Keep a tight rein on fan input

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
iggy

Re: Keep a tight rein on fan input

Postby iggy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 pm

enterthekiwi

Postby enterthekiwi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I hugely agree with the original post. I fully trust Playtonic to deliver the game we all want to play, so I'm not worried about it. But yeah, I'm glad this concern is being voiced.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:02 pm

I also agree. But I want to talk about the definition of "fan input". Because most things I write about (if not all) just put several aspects into words that I LOVED about the B-K/B-T games. Since it's a long time since they were developed, I don't see anything bad in it when Playtonic just looks at all these aspect-driven threads to "remember". They should totally do their own thing. Since they want to replicate the "old feeling", I consider it as some kind of aid to support their vision in every way.

To wrap things up: I would be fine with a new game which includes all aspects that made the Banjo games amazing. Any additional stuff & innovations (like expanded worlds) should come out of the mind of Playtonic Games. Because I want to have that "pure" game as well & they have no external limitations (like a publisher), they should please go NUTS with this game! :twisted:

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 pm

When developers get too close to their fans, it's more likely for the fans to show outrage or distrust when things don't end up going their way anymore. It's something I've noticed more than once. People start to feel entitled, we should all do our best not to stoop to that level.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Not sure if I've clarified this before, but the type of fan input I don't want to see are things such as designing a character, naming them, voicing them etc.

Offering suggestions and everyone saying "that's cool" -- and Playtonic saying "that's cool, we might do that" is different. I don't mind this sort of fan input. Most of my threads on this board have been tentative questions, seeing who else likes the idea and basically offering it up for Playtonic's discretion. I most definitely don't feel entitled! I didn't help make Banjo, or all the other great Rare games, but they still turned out perfect, heh. I trust Playtonic.
Taylonic Ltd.

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:01 am

I have to agree with a lot of the sentiment voiced in this thread, fan input should be welcome as far as suggesting things to the devs for them to contemplate on and, if they think it fits their vision for the game, possibly worked into it in some way. I don't think there should be any sort of direct fan submissions in the game, as it could compromise the integrity of the game Playtonic wants to make.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”