Orchestral Track

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Xellos

Re: Orchestral Track

Postby Xellos » Sun May 03, 2015 6:16 pm

While I prefer having a live orchestral soundtrack for Yooka-Laylee, there should be an option in the game to switch from live orchestral music, to midi music. That way everyone is happy.

Austin_4e

Postby Austin_4e » Sun May 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Reminder that the Jungle Tune everyone already HEARD AND LOVED was ALREADY ORCHESTRAL

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/statu ... 6965810177

These people and their kneejerk reactions, they're literally being mad because they are ignorant as to what orchestral even means.
EEKUM BOKUM!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 6:20 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Make the forum great again.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun May 03, 2015 6:33 pm

lankykong422

Postby lankykong422 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I personally am a huge fan of orchestrated soundtracks. They definitely add a lot of feeling to any game they are used in and were mainly not used previously because of technical limitation.

While this may not help my case since it is a "synthetic orchestra"--this gives an idea of what Freezeezy Peak would sound like if it were orchestrated. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3ey4kB2SA

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm pretty sure Grant and David know what kind of music they want to make for this game, and I'm pretty sure they could work with a live orchestra to make that music just as easily as with sampled instruments. Anything that improves the overall quality of the music is fine with me, especially since they're offering a soundtrack with many of the reward tiers.

croissant

Postby croissant » Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 pm

croissant

Postby croissant » Sun May 03, 2015 7:26 pm

As a hobbyist producer myself, I also want to point out that how the music is made is not defined by MIDI versus live orchestra. Most professional music today is composed from separate tracks that are digitally processed and mixed down to a master track, meaning each instrument (or element) is recorded separately, so that it can be processed and adjusted manually. Sometimes, this is also combined with the use of sequenced elements, like synthesizers, to create a hybrid style of electronic music that incorporates, for instance, elements of a live orchestral recording (e.g. a string section, a bassoon, or a violin), fused with sequenced percussion samples and synthesizer riffs. If each element of the composition is processed and mixed professionally, it will in turn sound professional and clean. Alternatively, the live orchestra elements could be replaced with an acoustic guitar, a piano, an ukulele, or all of them. Then it would be up to the composer whether to record each element from a live ensemble, including the acoustics of the environment where the recording takes place, or to record each element separately, perhaps even using an isolation booth where possible. In the latter case, the producer will have complete freedom to shape the acoustics of each element, to create the sense of ambience that is most desired for the song. Most modern music is recorded and produced this way.

Back in the days of the Nintendo 64, the limitations of the system required the music to be sampled and sequenced, as opposed to streaming audio directly from a recording. Because of the limited memory capacity of the N64 cartridges, it was necessary to keep the size of the audio samples down, which in turn means reduced audio quality. In addition, composing in a MIDI format would also impose its own restrictions, primarily in terms of dynamics, having to compose melodies from static one-shot samples. However, now that most video game systems are capable of processing streaming audio, also having more than enough memory to feature big audio soundtracks, there are basically no restrictions regarding the audio quality of a video game soundtrack, other than the supported formats for streaming audio. So basically, what the soundtrack for Yooka-Laylee will sound like is all in the hands of the composers, and how they choose to produce the music. I think the pieces by Grant and David on the Kickstarter are pretty good styles for the game's expression.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 7:43 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 10:13 pm

I demand a stylophone version of the soundtrack! :x :x :x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoCGfU6Jyg

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 pm

At the end of the day, be with or without and orchestra it will still sound like the style of Kirkhope and wise.
I have absolute faith that they will deliver! 8-)

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 pm

I kind of agree and disagree. Sometimes, I like my songs to be good old-fashioned midi, while other times orchestras can add a lot more depth and weight to a given track. Really, it just depends on the tune.

Given the two songs from Grant and David we've heard so far, I think they're perfect just they way they are, and don't really need to be orchestrated.

Then again, there WAS an N64 shader option if you beat the game, so perhaps the midi tunes will be an option as well?
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:16 pm

This is Moo Moo Meadows without a live orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7THLGelUPs
This is Moo Moo Meadows with a live orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_o3UFRlaRI
If you prefer the first one, you are officially insane.

Vyse

Postby Vyse » Sun May 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I won't deny MIDI has its own charm to it, especially when it comes to oldschool 8-16 bit games, but Yooka Laylee is a modern game made in 2015. You don't want your graphics to look like they did on the N64 just because that's what Banjo Kazooie looked like. Yes, it'll be fun to activate the N64 shading mode a few times, but let's be honest, hardly anyone will play the entire game this way. It's the same thing with the music. It'd probably be fun to hear the soundtrack in midi once or twice, but for the most part I'm sure (most) people will enjoy the orchestral version better.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Here's a list of soundtracks I want.

1. Real Tubas, Fake Clarinets
2. Fake Marimbas, Real Xylophones
3. Banjos and Kazoos only
4. Ukuleles only
5. Fake everything, real theremin
6. NES style
7. SNES style
8. N64 style

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sun May 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Note: This comment is kind of a reaction to some argument thing partly.
The idea of 'Orchestral' being "better" is really, really bias and only based off subjective opinions.
Music has there own style:
Orchestral is nothing but a style, and it's nothing but a trend if people continue to think that it's "Hey it's realz, so it's better".. Sorry it just sounds like another one of those "Call of Duty makes you feel cool because it's real" things and makes it look nothing like a trend once more, which never works for everybody.
Just how like Flat design tries to ruin the optional art flow of 3D and effects for some people..

Samples are another style, just like Orchestral, and I for one do not think any form of music style is a "past". For me, I vote for midi because it gives you this calm, perfect, and catchy theme of music, and whenever I hear 'Orchestral', it often takes away a lot of that, and sounds nothing like an attempt at 'trying to do this' type of thing.
One person is right too about Mario Galaxy. I cannot enjoy the music that much for some reason and that could be why..
Also, less real instruments sound more of a style rather than a 'limit' even though some midis do have limits. I think it's just that if a calm, "limited" thing was liked because of how it turned out, then it's not really a 'lack of develop' or at least not anymore..

I'm not saying orchestral music is always a bad thing. But I don't want everyone to get the idea that we must and ruin every other good type of music for everyone.

So YES, please make it optional too.

Edit
Well I did already edit it before, but I'll add this.
I didn't noticed Grant Kirkhope's music for this game was Orchestral. Which by the way, sounds catchy, and somewhat calm and great! I guess if we used Orchestral music, I hope it sounds more like this personality. xD
I think with Midis, they happen to create unique styles (rather than limited comparison) such as very soft strings and how it turns out to be very calm and personal rather than a 'limited' feel.
Last edited by wwwarea on Mon May 04, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon May 04, 2015 12:08 am

Orchestral music can't be "calm, perfect, and catchy?" Sounds like you're the one showing bias.

Mendinso

Postby Mendinso » Mon May 04, 2015 12:11 am

Personally, I'd like it to be a combination of both real and electronic instruments to be used for the game's music to give the project a unique flavor. While I do love orchestral music, I can't help but admit there's something special about the usage of electronic sounds as opposed to real instruments, especially when going for unique sounds that can't be easily emulated by real instruments.

Either way, I'll do a "wait and see" approach, but I do like both tracks that have been composed thus far for this project. So if it's something like, then I'm all for it.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”