Yooka Laylee Appreciation Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
GrayMagicΓ

Yooka Laylee Appreciation Thread

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 9:01 pm

So what does everyone enjoy about what's been shown off so far? I really like:

- Grant's track that seems like it came straight out of BK

- Wise's energetic track that'll perfectly fit a minigame or timed challenge

- The simple but memorable designs of the characters

- The onubtrusive rolling sound effect (as opposed to Talon Trot)

- The physics that emphasize gameplay and precision of realism
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

polomi

Re: Yooka Laylee Appreciation Thread

Postby polomi » Sun May 03, 2015 9:11 pm

The single thing that I appreciate the most so far is that they finally added an orchestral soundtrack stretch goal. :mrgreen: It's not the most important thing to me, gameplay is, but I can't comment too much about gameplay from what I've seen yet.

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Really glad to see something on the forum that's more thankful than nitpicking focused (not that the forum isn't a good outlet for that sort of thing, it's just a nice change of tone), so thank you for that OP.

I think my favorite thing so far has been the music as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I adore Banjo Kazooie and am pleased as punch that there's a spiritual successor in the works, but I would have Kickstarter a project solely to let Grant make another BK style soundtrack.

I think my hype will be pretty subtle until I see the level themes and designs and/or hear more music.

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun May 03, 2015 9:18 pm

The music they've released so far has been a major point for me. Maybe it's nostalgia, but Grant and Wise have such a way with music that I can listen to any song they've composed for hours and never get bored of them. Seriously, I had the Kickstarter page up for hours just so I could listen to those two songs.
Last edited by Blue on Sun May 03, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hands off my bread."

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 9:21 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 9:34 pm

I like the moves we've seen so far a LOT! Particularly the rolling, what a fun-looking mechanic. AND it attacks? That's just player-friendly there.

I'm excited to see how the color-changing of Yooka will be used as well. And those Play Tonics.
Make the forum great again.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

-I love love love that they inquisitively look around from side to side in their idle animations, just like B-K. I hope it is mixed in with other animations when you talk to npcs. (Banjo would either be looking around, or have his hands on his hips, nodding his head)

-A lot of attention is given to Laylee's mouth, but I very much like Yooka's subtle animation. He has this sort of raised eyebrow thing going on that isn't overdone, and I like the way his eye smoothly animates to one side before twitching a bit farther for a frame or two. I also like that his mouth briefly hangs open.

-I love that Yooka's tail expands during a jump. It's not as stiff as the renders made me think it'd be.

-The callback to BK's double jump. I like that Laylee shakes her head from side to side, and I like that she's happy instead of realistically struggling. Feels more video gamey. The range on this double jump makes it seem like a much more useful move as well.

-I like the sounds from the enemies, and I like the oversized/miniature ones, even if they might only exist for testing.

-That platforming bit on the pillars that makes you stop, or at least hesitate before jumping onto the next.

-The bridge area at night looks really comfy lit up by the surrounding torches. I think the water in general is turning out nicely with the game being so early. I also like that the bridge bobs with movement. The less stiff the environment and foliage feels, the better.

-The rolling, and the fact that they realized it needs constant sounds from Laylee to be a true trotting substitute

-Smooth, high poly models

-Obviously the music

-Googly-eyed sign as an indicator of returning humor and, well, googly eyes

-Seeing the teaser hidden-in-the-bush image actually in-engine (not really part of the game but it was super cool imo)

And I really appreciate how the kickstarter is being handled. It seems like they're adding in realistic and feasible stretch goals, as if they already have a good grasp on what they want to make. The N64 shader is just pure love as well.
Last edited by lavamario on Sun May 03, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

As sad as it sounds, my personal favourite thing so far is that Laylee rides Yooka almost as if she's controlling him. The way she holds onto his frills just gives that Helmsman sort of feel, and I think it's fantastic.

Other than that, I'm really excited for all the potential here, and that Playtonic have managed to form and create this wonderful image at just the right time, when the community needed them most. A collaboration between the three genius musicians that we're seeing, combined with the fantastic team of Playtonic themselves, I really don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this could be a new golden age of gaming.
(And as a guy who will likely be a parent at some point in the next decade, I'm really glad I'll have these memories to share with my kids.)
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Love the orchestral soundtrack goal! :D :D :D

Emralled

Postby Emralled » Sun May 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Pretty much everything about this game makes me happy. The characters, the world, the music, the nature of the game (Rare 3d platformer 2.0), the humor, the developers behind it. I even enjoy how passionate the community surrounding the game is already.

I've "invested" both time and money into several crowd-funded games before this one, and I will surely back many more in the future. Even though I have enjoyed contributing to those projects and their communities, and still do, Yooka Laylee is the closest project to my heart. It's the one I'm most excited for, because of, well, everything.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun May 03, 2015 10:26 pm

I really love that Laylee is a bat. I'm kinda tired of Bats being enemies/antagonists, it's very refreshing to me that she exists! You made this bat fan incredibly happy!
I also love how her feet just kinda dangle behind Yooka's head, that's so cute. :lol:

I love that Yooka HAS MOVES! It always bothered me how pretty much useless Banjo was most of the time, but Yooka is swinging tail and doing tongue things and being awesome that it's just great!!

The idea of an orchestral soundtrack is so appealing to me, I didn't even know I wanted it until the kickstarter launched. These guys are going to make amazing music.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Last edited by GrayMagicΓ on Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 pm

-I love the look of Yooka and Laylee, the fact that it's simple is something intentional I think. Something that we don't know yet.

-The music Put out by Grant Kirkhope, and David Wise so far is outstanding and captures that classic rareware feel. I completely support an orchestral scoring of the game should it reach that stretch goal!

I love the level design, it's Bright and colorful and is gorgeous!

The move are also impressive so far and I can't wait to see more!

There really isn't all that much that I feel is negative to be honest =)

III H1TMaN III

Postby III H1TMaN III » Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 pm

I appreciate its existence. I see Playtonic and Yooka & Laylee as a blessing to us gamers.
Hey there fellow reader! I suppose I gained your interest somehow? It's nice having someone reading me. It feels so.. ticklish I should say. Thanks for that!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 11:03 pm

We will have SNES Rare and N64 Rare captured in music form. What's not to like?

Vyse

Postby Vyse » Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sun May 03, 2015 11:07 pm

I like that neither of the main characters is an earthbound mammal...

What? You asked!

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sun May 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”