List 'o Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pisuke85

Re: List 'o Ideas

Postby Pisuke85 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Interactive music / SFX
The same way it was in Rare platformers of the N64-era (and in the Boulder Canyon course in Diddy Kong Racing as well), I would like to listen to music that gradually fades to different styles to reflect the characters' location. And maybe they can make some sound effects to fit into the musical score, like the pipe organ in Mad Monster Mansion. I understand how it could be tricky to synchronize such features with an orchestral score, but who knows? the Mario Galaxy series did it pretty well a few years ago.

reversalmushroom

Postby reversalmushroom » Thu May 28, 2015 11:56 am

Is Playtonic actually reading these and considering putting them into the game?

Anyway,

1. Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark all had cheat codes. I'd like to see that come back in this.

I hear that there's going to be a co-op adventure mode. Does that mean that one player will play as Yooka, and the other player will play as Laylee, or does it each person will get their own Yooka-Laylee combo? If it's the latter:

2. Since gameplay progression is non-linear, what if both players could go their separate ways through the game and complete it twice as fast? And if you're about to die in a boss fight, the other player could show up just in the nick of time and save you?

3. What if both sets of Yookas and Laylees could team up to do special quadruple team moves?

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 pm

1. No Minimap. I like it when I'm just swimming until I see a big scary shark (remember Clanker's Cavern?)
2. Give this game for free to YouTubers in a situation that everyone will win! (I made a post on this just due to the fact that such an awesome idea deserves its own post.)
3. No constant tapping minigames. Canary Mary's jiggy challenges were not a fun feat.
4. More of those awesome platforming parts of the stage just like in Treasure Trove Cove, Rusty Bucket Bay (I hope I wasn't the only one who liked that part), and also jumping from one inclave to another inclave got a tad boring. Especially Click Clock Woods as well as Rusty Bucket Bay. Not that you need to not take them out, but they got a bit tedious.
5. Classic looking text. Those beta text bubble things that are that of the Nuts and Bolts bland text style were boring and not fun to watch (except when you run into someone and see their face camera in the text bubble get knocked over while they are busy scolding you for running over penguins then give a rant about how everyone loves penguins).
6. Please give us a steampunk type world. That would be incredibly awesome and give you a vibrant environment to work with. Who doesn't love Steampunk themes? I'm surprised not a famous 2d or 3d platformer has done this theme yet. You could add all sorts of assortments of things. Steam... steam everywhere! So much platforming, hazards, challenges, minigames could be achieved out of a great world like this.
7. Speaking of worlds a nice greek/roman themed world would be beautiful in HD. Imagine the clever architectural platforming you could achieve out of an environment like this.

Also please pay attention to ideas playtonic. I mean if you're willing to acknowledge some spam bot troll then you should be willing to pay twice the attention to neat ideas. After all a couple hundred people ranting on the forums can come up with more ideas than you can on your job! And it's nice to have different viewpoints when looking at things anyways. It gets more clever ideas out.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri May 29, 2015 5:36 am

What would occupy a "steampunk-type world" that Banjo-Kazooie-type platforming characters could meaningfully interact with?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 29, 2015 5:45 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 am

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri May 29, 2015 7:09 am

I love rusty gear-train platforming, but I wouldn't call that "Victorian" or "steampunk". It's "clockwork".

Btw, doubt it was me who said "cliche blimp" (it was Taylor), but yeah. "Steampunk" just seems cliche. Do a real balls-to-the-wall deadly clockwork level inwtead. Lots of moving parts, grinding gears, gnashing pistons, rusted apparatus, runaway machinery and electrical hazards. Gritty and edge-of-your-seat.
So maybe our disagreement is only a matter of labels.

reversalmushroom

Postby reversalmushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:11 pm

What if in this game or the sequel(s), they give you a 3rd character piggybacking on top of Laylee and Yooka, and then more and more until you're playing as a tower of animals?

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:01 pm

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:47 pm

As I understand, the levels are essentially supposed to be Yooka & Laylee jumping into various storybooks and retrieving lost pages. Well, that sounds fantastic! (Literally!) Now, I would suspect that all the levels that are supposed to be in this game are already planned out. But I would like to suggest the various was you could streeeeetch this concept even further in sequels!

What if Yooka & Laylee didn't just jump into storybooks? What if they could also hop into novels, cookbooks, instruction manuals, sheet music, magazines, catalogs, homemade books made by children from computer paper and crayons (stapled together), school textbooks, books with multiple stories inside them, newspapers, pamphlets, brochures, scrolls, superhero comic books, and even Japanese manga? The possibilities are endless! Anything that has pages! Get creative! Think about how the different genres can affect the level! Are there author notes? Letters to the editor? The description on the back? What about a "dedicated to X" page? What would you do with those blank pages at the beginning and end of books? There is a LOT you could do with the concept you've created.

And if you wanted to be really edgy, you could always have Yooka & Laylee jump into a satanic bible to go around killing demons, complete with a Doom/Tooie-styled FPS sequence, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

I had always hoped I might one day see Conker revive the storybook present that appeared to be in Twelve Tales, and have him going around through dilapidated fairy tales, and it looks like I'll finally get to see some new heroes from the same team go ahead and take that to a whole new level!

Zita

Postby Zita » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

| | |

Mr.Vile

Postby Mr.Vile » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I think somewhere on the game there should be a rareware logo that you can pick up just as a collectable, like three in the whole game. They would be really well hidden, just as a nod to the company like:

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:26 pm

I dunno, I was just daydreaming some level design ideas.

Then I came up with an idea thanks to the raised isle (where the SnS egg was) at sharkfood island.

I think it would totally rock if a certain level featured a giant scalable tower that reached into the sky above the clouds. That can be seen from te ground. Imagine the giant tree from Click Clock Woods but then something more akin to a tower, tower of babel like. You can only scale the tower in the same way you scaled the tree in CCW, spiraling around. while performing all kind of platforming challenges. You can also fall al the way down. sometimes there will be a segment in which you can enter the tower inside to defeat certain challenges (kill certain baddies) the goal would be to reach the top, where a event awaits (boss?) When the boss is defeated this place will be the place where you can enter cheats like in Mayahem Temple.

It's just an thought. Anyway I certainly hope there will be some high places to be reached! It's always fun to see some giant mountain or place far in the distance only to figure out how to get there ^^
Stop picking your nose

Mr.Vile

Postby Mr.Vile » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Mr.Vile

Postby Mr.Vile » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 pm

If Rare was able to display Sonic the Hedgehog's shoes in Donkey Kong Country 2, I think an ice key or a jigsaw piece will not be too troublesome to hide in Yooka-Laylee.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:47 pm

I just got a brain zap, it gave me another weird idea...Hold on to your seats!

The final boss: How about changing up gameplay a bit? To defeat the boss you'd have to go through every in-game transformation to do a certain technique/attack on the boss, then in the end fight it out with Yooka Laylee. 8-)
Stop picking your nose

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:43 am

That would be fun! Even if it's not the final boss, a boss with multiple transformations would be challenging and fun. It could even just be Yooka's own "camouflage" ability, with rocks & whatever else strewn throughout the room and you have to find and eat specific ones to progress in the boss fight.
you kuh lady

waffleme3

Postby waffleme3 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:40 pm

for wii u gamecube adapter compatibility?
/flys with lord helix

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:38 pm

I was just sending a message to someone, and I was typing "wee bit" but my spacebar is sticky and instead typed "weebit." I thought that sounded like some kind of cute, tiny creature with big goggly eyes that you have to rescue.
you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”