DLC discussion

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John

Re: DLC discussion

Postby John » Mon May 18, 2015 2:18 am

Everyone has been bringing up some great points. I guess when I hear about DLC so early in a games development, I have to ask the question "Why are you talking about extra downloadable content separate from the main game?"

Whatever good ideas Playtonic may have now should be put into the main game. I understand how DLC might be great if Yooka-Laylee is released and 6 months later Playtonic has an idea of a great addition to the game. If that was the case, then I'd believe they put 100% effort into the main game. But, the fact that they are even mentioning DLC now makes me think that they will only be able to focus 95% or 90% on the main game with the remainder on DLC.

Here is an example of what I am worried about. If the Playtonic team comes up with an awesome feature in August of 2016, then they might not have the time to implement it by the October 2016 release date. If DLC is an option then they might just say "oh well, we can do just use this as DLC." If DLC was not in the picture, then they would need squeeze it into the main game or else it would not be in the game at all. I believe that the second option due to a firm rejection of DLC will be useful to help make Yooka-Laylee the best game it can be.
Rarewareusedtobegood

zeo

Postby zeo » Mon May 18, 2015 5:49 am

Kickstarters that insist on expanding their original idea just because people keep throwing money at them often have trouble organizing the money and you end up with a train-wreak of a development. The devs said that the extra money would go towards the stretch goals and polishing the game, not adding on more to their original idea because people think that's going to happen.

This is a good thing. Let them make the game they want to make, not force additional content that wasn't planned from the start.

CDX

Postby CDX » Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 pm

you kuh lady

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Alright, so can somebody explain something to me here. We don't have any official information regarding the downloadable content that is going to be provided. What this thread consists of is eight pages of speculations which then are falsley treated as absolute fact, off-hand and off-topic mentions of how other games have handled their downloadable content, and arguments that are starting to look very similar to actual, real flamewars. Yet, we know nothing official about this yet. My question here is, why? Why would you work yourself up about something that isn't even confirmed yet, and why would you work yourself up about something which has no official information?
Imagine there's this super amazing signature here.

I like doing it this way because then this signature could be many different things depending on the observer. It's very quaint, yet succint.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”