if it takes them three months to make what they have in this art style, it seems pretty damn ergonomic to me. Changing the art style to something more "natural" could lengthen the predicted release date dramatically for all we know.

Graphics are important, but gameplay is the most important thing. As I find the graphics more than tolerable already (and that it seems quick and easy for Playtonic to make), I'd rather they just got straight on with the gameplay elements now. Wonderful platforming, challenges etc.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:21 am

It's a bit sparse at the moment but can't wait till they implement atmospheric shenanigans.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 03, 2015 10:25 am

I like how it looks.

Vyse

Postby Vyse » Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I like stylized looks like this one and to me it looks beautiful as it is already, but if they wanted to change something about the way the levels look, I'd rather take another look at the (diffused) colours rather than the shapes.

Compare this screenshot from Yooka Laylee (pre Alpha) and Super Mario 3D World

You can probably see that the green colours in YL seem to be a bit dark and a little less appealing in comparison to Mario. In the Mario screenshot everything looks more lively and vibrant, yet every object is easy to distinguish and nothing sticks out too much or draws your attention away from the characters. Then again, not every game has to look like Mario and what it comes down to, is that this comment is yet another nitpick. As I said, the game looks good already and minor tweaks like the one I am proposing might work but aren't really needed.
Last edited by Vyse on Mon May 04, 2015 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 4:43 pm

The saturation is actually fine. The difference is that Yooka-Laylee has very dark shadows compared to SM3DW.

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 pm

At the moment IMO the game doesn't look bad at all, and I know they have made that in just three months of development but, if this game is going to be a homage to those classic 3d Adventure/Platformers games of the past, I'd prefer something a little more "Natural/Classic Rare", like this:

Rather than, "Artificial/Modern Rare", like this:

croissant

Postby croissant » Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 pm

I think the colours look just fine for the Jungle theme. The only thing I felt a little off about was the blues and magenta in the pallet for the cave theme; perhaps a bit too harsh in contrast to the yellow pipes.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sun May 03, 2015 11:39 pm

I noticed at this time it's voted more for 'blocky'.. Then again it's more of a "Do you like it so far" thing maybe. xD
Personality I think the best thing is if we get both so the natural fans won't feel left out (I'm a natural fan).

Have the Jungle world the way it is (Maybe some additional (less dull) detail), but in some worlds, have a different form of mountains with some natural and some other style.

Remember in Banjo Tooie? The hub world, Cloud Cuckoo Land, and probably more had a weird style of mountains (Usually textures) but in other levels, like Terrydactyland, Witchyworld, etc was more natural..
Then again, everything in Tooie had a natural shape, but for this, I'm suggesting different shapes on each level or or some too.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”