3D Platformer(s) You Have Played Before

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

3D Platformer(s) You Have Played Before

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:46 pm

This post is to see which 3D platformer game (or games) you have played in the past.

In my case, I have mentioned that my first one was Super Mario Sunshine. But eventually, I also moved to PlayStation 2.

So here are the games that I played in the past:

1. Pac-Man World 2/3
2. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex
3. I-Ninja
4. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor's Legacy
5. Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
6. Ratchet: Deadlocked*
7. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters*
8. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
9. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
10. Super Mario 3D Land
11. Ty The Tasmanian Tiger
12. Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue

*I don't know if the Ratchet & Clank series count as 3D platformer games, so correct me if I'm wrong.

There you go. Those are some the 3D platformer games I used to play on consoles. (If I remember some other 3D platformer games that I used to play in the past, I'll post them later.)

Now what about you? Do you remember any other 3D platformer games that you used to play in the past?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Lazicful

Re: 3D Platformer(s) You Have Played Before

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:49 pm

I played all of those games! Nice to see someone else play Ty, I really liked that collectathon game, even though it's not as beautiful as BK!
And it's a shame you didn't play R&C 2; Going Commando.
I loved that, especially the plot twist where you find out Qwark is the villain.
I also played a lot of Rayman 2. I loved how dark it was compared to other games in the series. Rayman in general had a wonderful atmosphere.
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:50 pm

You've covered most of them, but I'll add Spyro, Croc, Gex and Rocket: Robot On Wheels.

And of course Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day...
Taylonic Ltd.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:52 pm

My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

ashthedragon

Postby ashthedragon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:52 pm

I would add Sonic games too, specially Sonic Adventure and 2. They are a bit more lineal but 3D platformers too ( and I love them)

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Oh, and Sly Cooper is also a pretty good platforming series. I played that quite a lot when I was a wee lad... Well, a wee'er lad than I am today.

ShinyRegice

Postby ShinyRegice » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Nintendo 64:
- Super Mario 64
- Rayman 2: The Great Escape
- Donkey Kong 64

Gamecube:
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Rayman 3: Hoodlums Havoc

Wii:
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2

Playstation 3:
- Portal 2 (does that count?)

Wish I had the opportunity to play Banjo's games...

Banjofan12

Postby Banjofan12 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Let's see, there's Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Chameleon Twist 2, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Croc, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot. I'm probably missing a couple, but those are off the top of my head.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:38 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 pm

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:38 pm

3D Platformers are my FAVORIIIIITE.

Let's see, besides all the usual Rare suspects...

Jak and Daxter is one I really like. Not a whole lot to it, but it's nice and simple with a GREAT open overworld. I just love exploring all the levels and I love how each area is connected. Characters are fun, if pretty simple. Wasn't too thrilled about the direction the franchise went in after that, though.

Crash Twinsanity is another favorite, too. I know a lot of people don't really care for the post-Naughty Dog era Crash Bandicoot games, I like them myself, especially Twinsanity. It sucks that it was originally meant to be a much MUCH bigger game that got stripped to bits, but what's left is really fun. Amazing soundtrack, too.

The Sly Cooper series is pretty fun, too! Honestly, I never thought the first 3 on PS2 were all THAT great, I mean they're FUN, but the one I really like best is the newest one, Thieves In Time. I don't even really know why I prefer it to the others. But all 3 are definitely worth playing!

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Two more that I forgot to mention on the list:

1. Super Mario 64 DS
2. Rayman Arena*

*I don't know if this one counts as a 3D platformer either.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh wow, that'd be awesome!

Sucks the dev commentary didn't get off the ground, I LOVE stuff like that. Especially for something like Twinsanity, with so many ideas and concepts that never made it into the game. I loved seeing those deleted storyboards with audio pop up on Youtube awhile back.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Another game I never really hear mentioned is Rocket: Robot on Wheels for the N64.

It is probably the closets thing to the Banjo games, even more than Mario 64 or anything.
It has a similar structure to BK, you have (I think) 6 levels that are connected through a hub world. You have 12 tokens (like Jiggies) and 250 coins (like notes) to collect on all of them. And they stay collected if you die, just like in Tooie. And you have to learn new moves to get to new levels.

And the most revolutionary thing for a game released in 1999, on the N64, there are Physics-based puzzles, drivable vehicles ( but not like Nuts and Bolts :D ), a rollercoaster that you can customize and ride and many other things. The levels are at least as big as the ones in Banjo Tooie and contain many secrets to find

And it was made by the guys who made the Sly and Infamous games.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:29 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:36 pm

I have also played Sonic Adventure 2 (the original Dreamcast Ver.) and Shadow The Hedgehog (which it was okay).

Anyone else?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't have the greatest memory, but the ones I remember right now are:

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Super Mario 64 (my very first favourite game ever; I was obsessed with it as a kid.)
All three PS1 Spyro games (I love Spyro, but they're so easy now!)
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario Sunshine (I've never finished it unfortunately.)
Super Mario Galaxy (Also never finished.)
Super Mario 3D World/Land
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex

Maybe more? I never realised how much I like the Mario series...

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:12 pm

One I didn't see mentioned here is Psychonauts. I tried it but didn't like the atmosphere. I didn't play further than world 1. May come back to it at some point if I don't have anything else to play... which may be never.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”