Yooka Laylee Story Context

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
chrisormo

Yooka Laylee Story Context

Postby chrisormo » Wed May 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Hey everyone :) I've been reading most of the threads on here since the kickstarter began, and have always found them full of useful and interesting information/people. I've had a bit of trouble being able to verify my account and then forgetting the password (oops!) but now I'm finally able to contribute.

I wrote this on the KS comments earlier today and so will copy it here:

'Also as I can't post on the forums at the moment (the email verification thing never came :( ) I thought it would be a good time to say that I love the context we've been given to YL so far.

The universe is set within a book, which could even be broken up into shorter stories or a series of novels. The levels will seem to be based off of these, and can allow for some fun names and references. The main collectables are 'Pagies' which would be really fun to collect and naturally help you progress through the game as they (quite literally) add on chapters of content.

Something interesting to talk about is the main villain of the game. Perhaps they could be a character that thought they never got the limelight they deserved, and are rewriting the universes story so that he/she reigns supreme. Or it could be that they were someone who was defeated at the end of the novel, but to revive them self they ripped out all of the pages, rewinding time and history so that they had another chance of succeeding. They probably didn't count on YL stepping out to challenge them though. The 'underdogs' could even begin the story with one page telling them they're on a great journey however not understanding why, as their previous stories have been wiped away!

Just some fun thoughts and ideas. But I love that there is a lot of natural potential for there to be a simple yet fun story that would make sense from a game play perspective.'

Looking forward to what everyone else thinks of the possibilities that the universe they are setting their games up for could mean. I could be searching way too deep into any connections between the available info, but it''s always fun to guess at! :D

Scrubber

Re: Yooka Laylee Story Context

Postby Scrubber » Wed May 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I'd rather the main villains motives be of a more serious nature, it makes the cutsenes more dramatic and cinematic. Like kidnapping a girl to steal her beauty and killing other life forms to heal yourself.

Welcome to the discussions BTW.

charlton_3393

Postby charlton_3393 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Some awesome ideas there! When I heard about the 'Storybook' Idea the only thing I could think of was Yoshi Story on the N64... I remember loving that popup book look that it had (it was the only part of the game that was 3D haha) I also used to get really emotional and teary at the end credits when you finished the game...

There are a numerous amounts of stories that could be told and the way they could be told, Judging by their past work I have faith in them that they will give us something for hopefully everyone to enjoy.

chrisormo

Postby chrisormo » Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 pm

chrisormo

Postby chrisormo » Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed May 20, 2015 1:21 pm

From the villain thread:

I was thinking about a story book writer who in the end couldn't think of a decent ending/plot for his last story, so in the end he just ripped the book apart. Vowing he would never create a sequel. Now this story writer must be cured of his madness as the book got an will of its own built from the pent up rage/regret of the story writer.
Thanks to his anger the once happy story became polluted with monsters and darkness. Your quest is to prove the story writer wrong by showing the potential of the original story and finding the lost pages.

I actually kinda liked this, It's basically you vs. the architect.
Stop picking your nose

chrisormo

Postby chrisormo » Wed May 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed May 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Yoshis Story is a great game, one of the best on N64. Love the music. Used to be sh## scared of getting kidnapped by kamek when I was young.

I reckon it will be on WiiU Eshop sometime In the near future.

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Thu May 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”