Quirky Characters?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Enrel

Quirky Characters?

Postby Enrel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm

We all know the dynamic between Banjo and Kazooie was very rough as Banjo was often the sweet one and Kazooie the brash loud mouth.

What do you feel like we're going to see when we eventually get our protagonists here? Will it be one lovable and one jerky character duo?

Pgcrooner

Re: Quirky Characters?

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Maybe they'll invert the personalities?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:10 pm

It's always good to have a good cop/bad cop duo. It creates more opportunities for the story/dialogue. I would guess, as Pgcrooner suggests, that an inversion is quite possible just to spice things up a bit from Banjo-Kazooie. Who knows!
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:35 am

One character HAS to be more offensive and sarcastic. The balance in the Banjo games was just right! To be honest, I liked it the way it was and wouldn't invert the personalities. I think its best when you mainly play the good-natured, nice (but maybe slightly dumb) character and have his sidekick take the part of the foul-mouthed, intelligent but also sarcastic character. That way you would have a slight distance to his/her behavior and feel more like laughing about it. Another reason is that the main character starts the conversations in most cases, which wouldn't work as good when it always started with some offensive line. It's much better when the conversation starts calmly and get interrupted by some cheeky comments of the sidekick. This results in a better flow, I think!

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Yeah I guess you're right. It's a sort of good cop bad cop motif. It sort of works out for the best.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:53 pm

To me I feel it would be best to have someone who questions everything to add to the plot and as well make that animal/whatever also the funny one. Questioning really advances the plot and it just takes one of those characters to really kickstart a plot.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Just look at the artwork. One character has a friendly face, one has cold dead eyes.

ashthedragon

Postby ashthedragon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:06 pm

I would love if the lizard is the badmouthed this time. Just for a change of pace ( and to have more sarcastic lines)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”