Spiritual Homages/Cameos ?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Alucard

Spiritual Homages/Cameos ?

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:05 pm

We all know rare games had allways cameo appearences from other rare titles, but I also noticed that even ex-rare developers back in the days like Free Radical Studios which made Timesplitters (the game is considered as a spiritual successor to goldeneye and perfect dark) had some cameo kinda things made in their game for example the first level in timesplitters 2 which plays in siberia on a dam with a military base is a homage to the first level in goldeneye and even perfect dark hd have a multiplayer map which called felicity which is a recreation of the famous multiplayer map facility from goldeneye only with perfect dark textures. I thought it would be freakin awesome to have a world which is a construction site with a tall skyscraper framework made of red steel beams and the player must climb up to the top and on top is an angry ape which throws crates on the player to keep him away to reach the top and get a pagie or maybe a hunting ground where a bear with yellow shorts is getting hunted ? kinda like this stuff.

Taylor

Re: Spiritual Homages/Cameos ?

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:27 pm

I think references are a given, but they will be obscure for legal reasons. Perhaps it will be as simple as the mention of a bear and bird in the dialogue, or something similar.
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Like most people, I especially hope to see a certain goldfish.

If it turns out that there are no cameos at all for legal ir artistic reasons, I'd be fine as well. It would be like a fresh start, a completely new universe. I like it as well.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Any references to purple scarfs and tall, pointy black hats are welcome in my book. Or a certain someone's "striptease" party trick.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 pm

One thing that i thought would be a fun nod is if one of the worlds the protagonists were thrown into was a retro world with 64 bit graphics and similar googly eyes to b-k.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:31 pm

This is very specific, but if any of Project Ukulele's NPCs or even the player characters lived in actual houses like characters did in BK, maybe one of the homes could contain a broken down TV or computer monitor which vaguely resembles that of a certain monitor-headed character.

It would be kind of amusing to have a reference to that character in particular, what with them having said insulting things about the 3D platformer genre.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Maybe one character can start to reference a character from an old Rareware title but another character abruptly interrupts them saying how they can't do that as they do not want to get sued for copyright... again! hehe

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:07 pm

I would love to see a Captain Blackbeard-like character, that talks about how some company stole his glory... or something in that way. Would've been Banjo himself in this case, so that might not work. But they might fire some shots towards M$ in subtle way... or at least touch the topic of how big corporations limit freedom and creativity by wrapping this up in some quirky metaphors!

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Of course I think the best homage would be the inclusion of an unnamed goldfish who taps on his bowl three times. However, it would also be neat if someone in the game made a vague comment about "a bear and a bird who passed through here a while back".

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Heh, that made me chuckle.

PeanutCrunch89

Postby PeanutCrunch89 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:37 pm

If it's done as artfully as Captain Blackeye in Banjo-Tooie, I'm sold.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 am

You know what this franchise really needs? A gay frog.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 am

If there was some kind of temple in this game, some hieroglyphs should be hidden on the walls that represent characters from old Rareware games.

MushroomMoon

Postby MushroomMoon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 am

I'd just love seeing the odd reference in random places, or as little easter eggs where we need to look harder.
But of the ideas already listed here, I agree with them all! Ahh excitement
I'm watching you

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”