MIDI-Music-Option?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rueckkoppler

MIDI-Music-Option?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Hey guys!

Since pretty much all of as belong to the nostalgic generation which played the best console (N64) with the best games (Rareware), I guess quite a few of you loved the inclusion of a 64-bit-shader-mode, which strips the graphics down to the level of games like Banjo-Kazooie & -Tooie.

But what about the music? I think that, additionally to this mode, it would be awesome to include an option for a MIDI-mode, which features instrument-samples that are similar (or equal) to the ones on the original N64 cartridges. I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement such a mode, so I'd suggest to add this as another stretch goal. Why not add it to the 64-bit mode? Because I might like to change only to the sound, but not the graphics :mrgreen:

Oh and about that orchestral soundtrack: I love this idea! And I think it should be the primary version of the music in this game: Top-notch graphics go with top-notch sounds & music :) The MIDI-Mode would be just a nice gimmick primarily for the "older generation", as I'd put it. Oh, and yes, this is discussed in another thread (Orchestral Soundtrack), but as I see it, the MIDI mode should be the optional one.

What do you think? Might this option be the best way to please the nostalgic crowd?

(By the way, somebody posted a link with a MIDI version of the Jungle theme... can you re-post it here please?)
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sun May 03, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jellyfunk

Re: MIDI-Music-Option?

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 11:40 pm

A midi version is just going to sound like the examples you've heard already. Might as well use real instruments.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Nah, it would sound much more stripped down. The quality is still "good enough" to not be possible on the N64. And I really want that trashy sound they had there!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun May 03, 2015 11:43 pm

The trouble is, that doubles (or near doubles) the requirements for mixing and mastering. I guess it would be up to Playtonic whether or not it's worth the time and effort to do the entire soundtrack twice.

P.S. Grant mentioned Banjo Kazooie used almost entirely real instruments. So. Worth noting it wasn't as lo-fi as you assume it was.
Make the forum great again.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 03, 2015 11:53 pm

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:56 pm

It has to do with the compression and stuff. Frankly, you could probably very easily just compress the musical pieces into the dirt and have a very N64 sound, so getting the sound isn't the hard part necessarily (unless you were to redo them). Even so, I'd rather hear Grant and Wise's tunes at their highest quality, so I know I personally wouldn't use the proposed mode.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 04, 2015 12:22 am

Of course, but I find it a nice & easy gimmick to use as a stretch goal. I just love that low-fi, dirty sounding brass section in the Banjo games, for example. Gives it a much more dirtier and trashier sound, which quite fits the humor of these games.

Here, I found the 64 bit version of the jungle theme:

https://soundcloud.com/mike-stoney/yook ... -soundfont

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 am

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 am

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 12:57 am

Wow, I liked that a lot less than I thought I would. And I'm literally playing Banjo Tooie right now.

I was pro-orchestra previously and now I'm 110% orchestra.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 am

Personality I am sick of people calling what the midis made a "past" experience or something "lower".
If you want to know what I mean, I meant how limited music hardware on the N64 games actually created a personal style of music: Soft, catchy, and how fast attractive it makes.. Not so sure if it's based off limited ways but either way! :) It's pretty cool how it can create new experiences that becomes a style rather than a lower version of something.

Orchestra can be nice too, but it wouldn't be better either as it seems to create styles.. However, it's possible for Orchestra to make it catchy, and maybe even soft. (Love the soft strings!) If not, well I hope for samples to come in too. Haha

One thing I would love is the ability to import midis yourself.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 1:36 am

Man, I compose Chiptune music. I'm all about the beeps and blips. Disasterpeace is my idol. That 64-bit sound just does not fit this game.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon May 04, 2015 1:43 am

It's all about consistency. I don't think orchestral would fit a game like Shovel Knight. The chip tunes give the right vibe. If Yooka Laylee were more like a throwback game with low-poly graphics, then the midi music would be most welcome.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 2:52 am

Exactly. People, in all the Banjo throwback excitement, forgot that this is the game to bring 3D Collectathons into the current gen.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:06 am

I mean that's not really somthing games do (have different scores for different preferences).
I mean what's next? Salsa track options? Silent mode? Brown noise mode? Where does it end?

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 am

^^I don't understand. The N64 Shader option is a thing? Obviously they want to utilize modern hardware, but they've also already officially recognized that the N64 experience is something people would like. If this really isn't too difficult to do, I could see it being very beneficial to my N64 shader playthrough, because--as you guys said--it's all about consistency. Well if that's the case, wouldn't the game sound odd with crisp orchestrated sound and downgraded visuals?

Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea of what the N64 shader will end up being, but if the idea is to make it look like an N64 game, then I quite like what I heard in the soundcloud. I'd use it.
That said, I don't think I'd like it taking an entire stretch goal. Though that's assuming they're even going to add any more.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:23 am

If people want to see and hear an N64 game, (and don't get me wrong I love the system) why don't they whip one out and use it?
This ISNT a Banjo Kazooie game, it's inspired by it, but it's somthing different. What's the point of doing the same thing all over again when there's been such huge innovations in technology? People need to change their expectations, or accept the fact that this isn't the same game they'd played 15 years ago and move on.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon May 04, 2015 3:26 am

I need more info on the N64 shader mode. Is it just lighting? or do they change the models and textures as well? If that's the case, the midi music would work there.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”