Have people forgotten Playtonic are not idiots?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Have people forgotten Playtonic are not idiots?

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Literally every thread is someone complaining about the design of a game that has existed for three months.

The characters need clothes, orchestras are bad, the shadows are too harsh, the shadows are not enough, the scenery is too this or that, the worlds are too empty, the game will have too much backtracking, the worlds' expanding won't be significant enough, six levels is too few.

We don't even have real gameplay footage yet.

The reason I backed this game is because the devs worked on all of the best games from my childhood. The reason I backed this game is because the developers have over 100 years of combined experience. The reason I backed this game is because these guys have over 20 combined successful game launches.

Maybe relax and let the developers develop their game. If I were Playtonic I would shut the door for three months and then show some new work, then shut the door again.
Last edited by dotEXE on Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the forum great again.

Jellyfunk

Re: Have people forgotten Playtonic are not idiots?

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 pm

What's "real" gameplay?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 pm

flagrama

Re: Have people forgotten Playtonic are not ignorant?

Postby flagrama » Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm not sure everything is complaining. A lot of it is just discussion which is sort of the point of a discussion forum. Playtonic doesn't have to take to heart anything that is said here, but maybe they will agree with someone's argument during a discussion? In that case closing everything down would actually be a detriment to the game. Even closing everything down isn't an answer either since people would just go to discuss the game elsewhere with the same exact arguments.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 6:45 pm

It's not really discussion though. It's all just "it's not enough" or "it's wrong do it better".

And I'm not saying they should close the forums, I'm saying they should close their browsers and just do their thing.

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 pm

And like I said a couple of time, what we saw for the Kickstarter is just a polished prototype. It's like the beginning of a pre-alpha. I'm sure 100% of what we saw will be a least modified or even replaced completely for the final game.

I'm sure Playtonic will deliver an awesome game, I have no doubt about it.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:48 pm

III H1TMaN III

Postby III H1TMaN III » Sun May 03, 2015 6:50 pm

I'm not mad. I know Playtonic will deliver. I am very excited about and I can't wait to play a bit of it later this year. :)
Hey there fellow reader! I suppose I gained your interest somehow? It's nice having someone reading me. It feels so.. ticklish I should say. Thanks for that!

iggy

Postby iggy » Sun May 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Agreed to some extent but it's hardly unexpected- people are justifiably excited and want to discuss and give feedback.

Things will calm down with time I think.

flagrama

Postby flagrama » Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 pm

It sure seems like people have forgotten that. I trust Playtonic's decisions and I am willing to let them settle in a bit before outright forbidding anything. And I have been thinking from the start that Playtonic should not listen too much to the players, because the reason we all support them is because we already like what they do without our input. I almost feel like people are too eager to "make a difference" just because Playtonic said that they will be listening to us. I never really did like the input of fans when it comes to something like a game.

Of course it is not really bad people to discuss or question things, but surely there must be some attempt to understand the design choices? For example, Yooka probably does not wear either a shirt or pants because he has spikes and a tail on his back. Clothing would either covers those up, detract from them, or just look kind of bad if they had to be torn just to show the spikes or tail. Smaller bits of clothing might be too insignificant, and Laylee does not wear clothes because Yooka does not wear clothes. Maybe that is not exactly it, but it has become the reason for me. Those spikes are pretty coolio.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 7:16 pm

A lot of complaints are based of nostalgia. Unless this is an exact remake of Banjo Kazooie they won't be satisfied.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 pm

And there are people saying it's TOO MUCH like Banjo.

Hide in a hole Playtonic; come out when it's done.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 pm

lupaie

Postby lupaie » Sun May 03, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm sure with all their experience, aspecially with a former Rare fanbase, they knew this was coming and sure know what to do with it. No need to babysit them...nice gesture though.

FungiGamer

Postby FungiGamer » Sun May 03, 2015 7:30 pm

I have to say, despite my personal concerns, the fact that they've made that detailed of a world and what seems to be a multitude of animations of the characters, enemies and a collectable in only 3 months in Unity is actually damn impressive for a team of 7.

Just imagine where the progress will be after 6 months, 12 months or even allllll the way in next October, if they decide to stick with that date.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 7:33 pm

They can voice their concerns if they want to, the rest of us can kick back and know that Playtonic isn't crazy enough to listen.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Playtonic staff are idiots. What were they thinking even trying to make a game that the fans want? What were they thinking about trying to make a 3D Platformer? There's a reason that this genre died! No one wants to play them! Market Demand for the past 15 years has consistently shown that realistic first person shooters are what we want! And of course, as we all know in the western world, the free market reveals the truth.

A glack of bumbling buffoons the lot of them at Playtonic.

But in all seriousness, they'll never please everyone. And I'm sure they realize that. I wish them the best in making this game and I know they'll make a better game than I ever could. Nevermind I've never made a game before.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”