Moveset Speculation Land

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TheMasterDS

Moveset Speculation Land

Postby TheMasterDS » Sat May 16, 2015 9:24 pm

So there's been loads of new info lately, some of which has been about the moveset! I figure we should have a thread to put it all together and also to speculate wildly about the missing pieces!

Before we start I must say that any controls I do (and any controls you do) should use Xbox Notation since that's what they're using in house at the moment. Bottom button's A, left button's X, right button's B and top button's Y. LT and RT are the lower triggery shoulder buttons (Like LZ/RZ), and LB and RB are the other ones which are higher. There's also two button's we'll just call Start and Select for simplicities sake.

What we know for sure

(If not specified the move is on ground.)

Left Stick: Yooka Runs. Leans into turns based on how drastically he's turning.

A: Jump
A Midair: Laylee's Fingery Flap. Looks to last longer/go farther faster than Kazooie's Feathery Flap.
X: Yooka's Tail Twist: Spins on the spot and bangs his tail's knot into enemies. Seems effective enough, especially with a greater emphasis on enemies in groups.

RT: Tropical Roll! Squeeze and hold Right Trigger and Yooka rolls into a ball. At first glance it seems to be a Talon Trot analog only with a different tradeoff. Rather than having fewer attack options in this mode you ARE the attack option! You roll through dudes just like in Tropical Freeze! Jumping seems to be the tradeoff for it however I have theories about it.

Shared Resource: There will not be multiple ammos/resources for moves, but instead one shared collectible for all such moves. My guess is some sort of big fat irridescent beetle.

Things we sort of know but not really

Yooka's Contextual Changes: One of the things that's been mentioned is basically that Yooka will be able to change his state without losing the core moveset due to a chameleon's natural ability to change colors. They've said that he'll be able to eat at thing and then take on the properties of that thing. I have a few speculative examples. Basically I think they'll be various ridiculous fruits found on visually striking trees/bushes/whatever. That way you can see them from a fair distance away unlike a smaller collectible.

(Speculative) Rock Fruit: Yooka eats a Rock Fruit from a Rock Tree. Is heavier for a time. Sinks in water, attack/roll power is amped up, can roll through solid walls with cracks in them and such.

(Speculative) Inflatable Fruit: Yooka eats an Inflatable Fruit from an Inflatable Cactus. Is considerably lighter, jumps higher, floats further and can do a mega bounce to get up really high by doing a ground pound.

(Speculative) Electric Fruit: Yooka eats an Electric Fruit from a vine that grows on pretty white fences. Electrifies him, allows him to stick to magnified walls and such. Like a Claw Clamber times Iron Boots without losing any speed or moves. Electric because metal would clash with rock fruit.

(Speculative) Ice Fruit: Yooka eats an Ice Fruit off an Ice Bush. Adds a slight speed boost, allows one to run across water by freezing it, that sort of thing.

Yooka's Tongue Moves: We know that it'll be used at least for eating however we don't know if that's the end of it. Will it also function as a grappling hook? As a swinging tool? Will he have a projectile in addition to Laylee's? Will they work differently if so?

(My guess) B: Yooka's Tongue Fun. Automatically licks up fruit to eat them, grapple points to swing on them or enemies to irritate them depending on what's nearby. Not a projectile like Laylee's stuff will be.

Laylee's Echo Blasts: I think it's clear there'll be Echo Blasts that serve as eggs. However what's less clear is how precisely they'll work. Personally I think they should figure out distinct uses and quirks to each variant they come up with if they do multiple projectile types again (which is sounds like they will because they've used the plural before). Quick ones!

(My guess) LT: Mammalian Aim. Pulling this trigger slows Yooka down immensely and arms Laylee's blasts. Can auto aim straight ahead in the direction left stick specifies or use right stick to manually aim. Best of both world's approach, not losing the old fashioned duck and rough aim stuff.

(Speculative) LT+X: Shotgun Screech. Short range but near impossible to miss close up blast. Very destructive, sort of like an amped up and much faster Breegull Barge mechanically.

