Have people forgotten Playtonic are not idiots?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TheHeartMan

Re: Have people forgotten Playtonic are not idiots?

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Last edited by TheHeartMan on Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun May 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun May 03, 2015 8:51 pm

That's just how people are nowadays. I remember when Sucker Punch Productions revealed the Cole redesign for Infamous 2, so many fans of the first game became so vocal and aggressive that Sucker Punch was forced to change the design to more resemble the first one's. I don't think the Yooka-Laylee fans will ever reach that point (hopefully), but I'm sure Playtonic can handle everything perfectly fine. It's not like they're going to take every single complaint or criticism to heart and go against their vision for the game. If people wanna discuss whatever (gender, shadows, mooks, clothes, lack of puppies) let them do it. Playtonic knows what they're doing with this game; that's all that counts.

Shame to hear about Grant, though.
"Hands off my bread."

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sun May 03, 2015 8:53 pm

Austin_4e

Postby Austin_4e » Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Seriously the amount of hate thrown at Grant today is absolutely disgusting. This guy was probably more excited than ANY of us that a game executives told him for YEARS could never happen is finally happening.

He decides he wants to go a step further and provide QUALITY music because they can get the funding for it and what's the thanks he gets? Getting flamed on Twitter over a decision anyone with common sense would agree with.

There's a difference between legitimate criticism and pure ignorance and it's disgusting how beat up Grant was over something he wanted to do JUST FOR US for YEARS now.

I have absolutely no respect for those "fans".
EEKUM BOKUM!

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sun May 03, 2015 9:52 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 pm

As someone who doesn't do twitter, can anyone throw in some quotes from Grant about his reaction to the flaming that went down?
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 9:55 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Austin_4e

Postby Austin_4e » Sun May 03, 2015 9:56 pm

EEKUM BOKUM!

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun May 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Damn. That's just upsetting that people would be so mean to him over something so trivial.
"Hands off my bread."

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 pm

You forgot:

You don't like this? ...... *sob*
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mlgS0hqos

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 pm

I think Playtonic needs to do something awful like announcing permadeath so that people can stop complaining about good things. The game's so good that there's nothing really worth complaining about. I'm sure if that happens people will be less focused on it not being on consoles that aren't powerufl enough to run it or the music being improved.

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 10:12 pm

I agree, the Twitter is genuinely upsetting. It's just gross to watch people turn their backs on the people who have brought them so many good things in the past and want to do the same again by pouring their heart into it. While I'm sure it got lost in the flurry I did try to send Grant some reassuring words.

While I'd be interested to hear Grant experiment around with an electronic vibe (I love EDM and House) just for curiosity's sake, I love Grant's signature orchestral styling to ever wish for that to change.
Last edited by TheHeartMan on Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

I know people need to chill out complaining about silly things. The game (in it's very early stage) looks great, i can only imagine how good its going to be in a years time.

As you say, they know what they're doing and I trust them.

Vyse

Postby Vyse » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Are you sure you're not just annoyed by the amount of new people posting random stuff in here dotEXE? If so, then be prepared to live with it. I know how it feels and that it sucks, but it is unavoidable. I was part of the Secret World forums back when you had to solve a pretty crazy puzzle they hinted at in a in order to get there.It was a fun place to discuss stuff and solve equally abstract ARG puzzles with likeminded people until the "real" marketing kicked in and the place was flooded by new people. Things will die down a bit after the kickstarter ends and get horrible again once the game is out. Be prepared to see a lot more of this and a lot less of the nice atmosphere you were used to.

Anway: Is playtonic dumb? No, that's why they will most likely see these comments as what they are. Thoughts of fans who are passionate enough to try and make the game "better". It is part of the job for any designer/creator to look at such comments, take from them the things that make sense to them/fit in with their vision and ignore the rest.

All in all, the things people 'complain' about are highly specific details anyway.

"The main character might need a piece of clothing to make him more unique" - Maybe. A feature that'd
make Yooka more memorable might help. Would it affect the game in a significant way if it stayed the way it is now? Nope.

"The color palette seems to be a bit off in the sample pre alpha level, if you keep that in the final version
could you try to find a few more harmonic colours?" - Something I have said because I work as a user interface designer and know a thing or two about colour. Would the game be worse if they ignored this. Most likely not. Would it hurt if one of them took another look a look at the diffused textures to see if they agree with the argument? I doubt it.

I think we can trust Playtonic enough to either judge what is best for the game or just stop reading these things if they're annoyed by them.

EDIT:
Okay, I missed what was going on with Grant somehow… S**t like this is indeed rather stupid behaviour, but sadly as hard to shut down as any of the other comments on the internet. Maybe Grant can find comfort in the fact that the people complaining to him are most likely less than 0.01% of the people backing the project and everyone else likes the idea of an orchestral soundtrack made by him quite a lot (I know I do). I know it's hard to hear such things, because one negative comment can hit you harder than a thousand positive ones, but I'm afraid the best option to deal with trolls on the internet is to ignore them. Reactions of any kind will just make them vomit all over the place…

Last edited by Vyse on Sun May 03, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun May 03, 2015 10:23 pm

I appreciate people throwing in the tweets.

I could have found the twitter, but the last times I've gone on twitter to try and look at the gossip, it was hard to impossible to keep track of conversations. If he had any tweets intermixed on different topics, it would have gotten confusing for me.

Anyway, back on the topic, damn it sounds like people are being harsh. I don't like that Grant is feeling like he needs to defend himself over a stretch goal that is being misunderstood.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun May 03, 2015 10:30 pm

When a project gets buzz because it's explicitly stated to be a spiritual Banjo sequel, I think it's only natural for a few of those to exist.

-Art style. Yes, it's only 3 months, but the art and first world show a clear art direction that deviates from the Banjo games. It can be tweaked, but we definitely already have a feel for what they're going for. Naturally, people will voice their thoughts.

-Clothes/Design. It's true we don't know the characters, but it's also true that some people find the designs plain, and others even find them completely unappealing. And of course there are those who want continuity with Rare's other clothed designs. Should you demand it be changed? No, but I don't see why people are surprised this is a hot topic when the build-up to their reveal was done in the way it was. It doesn't seem to be an attack on Playtonic, it's just preferences in aesthetics.

-I didn't go through it all, but wasn't the thread on shadow spots a valid gameplay concern? I agree that it is underestimating playtonic (I'm sure they would have caught that if they didn't build around it), but if it DID end up reminding them of that, I can only see this as a potential positive thing. This one is probably just concern over the change in technology since the N64 days, I think.

Crap like the worlds are too empty, too much backtracking (Uh, what...? Who said that?), or complaining about the world expanding is indeed very stupid this early on. If we had more positive threads over raw discussion and analyzing, I'm sure this place would feel sunnier.
Oh, and screw those people attacking Grant.

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”