Got an awesome idea

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Stryder

Got an awesome idea

Postby Stryder » Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Hey Guys,

in advance, I apologize for my english.

Sooo. I got an idea. How about some sort of tool where people can create their own maps, storys or even characters? (I´m not sure if this game will be with voice acting, but if it´s not and it´s with some weird noises and text based dialogues, I guess that would work). In my opinion something like this would fit perfectly into a game like this. It would also increase the replayability factor by a lot.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: Got an awesome idea

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Or just let it be moddable.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Problem with mods is they'd be restricted based on platform, most likely only on PC (maybe Mac or linux). I'd also be wary if Playtonic has any plans for another 3D platformer or else that could lead to a less-than-stellar new game or one that copies ideas from mods and they won't be as surprising.

How do mod communities tend to be supported by publishers? I only know of Elder Scrolls coming out with a game like every 5 years which is basically to bring the game to the latest hardware and give modders more to work with while the main game isn't as much the focus.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Preston

Postby Preston » Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm

Mods can make a game, They make a longer lifespan, add more free content and allow for a better and growing community, and they don't lower sales at all.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Pauper

Postby Pauper » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 pm

I would also like to see some form of map editor or a customized game type maker. I wouldn't really like the idea of a full blown map editor as it would take away the personality of the individual characters.

Preston

Postby Preston » Mon May 04, 2015 11:15 pm

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:36 am

From my observations, it doesn't really fit their game plan. But I know where you're coming from.

Hate to break your bubbles, but you guys seem to underestimate just how much effort this type of thing would take to even begin to include with the game.
----------------------------------------

Since the game is 3D, making that editor work, then making it properly usable, is on the order of Insanity difficulty level if we consider Yooka-Laylee itself getting finished to be the Easy difficulty for Playtonic.

And then we have the issue that most gamers don't care to understand how 3D modeling, animation, and mathematics work (quaternions etc). To create anything of any depth without some magical kind of tool, you will need this type of knowledge.

The creation of a proper and fully featured game editor, even for just 2D games, is an extremely massive undertaking. Adding a game editor would add at the very least another 2-4 years of development given a sizeable team. The editor being 3D would also make things another 2-4 times as difficult to get correct in addition to the extensive time needed for design and debugging.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 am

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:50 am

My thoughts are more along the lines of the level editing, which would be the ultimate end goal of users that desire to mod the game. For what other reason would we want to edit the game? That's effectively what a game mod is doing.

Creating modding system = easy.
Satisfying customers/gamers that want to edit by providing an easy editor = difficult.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:51 am

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 am

Perhaps my point is better explained from a different angle: If only pre-existing modders have the technical skill to create mods, then the creativity of customers that happen to be non-modders is limited by the pre-existing modders to perform whatever given edits or creations are desired.

This is why I mentioned "providing an easy editor". If you don't know things about 3D, then editing that type of media is by definition difficult.

In short, without an easy editor that everyone can use, it's going to roadblock a lot of people.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 am

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 am

Then; point taken. I don't have a rebuttal for that. My point was beside that fact, not against it.

No need for us to argue. :)

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 am

Mods suck, Hard.
You're not playing the game as intended anymore.
It's like writing your own chapters into a book, it's obscenely arrogant.

A level editor and story editor to create your own stories like SPORE Galactic Adventures did, would be awesome, but impractical given the context of this game's development.

Things like that need A LOT more time and manpower.

Preston

Postby Preston » Tue May 05, 2015 2:40 am

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Tue May 05, 2015 3:20 am

A thousand times yes!
This would be the best idea ever personality.
The game A Hat in Time is actually making one maybe, and I think you can make anything you want.

Depending how they make it, it may be very hard, but:
♦It helps you learn how to model and such - That's how I grew up sometimes with ROM hacking
♦Reply value
♦Creativity
♦Infinite Exploration with Yooka and Laylee
♦etc

While it could be hard, those who find it hard don't have to do it, and it's optional. So I vote for this so much because I would love to make my own levels with these graphics. ;)

Ah, I talked so much again! :mrgreen:

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 am

followstyle

Postby followstyle » Tue May 05, 2015 5:27 pm

project spark
I am French of France. Sorry for the translation

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”