References to other (Rare) games...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yookalar_Bomb

References to other (Rare) games...

Postby Yookalar_Bomb » Mon May 18, 2015 10:56 am

So, back in the day, Rare's games were always humorous, and would always make references to their own games, the fact that the characters are in a game, or poke fun at other's games. And throughout the adventure, if you did some digging around, you'd find bits and pieces of Rare stuff from their other games, such as music, costumes, or just some text. Now with Yooka-Laylee, what would you like to see referenced, and how would you want it referenced?

If I were to answer that question, I would obviously go for a Banjo-Kazooie reference, and I would hope for something as little as a pair of beaten up, old yellow shorts on a random area on the ground, then later a beaten up, blue backpack lying around in a tree somewhere.
Winners don't lose.

RandomYoshi

Re: References to other (Rare) games...

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 am

I'd be fine with the references if they weren't very "in your face" with them. Plus, they'd probably need to be sneaky with how they pulled them off anyway; can't have lawsuits happening because of copyrighted material, y'know?
Imagine there's this super amazing signature here.

I like doing it this way because then this signature could be many different things depending on the observer. It's very quaint, yet succint.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 am

....A "No hopers" bin.

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 am

I like doing it this way because then this signature could be many different things depending on the observer. It's very quaint, yet succint.

Sacaldur

Postby Sacaldur » Mon May 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Copyrithed material shouldn't be an issue for making references to other games. A blue backpack laying around somewhere in the game can hardly be copyrighted, since it's just a generic blue backpack.
Magicka, as an example, had so many references to other games and movies ("a cross in the swamp" as a reference to Star Wars), but I never heard of any troubles with other copyright holders.

I expect the guys of playtonic games to reference other stuff as much and in the same way as they did in their old games. But I agree, subtle references preferable.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon May 18, 2015 12:48 pm

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Very likely references won't be too much obvious, the same way Pokémon did with movie references when the hero is watching TV at home.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 18, 2015 2:09 pm

BK and BT did the references well. Off the top of my head I can think of a picture of Berri from CBFD in the bunk room at Rusty Bucket Bay, Bottles' children with Jet Force Gemini posters and a DK doll, the various magnets on the fridge in Grunty Industries, Sabreman at Hailfire Peaks...

I'm sure there will be reference aplenty.
you kuh lady

selebu

Postby selebu » Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't know but i kind of feel like they shouldn't reference old rare games. They are trying to build their own universe. it would be kind of strange if the first game of that universe constantly references "a different universe"

Sacaldur

Postby Sacaldur » Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 pm

But this thread is not only about references to other rare games, as there already were references to entirely different games. DarkTone already described an example found in Donkey Kong Country 2.

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri May 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Something I never noticed, because I had no idea who this was:

I was looking up all the stuff David Wise has done, and I stumbled across "Mr. Pants." Immediately recognized him as the bloke on Boggy's TV, apparently he was also a constellation in the Dogdems Dome. I always just thought he was some kind of strange snowman.

These kind of seemingly insignificant references are what I hope to see! You only notice them if you're really looking for them. Nothing overt, nothing too big, just small stuff. Like The Witcher 2's easter egg making fun of Assassin's Creed's with a dead Ezio look-a-like in some hay: out of the way and inconspicuous, but obvious for someone in-the-know what the joke is.
Last edited by Nanirourou on Fri May 22, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
you kuh lady

dance1211

Postby dance1211 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 pm

I think the only true way they can reference BK is by having YL in their house doing a jig-saw of a photorealistic bear and bird. That way it doesn't directly mention them but you know exactly what it's about.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri May 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Ed Bryan, former Rare artist who designed Mumbo and more, does tons of subtle references in his work for . They make children's apps and books. He'll share Vines and images on Twitter of his Banjo-Kazooie references all the time.

https://vine.co/v/eKnIKHJjwEY (caption: "Every little bear needs a pet fish!")
https://vine.co/v/eZ29Jh22nXp (looks like concept sketches for the same house above, notice the banjos and the same fishbowl)
https://twitter.com/mingellasfella/stat ... 1136814080 (confirming the iconic goldfish makes an appearance in their Snow White storybook app)
https://twitter.com/mingellasfella/stat ... 7461575680 ("Bear & Bird" in Snow White...who plays puzzles and is going up against a witch!)

If these are any example, there should be plenty of room for referencing in YL.
you kuh lady

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat May 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Something that would be a nice reference from a Rare(ware) game in Yooka-Laylee, is that there's a monitor exactly the same as L.O.G. (from Nuts & Bolts) found smashed up in a dumpster, with a short description on it reading: Do not collect this rubbish!

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 am

I could see someone doing the laundry, and there happens to be things like yellow shorts, a light blue hoodie, and scarlet underpants!

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun May 24, 2015 9:50 pm

I doubt there will be any blatant references to Rare's games in Yooka-Laylee.

I'm not bothered if there aren't either - this game is Playtonic's best foot forward. They'll want to look forwards, rather than back.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”