Why Bloodstained is currently more successful than this?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Tidus1117

Why Bloodstained is currently more successful than this?

Postby Tidus1117 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I was comparing both Kickstarters campaigns, and I was wondering why this other game is more successful?

Bloodstained with only 6 days has 30k Backers and $2.4million.
Yooka-Laylee with 19 days has 53k backers and $2.55million

In a matter of days Bloodstained at this rate Bloodstained will become one of the most successful campaigns.

My guess is that since they do provide physical copies people are willing to pay 60 bucks+ for the game meanwhile in YL we have ton of people pledging just for the digital option...

What do you guys think? I really wanted YL to be on the top 15 Kickstarters.... Oh well :(

MadDemon64

Re: Why Bloodstained is currently more successful than this?

Postby MadDemon64 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Probably because Castlevania, IGA's creation, is a Konami published franchise, and Konami has been making some very stupid decisions lately, what with their firing of Hideo Kojima and removing his name from MGS5, cancellation of Silent Hills and removal of PT from the playstation store, and recent announcement to only focus on mobile gaming. Add to that the fact Konami's absolute horrible mistreatment of the Silent Hill franchise with the most recent releases, especially the HD port of 2 and 3, and the fact that we haven't had a decent Castlevania, especially a metroidvania one, in a long time, and you can probably guess that people are feeling rather vindictive against Konami.

Jim Sterling went on record saying that a major reason why he backed Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained was because he wanted to give the current iterations of Rare and Konami a great big middle finger for their mismanagement of games they have produced. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what many people were thinking when they backed Bloodstained. Heck, remember Mighty No. 9, the spiritual successor to Mega Man? $3,845,170 when they only asked for $900,000. We have not gotten a Mega Man game in forever. The only things we have gotten recently are Mega Man playable in Smash, $0.75 Mii Fighter costumes in Smash of Mega Man X and Proto Man, and a free Mega Man costume for your Felyne in Monster Hunter 4.

See what I'm getting at? When people feel a certain amount of hate against a certain game company for mismanaging a certain beloved franchise and/or making some seriously poor business decisions, people are bound to back a spiritual successor to said franchise when it is posted on kickstarter by the creator of the original aforementioend franchise, and they will give far more money than the creators could ever hope for. In other words, "Build it and they will come".
Last edited by MadDemon64 on Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I have no idea what the other one is, and no interest in it either.

You might be right with the physical version theory. I would have paid more for a physical console copy. I am not interested in toys/posters/collectable items so the only one I was interested in was console download.

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue May 19, 2015 4:01 pm

My guess would be that Castlevania type games have a slightly smaller, yet just as dedicated following. It also helps that the man leading the project has worked on just about every Castlevania game since Symphony of the Night. His name alone would have most Metroidvania fans throwing money at their screens. I know I did; nothing wrong with bringing back the classics.

If anything, we should be glad that Bloodstained and Y-L are getting so much love and moolah. It goes to show that people actually miss these genres and want them back, despite what most AAA publishers think.
"Hands off my bread."

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Yooka-Laylee only asks 10 pounds for the full game
Most of the backers pledge between 10-15 pounds. 30.000/50.000 backers

Bloodstained asks 28 dollars for the full game
most backers pledge this amount. 11.000/30.000
and another 8.000 pledge 60 dollars for the physical edition 19.000/30.000
Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Easy. Their digital copy is way more expensive and has more people at or above that level. They also have more options above $2000. While Yooka-Laylee got a lot of voice-acting backers, this other game has stuff like "put your pet in the game" for $2000+.
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 19, 2015 5:17 pm

A number of reasons.

- Bloodstained is more expensive

- 2D platformers sell better than 3D ones

- if Yooka Laylee didn't exist, 3D platformers would still exist thanks to Mario, Hat in Time, etc; while there's a small Metroidvania presence in the indie scene, it's been seven years since Order of Ecclesia and eight since Metroid Prime 3

- Bloodstained has in-game content exclusive to backers

- Bloodstained has more appealing rewards for lower prices, eating up more of the budget but wrangling in people wanting a physical copy for $60 or a physical deluxe edition for $100

- If players that got the games both Kickstarters bank on the nostalgia of at the age of five, the Yooka Laylee backers would be 21; Castlevania's fanbase includes both fans of the Metroidvania entries (22) and older fans that had been playing since the linear games. These older fans are more likely to have more disposable income

- Bloodstained has over a dozen major Youtubers endorsing them in return for "clans" in the credits
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Also, Bloodstained makes a smart move by offering rewards for fan devotement. Gaining additional media coverage with this and giving people a reason to come back:

Then again, I wouldn't say Bloodstained performs better...
I mean, currently Yooka Laylee has aboout 20.000 backers more.

It's the thought that counts and a good indication of what fans are craving for.
Playtonic has met their goal and they will all be about the game, not about the money.

In the end it will not matter. I will buy both games :)
Though I'm more hyped for Yooka Laylee.
Stop picking your nose

Tidus1117

Postby Tidus1117 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Its cool to see how Playtonic not offering anything, there is tons fanart, figures, even animated videos and music covers! It would be cool if there was some sort of metric to measure all this devotion from fans. Like that one in Bloodstained (2k fan arts, etc etc)

selebu

Postby selebu » Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Basically if the digital steam edition would cost as much as Bloodstained, we'd have 200,000$ more.
Also a few extra bucks from the pricier console edition.
However the biggest thing are probably the physical versions.

I also believe that if the "Simultaneous day 1 release on all consoles" was the 2m£ goal, the pledges would still come in.
I think that would be the biggest incentive for people.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue May 19, 2015 7:37 pm

What are the odds on a late publisher, like MN9?

selebu

Postby selebu » Tue May 19, 2015 8:27 pm

It's in the realm of possibility. However as stated by Playtonic, they want to stay independent in their decision processes.
So if a publisher comes into play, the publisher won't have any word on any matter whatsoever. Not sure if there is a publisher willing to do that.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Wed May 20, 2015 3:09 am

Castlevania is a very iconic franchise among gaming dinosaurs such as myself. I went with the $60 option to get a physical copy of the game with exclusive content. If Yooka-Laylee had a physical copy among its backer rewards, I would have happily given its kickstarter $60 also.

That said, I'm not looking at it as any sort of competition and am glad to see both games receive so much support and enthusiasm. In the future, I hope to see more key figures of the game industry head out on their own and realize their creative visions without being impeded by corporate goons.

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 am

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Sun May 24, 2015 5:02 am

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has just around as much of a legacy it's following as Yooka-Laylee. Frankly, I'm backing both games, though I have more of a fondness of Yooka-Laylee, as I'm more familiar with this type of game. I played Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Toy Story 2 when I was a kid (with several more in my teen and adult years), whereas I only started playing "Metrovania" games much more recently. (That genre seriously needs a better name. Remember "Doom Clone"?) Titles such as Metroid Prime, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bunny Must Die, Devil May Cry, and you could even say "Banjo-Tooie"! Backing both, excited for both, hoping both will be successful.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun May 24, 2015 3:19 pm

Playtonic decided not to bloat the game with stretch goals. So backers have no reason to raise their pledges.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun May 24, 2015 8:29 pm

^ Except for, in a universally impossible case-scenario, PlayTonic decided to raise 2,500,000 or so GBP's, for a direct port of Yooka-Laylee for the New Nintendo 3DS (XL) and the PlayStation Vita, even after the KickStarter ends, and they may ask for more money via PayPal. ^
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu May 28, 2015 11:42 am

But just like everything else, Playtonic have reasons for doing this. I care more about a great game, than a meh kickstarter rivalry.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Thu May 28, 2015 11:50 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”