Platforming challenges: Rusty Bucket Bays engine room

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Platforming challenges: Rusty Bucket Bays engine room

Postby Yavga » Fri May 22, 2015 2:03 pm

What I gather from a lot of people is that they absolutely detest these kind of challenges.
I actually think they are very enjoyable, this is where platforming gets real!
I hope they will add certain environments in Yooka-Laylee where there are moving parts as well, even grander of scope then the engine room! If I do a speed run, I want it to be difficult and not just a challenge of exploiting as many glitches as possible. These kind of challenges add to the difficulty of those :)

How was your experience with this challenge? Do you hope to see these kind of mechanics back in Yooka-Laylee?
Last edited by Yavga on Fri May 22, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop picking your nose

Rueckkoppler

Re: Platforming challenges: Rusty Bucket Bays engine room

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Yes, please bring it back! I think the two only really frustrating things about this segment were the (from todays standards) clunky controls & that all notes got lost after Banjo's death. But I think we can agree that Yooka & Laylee will control MUCH more precise & that they don't bring back the system of N64's Banjo-Kazooie. Ever since Tooie, they saved notes, even after death. Since the porting team did the same with the XBLA release of Banjo-Kazooie, I expect Playtonic to continue in doing here.

croissant

Postby croissant » Fri May 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Last edited by croissant on Fri May 22, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 22, 2015 3:24 pm

I don't detest it at all. I want some danger I don't want an easy game.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 pm

I hope to see many difficult platforming challenges in Yooka-Laylee (such as a massive gauntlet to reach the main villain in his/her keep), that push players to their limits. Because there's nothing more satisfying in a video game, then when you finally beat a hard challenge that you tried to beat for days, but failed time and time again.

As for Rusty Bucket Bay's engine room. It's a decent challenge, but it wasn't controller smashing difficult. No, that would be getting the platinum medals on the Floyd missions in Jet Force Gemini.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Fri May 22, 2015 4:28 pm

I found it a little bit tedious.

Okay. I lied. I found it REALLY tedious.

But really nice. Like one of the guys said above, is how 3D platforming should be. No doubts about it.

I imagine a level like this on Yooka-Laylee, but instead of a canal, these kinds of Rusty Bucket Bay-like mechanics should be kept for the last level, preferably in a castle.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri May 22, 2015 6:52 pm

I like that challenge. People (including me) just complain because it's literally the only hard jiggy in the game. It's the only place where you can suddenly and instantly die inside a world with little warning. And it doesn't help that the camera angles the room provides are like 5 degrees off centered.
Make the forum great again.

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Fri May 22, 2015 8:13 pm

"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Fri May 22, 2015 10:04 pm

That engine room is litterally the only reason I never managed to beat the game on the original N64... and the reason why I were only able to play my favourite level, click clock woods, on a file where my friend stopped right after it, because he got so annoyed by it as well.

That said, It wasn't the level's fault that it threw us off, it was Banjo-Kazooie's faulty game design, which is why I had no issue 100% the game on the XBox 360 version, which fixed almost all the faulty game design elements from the original. (including bad draw distance as well as the loss of notes at death and the fixed Stop n' Swapt)

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri May 22, 2015 10:54 pm

That room was pretty frustrating, but as long as you knocked that room out first you didn't have as much of a problem of dying for the rest of the level. Don't get me wrong, I found it EXTREMELY challenging and terrifying as a 10-year-old kid and hated that room. I did eventually 100% it though (with some help from AOL... :roll: ). And BOY was that the best feeling in the world! I didn't have to ever see that stinking room again. That moment of elation was incredible. Replaying it a couple of months ago I found it easier than I had before, but it was still intimidating!

I hope they throw in some really difficult stuff, the kind of stuff that will make you rage and throw your controller at the wall and put it down for a couple of days, only so you can build up to the eventual payoff of actually beating it and feel amazing.
you kuh lady

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 am

^Jesus! That-throwing-your-controller-at-the-wall rage quit is the most exaggerated and scary thing I find in a modern gamer.^
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Sat May 23, 2015 12:58 am

I loved that area, very imaginative. Didn't care much for the underwater pipe sections though, but that was mostly b.c. of bad experiences with Sonic.

Typo

Postby Typo » Sat May 23, 2015 1:28 am

not bad

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sat May 23, 2015 2:07 am

you kuh lady

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:32 am

As a child I found this room difficult and frightening, but it was actually nothing compared with some areas in Conker's Bad Fur Day where you must avoid twirling fan blades through a drainpipe.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 am

Stop picking your nose

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Sat May 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Yes! YE-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-S! Bring on the challenge! Make it more! I NEED MORE!!!

Just as long as the camera moves properly and the direction Yooka gets knocked back in isn't randomized. At least... I think that seemed to be the case in Banjo-Kazooie.

Also, something that wasn't so common back then, but has been increasing in use in modern times is making the optional stuff more challenging... unless it's boss-related. Then go nuts. But otherwise, an engine room kind of area probably shouldn't have pagies in it... maybe. That and it should probably be hidden away well, to make it a challenge to even find or get to the place in the first place!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”