Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Jellyfunk

Re: Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:06 am

Console companies don't need to steal sales from each other anymore. There's enough room for all platforms to be successful without exclusivity.

kheknin

Re: Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Postby kheknin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Absolutely. Maybe then, Nintendo could also buy the rights to Banjo-Kazooie and have Playtonic use them in some way. There's really no reason Nintendo shouldn't and at the point Playtonic's at now, they could get them for a fairly cheap price.

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Fri May 01, 2015 12:15 am

I can't see how it'd be beneficial for the fans if Playtonic was exclusive to a single company.

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:34 am

I know that nintendo is known for the quality of their games , but I want the Playtonic team to have full control. That way they can do it exactly the way they want to make it. If a big corporation gets involved they may push for a quick release which ends up with a buggy unfinished game. There are tons of examples of this. Creed unity(buggy and unfinished), Titanfall(had a lack of content), Evolve(lack of content) just to name a few.

Developers like playtonic are pouring their hearts and souls into the projects. They know exactly what they want content wise. They don't need a corporation pushing them around , its finished when its finished.

ottake

Postby ottake » Fri May 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah if Nintendo is smart they should do this, or at least make a push to get this ported to their hardware.
Considering the smart choices they have been doing last year with DLC and exclusives I think they should be wise enough to figure this one out

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Playtonic have already said for this first game they have no interest in anybody elses help no matter what the offer, they want to do it all by themselves so that it is exactly the game they and we want it to be.

Neuro-Wraith

Postby Neuro-Wraith » Sun May 03, 2015 6:29 am

I for one don't want Nintendo to buy Playtonic. People are already acting as if it is a Nintendo game with all the amiibo talk. People seem to miss the point that it wasn't "Nintendo" that bought us the old games we love, it was these very people. Now they are working on a project due to their passion for game design, which is why they are getting so much support. I am pleased that it is available on all platforms, for everyone to enjoy, and I don't want some big company swooping in and ruining that in the future. The Playtonic team should be able to do what they want with their game and hopefully games in the future. If they want to work with Nintendo then sure, it is their choice, but they have something really special going here, and I don't want to see that ruined.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 6:49 am

I think it would be great to use them as a more loose second party.
They can make games that are exclusive to Nintendo, without having to make Nintendo games exclusively.

For instance, I'm sure playtonic would love the opportunity to work on Donkey Kong again.

This would be great for many reasons, one of which would be freeing up Retro.

SketchyChris

Postby SketchyChris » Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 am

I personally think if nintendo works with Playtonic at all, it SHOULD work similarly to how they work with Sega. In otherwords, in contracts, I don't want Playtonic being restricted by having a supporter that can kind of control them however they might feel is within their boundaries because... well they'd be supporting them.

Like I said, something like how Sega made a few sonic games for nintendo for a while, but then now is making multi-platform games again under their own license. Or like Fromsoftware and Demons Souls and how they work with Sony Japan studios when they make a game that's a Playstation Exclusive.

Other than that though, I'd rather Playtonic be it's own big company that makes games by itself :P. Rare has always been stuck under control of one company or another, and I'd like to see them free to do what they want for once.

Vyse

Postby Vyse » Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 am

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 am

Chris.P.Bacon

Postby Chris.P.Bacon » Sun May 03, 2015 11:05 am

The truth about Rare and Nintendo is somewhere in the middle..

After Perfect Dark devs were leaving in droves and Nintendo knew that the quality was dropping.

And a 180 million $ deal was too good for Nintendo too turn down plus they couldnt afford the money (or plain didnt want to)to buy Rare out either....

In retrospect Nintendo got the better of the deal just sad we didnt get any more magical games from them . No disrespect to Retro Studios( they are great too) could never fill the hole Rare left.....

BUT one thing Nintendo could do what Mircorsoft can never do is to put in new ideas to better the game. The Japanese didnt interfere but partnered rare- nurtured them encoruaged them

Id love to see Playtonic under Nintendos wing again too. BUT this is a big butt do the Playtonic devs want this? id only be happy if it was a old Rare type relationship again and give them plenty of time resoruces to do great games!

ATM NO Playtonic should bring out Yooka-Laylee and let the publishers see.

Hell what if Yooka-laylee sells like 5 million. They wouldnt even NEED any cash from elsehwere!

I think they can do a great game so very excited. I predict Nov-Dez 2016 personally......

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 am

What were the mistakes with Nintendo and rare? Maybe both parties could learn from the past. But I would still prefer them on Other platforms.

Metafox

Postby Metafox » Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm a bit confused by the sometimes oddly dramatic interpretation of the console manufacturing business here. I guess I've been out of the console wars for too long. As a PC-gaming refugee, I wouldn't see any benefit in not being able to play Playtonic's future games.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 pm

I suspect that Playtonic won't even consider partnering with anyone until Yooka-Laylee is finished.
Once the game is out and all the main companies can all see what this new company is capable of creating, then they'll likely receive lucrative offers.

Hopefully Nintendo gets first dibs - Sony is too strapped for cash to be able to afford any new companies while Microsoft would just do to them what they did to Rare.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:31 pm

While I am a Nintendo fanboy, they should stay independent, their philosophy of making sure no platform is left out is something more companies should adopt.

twosips

Postby twosips » Wed May 06, 2015 4:03 pm

This would be just plain bad business for Playtonic. The Wii U has done pretty terribly. Why limit the game to the next-gen console that's struggling the most?

This game has been hyped all over the place by many, many game sites so theres a good chance it will do quite well on many platforms. A lot better than it'd do on Nintendo alone.

lupaie

Postby lupaie » Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 pm

I hope Nintendo will be a publisher but I wish Playtonic to stay independent .

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Tue May 12, 2015 10:28 am

I completely disagree. It would be awful if Nintendo or any mainstream publisher had the rights to this IP, because then they would just shelf it like they did Banjo-Kazooie!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”