Is Laylee a fruitivore, or an insectivore?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CHAINMAILLEKID

Is Laylee a fruitivore, or an insectivore?

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 4:54 am

Its an interesting question because in Banjo Kazooie, Banjo went after honeycombs, But birds don't eat honey at all. Where as with Yooka and Laylee, they might possibly both be wanting to eat the same thing.

Or, there is the other possibility that Laylee is a hemovore, and drinks blood, which would be quite terrifying for whoever the antagonist ends up being.

Wizaldo

Re: Is Laylee a fruitivore, or an insectivore?

Postby Wizaldo » Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 am

Some bats eat fruit and some eat bugs. Chameleons eat only bugs (but you can feed them a bit of fruit if you have them as a pet and its supposed to be alright for them. I don't think they eat fruit in the wild.) Iguanas are herbivores and eat fruit and veggies. So they could have fruit or bugs as health if they wanted to. As to either being the new honeycomb I think Fruit would probably look more appealing, but bugs might be more fun to chase after. Maybe they could include both.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 5:28 am

Pretty sure the kickstarter referred to Laylee as a fruit-bat. But that might be a misnomer, IDK.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun May 03, 2015 5:38 am

I just skimmed through the information on the Kickstarter page and there's nothing on there indicating that Laylee is a fruit bat.

The fact that one of Laylee's abilities will be a Sonar Blast, I would speculate that she's an insectivore, since many insect-eating bats use their sonar ability to find their prey.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 am

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun May 03, 2015 7:11 am

That, or I missed it, or maybe it was mentioned in the video (which I didn't watch again when I was skimming the campaign's front page...).

Time to re-watch the video and scan the campaign page a little more closely...

EDIT: Not a thing on the Kickstarter page or in the video that says Laylee is a fruit bat. Either that tidbit was revealed somewhere else (IGN maybe?) or people are making assumptions based on Laylee's appearance, perhaps.

EDIT 2: No mention of Laylee being a fruit bat in the IGN article or video either. I think someone somewhere just made an assumption and people mistook it as fact.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 7:26 am

I am personally pretty sure I read Laylee was a fruit bat in the kickstarter. They did not mention the genders as they now do (Laylee being a "lady-bat" instead now) when I first read the kickstarter, so I'm pretty sure they changed it.

But of course, that can very well mean they don't consider Laylee a fruit bat anymore.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun May 03, 2015 7:45 am

I checked Playtonic's site in case maybe it was mentioned there, but it isn't. So as things stand right now, none of the sources Playtonic officially revealed information on/to say anything about what type of bat Laylee is.

The fact that you seem to remember it saying so, and the fact other members of the forum mentioned it, as well as that article, suggests the Kickstarter page may indeed have initially mentioned such. I don't really remember what the Kickstarter page said when it initially went live, as I didn't have a whole lot of time to read it thoroughly, I had to leave for work shortly after it went live but I wanted to get in it as soon as I could to make sure I could get the reward tier I wanted. When I got back from work and could read it more closely it already said Laylee was a "wise-cracking lady-bat", so it must have already been changed by then. That was about 6 hours after it went live.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 am

The nose and appearance fits a vampire bat more then anything else. Laylee has 2 Sharp teeth indicative of a carnivore as opposed to a herbivore.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 9:33 am

Fruit bats still have sharp teeth.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... usLyd1.png

As far as features go, large eyes and large nose both indicate towards fruit bats.
Fruit bats have very large noses and a great sense of smell, the only thing is they're large in the sense that they have a big snout that gives them a long face like a fox, instead of bulbous.

Large eyes, well... Even things that normally don't have any eyes at all seem to be featuring large eyes in this game, so I guess we can't look at that.

Echolocation isn't definitive, because there's a whole family of fruit bats that have that ability. That goes hand in hand with the large ears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_fruit_bat

The one indication I found that seemed to be the most definitive difference is that the fruit bat group has a claw on their second finger, where microbats do not.
But even this doesn't seem to be of any help, as Laylee doesn't even have a claw on her first finger. Not to mention that she seems to be missing that second finger entirely,

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun May 03, 2015 9:51 am

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 10:19 am

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun May 03, 2015 10:29 am

That's fair. I brought it up mostly because others have been bringing up her teeth or her nose to try to pin down the kind of bat she is, so... I dunno, just adding my two cents. n_n;

Fruit would certainly be a more appealing health system, and bugs for health indication reminds me of Spyro. Hm.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 am

This is a fruit bat:

This is Laylee:

This is a vampire bat:

In my opinion it's quite clear what Laylee is. The big nose and massive ears are your big giveaways. Hell there's even some feature right under Laylees ears that match the vampire bat.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 am

They aren't going to suck blood it's a bit dark that. Probably insects

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:57 am

We didn't watch Kazooie eat bugs or fish either haha...

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 11:00 am

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:57 pm

dance1211

Postby dance1211 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:01 pm

We can say it's certain that Yooka will catch bugs with his tongue which are hidden around the level and then they'll go "Don't eat me! Here, I'll give you a power up". Then they'll fly off never to be seen again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”