(Speculative) LT+RT: Long Range Jabber Jobber. Basic long range projectile, low power can be spammed.

(Stupidly Speculative) LT+RB: Bass Drop: Stronger projectile, like a grenade, takes a few seconds to detonate upon impact. More seconds if "cooked", could be used for puzzles or something. I don't know. I want Grenade Eggs back. They're great. Also it might be cool if the impact was anticipated like a real life Bass Drop.

I'm probably forgetting lots.

Wild and/or Unfounded Speculation

Flight? Probably will be an out and out flight in the game. If so it'll probably be more Tooie than Kazooie where you gotta earn the flight pad (or whatever) in each world. No idea how this'll work.

Stealth? Honestly not a fan of it. I think the State Transforms are a much better way to work in the Camo aspect and it'd be better to not bother with stealth. However it could totally be a thing.

Moves out of Roll? I think this is an exciting bit. The roll IS the RT mode! It's the duck! What if you could do like a few moves out of it? That'd be pretty cool right?

Reversal "Laylee Carries Yooka" Running Mode? Maybe. Seems like the Talon Trot equivalent is already there though so maybe not.

Invincibility? Could be!

X in air? Probably an attack that's real good.

RT or LT in air? One of those will be a ground pound I expect.

Swimming? Oh yeah gotta be. I'd expect Laylee's echoes to work like dolphins or submarines and be pretty damn useful underwater.

Anyway...

That's what I got. I might've missed things. What say you? Have at it!

chameleojack

Re: Moveset Speculation Land

Postby chameleojack » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm

I really like the pre-rendered promo image they have of Laylee lifting Yooka by the tail instead of his hands. It's a very whimsical pose, whereas the current pose--while functional in that it minimizes the collision envelope and transitions quickly into a running pose--looks like a Hanoi Hilton torture pose for Yooka's arms. :P

"YAAAAAAY!" :lol:

"YAAAAAARGH!!!" :o

40 years later

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 am

He can also roll into a ball and then roll forward faster than he can otherwise walk. Yooka's mad flexible.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 pm

In the latest screenshots either Ducking or Stealth Mode was confirmed. Could be both. I'd guess it's mapped to Left Trigger with roll remaining on right. Or they're changing the roll to activate like the Talon Trot rather than being mapped directly to Right Trigger.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Side note: When we're discussing moves. I sure hope Toybox ++ will not include all special moves that have to be learned in the game... would be a spoiler! I'm going to send a message to Playtonic asking this.
Stop picking your nose

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:25 pm

I have an idea concerning the roll move. In one of the latter world, it could be upgraded so that Yooka can skip on the water surface. It could be used to reach land portion (located in the middle of water, of course) that are too high to reach by just swimming and jumping out of the water.

LucarioOfLegends

Postby LucarioOfLegends » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:06 pm

I do like most of the stuff mentioned so far,even if i find the fruit mechainic sketchy (I think fruit should be the ammo for the echo blasts) and the variants of the echo blast. However I would like to suggest an air attack move and puzzle/exploration tool at the same time.

So when Yooka and Laylee are in the air, laylee has the ability to throw Yooka at an or place while in ball form. If it hits the ground, Yooka rolls out of the ball and Laylee come back to Yooka. If it hits an enemy/target/wall, Yooka ricochets off of the object for as moment and before he falls, Laylee catches him.

Do you think its a good idea? :?:

Zita

Postby Zita » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:20 pm

| | |

LucarioOfLegends

Postby LucarioOfLegends » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Still interested in projectiles.

soulstorm64

Postby soulstorm64 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Moveset should just be the fundamentals of a 3d platformers but expanded on, from what I can tell I can see the following coming

1 tail grip to swing on certain platforms to reach areas.

2 the confirmed Egg projectile of the game "echo blasts"

3 the rolling maneuver

4 backflip

5 tongue grab Gex style.

That's all I could think of now.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”