Gameplay Crossing petition

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EarthBound

Gameplay Crossing petition

Postby EarthBound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:08 pm

What's "Gamemplay Crossing", dude?

Well, it's a name of my own. I use it in some Spanish forums and with some friends to refer those moments in which gameplay is still the same (no changes in controls, nor in moves or anything like that) but the objective or some aesthetic effects make it to resemble a completely different game.

For example, in this level of Super Mario 3D World, there's a gameplay crossing with vertical shoot'em-ups:

I believe a game by ex-Rare employees and for classic games fans should include this kind of technique in order to bring us a varied, original game.

Thanks!

Taylor

Re: Gameplay Crossing petition

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:17 pm

This reminds me of the maze in Banjo-Kazooie's Gobi's Valley. It sort of felt like a different genre -- birds-eye view camera puzzle. I'm sure we'd get similar features like this in Ukulele; it's part of what made Banjo levels so fun.
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Is this similar to the mini games from the previous ones, like there were dodgems, boss battles, mazes, races, slides etc.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm

In Rayman Origins there's this small clever thing. It's a game where you always run from left to right. That's the only thing you do, all the time (well, pretty much, in the main levels anyway). But there are two very different incentives to run, and it feels completely different to play. There are the levels where you run after a treasure chest or a fairy, and there are the levels where you run from obstacles like fishes or fire. In both cases you just run all the same, but it feels nothing alike.

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:10 am

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:19 am

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 am

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:56 am

I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:23 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”