Factory World?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
wwwarea

Factory World?

Postby wwwarea » Mon May 11, 2015 9:35 am

I apologize if this is mentioned similar, but would anyone want a factory world similar to the factory levels from Banjo Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64?

Personality a factory sitting around in some mountain or forest. :)
And I really seem to like factory levels too, especially Banjo Tooie's factory level because it felt like a playground and it was colorful too. :)

Wonder if there are many fans who like those kinds of levels?

Taylor

Re: Factory World?

Postby Taylor » Mon May 11, 2015 9:41 am

I don't really like the grittiness of factory levels. Grunty Industries is probably one of my least favourite worlds in the Banjo series.

Factories tend to be grey and dull; I'd rather see vibrant worlds in Yooka-Laylee.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

This has been discussed but no I don't want a factory level. Grunty industries and frantic factory are amongst my least favorite levels in rare platformers.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 am

I'd rather have some platforming challenges like the area in Rusty Bucket Bay, with all the moving metal parts. In that sense, a factory could work.
Stop picking your nose

Social-Ghost

Postby Social-Ghost » Mon May 11, 2015 10:25 am

Huh, I seem to be alone on this, but Frantic Facotry both musically and as a whole was my favorite level from DK64. Frankly, I haven't played much Banjo Tooie so I cannot speak for Grunty Induststries. But considering I also thought quite fond of the factory levels Donkey Kong Country 3, there's a good chance I'd like Grunty Industries as well. A lot more than Witchyworld at least. I dunno but circus levels always bums me out.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 am

Taylonic Ltd.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:04 am

Factory levels are a nice change of pace, I think. Especially if the music's good. :D

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon May 11, 2015 11:18 am

If it were to have a Factory Level, it'd have to make sense with the plot, and hopefully it wouldn't be too gritty. I generally am not a fan of factories, but it depends on how well they are designed - Grunty Industries was very hit and miss for me. I can't see it working well with something like Yooka-Laylee.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 11, 2015 11:57 am

You're not alone on this factory fans! I'm way into the idea of a factory level assuming the devs thought it felt right. I would want it to be organized differently than Grunty Industries where I felt it was a little easy to get lost, but overall I really like that type of environment.

The forums have been fairly divided on this one in the past :P
Make the forum great again.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:22 pm

GE and FF were just so labyrinth-esque and difficult to navigate. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 11, 2015 3:03 pm

you kuh lady

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Grunty Industries was just a poorly made factory level; I consider Tall Tall Mountain to be the worst 3D platforming level I've ever encountered, but I still enjoy Mumbo's Mountain because I only need to climb the same mountain twice (and the second time is different from the first since I have Talon Trot), its initial viewpoint shows you the goal of the level, the textures and music aren't copied and pasted from elsewhere in the game, I don't need to walk through a wall to get some notes in an area with no Jiggy, and there's a defining trait besides objects that exist outside the level itself.

As long as the floors are visually and thematically distinct, easy to traverse, never have cross-floor puzzles, and has a cheery product (toys, games, holiday decorations... not weapons and unmarked boxes), a factory level can be a joy to traverse.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 am

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:28 am

Totally enjoyed Grunty Industries - from the music, to the darkly toned and gritty atmosphere, to the maddening multi-floor puzzles. The way you enter Grunty Industries is simply awesome, as it made it feel like you had really accomplished something. I also loved the challenge of figuring out how to visit every room in the factory, and then working out how to obtain the various Jiggies locked away in the rooms. Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see the developers pull another one of these.

If there is such a level it should probably take a few notes from Rusty Bucket Bay, because a factory by itself without something around the outside of it for you to explore would bring boredom to the environment, much like GI in Tooie did.

However, if there is a factory I'd want it to go all the way - a minimum of 5 floors, the rooftop, and at least one basement floor (a multi-floor basement could certainly add some creative depth!!).

A word on color: Perhaps use LED looking signs and the like, but not in a way it makes things feel "construction site"-y.

An alternate play on the Grunty Industries motif, for those who dislike the grit, would be a combination of that and a skyscraper/office building.

Frantic Factory wasn't all that much of a great world to me, but it did have good music.

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 am

I would love a factory level or levels with different machinery segments like Rusty Bucket Bay.

Tamashii7

Postby Tamashii7 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 am

Not a fan of the muted colors of factory levels. Grunty Industries was the only level in Banjo Tooie I didn't like because of how dull it looked and how disorienting the level design was. That said, machinery does offer some great platforming opportunities. Maybe a factory level with lots of color like Santa's Workshop or Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory would be a good compromise? A sci-fi space level might have a less gritty appearance while still retaining the platforming opportunities that come with machinery, not to mention some gravity based gameplay.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 am

Not a fan of factory levels. I prefer bright, outdoor settings.

Puzzle Peace

Postby Puzzle Peace » Wed May 13, 2015 5:16 am

A lot of people seem to dislike factory levels in part for their color schemes. They can be pulled off well, and still have brighter tones to them. Mirror's Edge, a personal favorite of mine, had a level like that which I enjoyed quite well.

I would definitely love to see a factory level, bright colors or mute. As it was stated prior, all the moving machinery makes for a platforming playground, and I love to explore areas like those.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Wed May 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”