Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Re: Nintendo should REALLY think about locking this project up!

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 12, 2015 12:52 pm

That's a good point. A lot of people are grumpy with Microsoft for presumably "ruining" Rare, but it was NINTENDO who SOLD them in the first place! How come nobody is grumpy at Nintendo for that crap? I've never thought of that myself until now.
Make the forum great again.

Mendinso

Postby Mendinso » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm going to side with some of the people in this thread and absolutely believe Playtonic should remain independent as a third party company and publish for what they want to. First off, I'm in the camp where I don't have a Wii U, though I do have a 3DS. One of the reasons I've held off getting a Wii U (though I do admittedly have a 3DS) is partially due to Nintendo's stance on region locking, which has been an issue with me. Both Microsoft and Sony have moved entirely away from this practice, while Nintendo still stands by this. This also could potentially lock out users who want to play Yooka-Laylee that are in an unsupported localization region if Nintendo decides not to publish in that region.

Also, for me, it's also an issue where outside a couple games, I haven't had felt a reason to get a Wii U, though the library is slowly increasing, making me thinking more about getting a console down the road. I do, however, own a Playstation 4, though a mid-tier PC as well, but I absolutely plan to go for the Playstation 4 version of this. If say Nintendo were to snap up the rights to this, I'd be one of many players who would be locked out from playing this game, until when I could maybe put down money for a Wii U. Even then, I'm leaning towards getting a foreign Wii U which could potentially lock me out of the game still if there's no localization decision for that region.

Either way, the more systems the game is available on, I feel the better chance players will be able to play this game and be able to find enjoyment on. Limiting the audience to one console is never a good thing, as it always locks people out of a chance to play it. Consoles aren't cheap, as well there could be other reasons why people don't have multiple consoles (such as space issues, which I'm currently running into at the moment).

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Tue May 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue May 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 pm

I have better plan:
Nintendo buys the Banjo & Conker IP's from MS and makes Playtonic a second party developer (after some good consultation).
Give the Banjo & Conker IP's to Playtonic.
LET THE MAGIC HAPPEN AGAIN!!

This way it will be like how it was back in 1998, etc.! :D

cptchuckles

Postby cptchuckles » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 am

I think this Nintendo hype is just nostalgia. Aside from the individual devs having worked with Nintendo in the past, I don't see why Nintendo in particular is relevant to them now. I loved the Banjo franchise on the N64 but Nintendo seems to be becoming increasingly niche. I think it would benefit both parties for Nintendo to have Playtonic's games on their systems, but making Playtonic a 2nd party rather than a 3rd party would limit their brand imo. I also want the Playtonic devs to remain off of anyone else's leash and be able to make exactly what they want, how they want.

and because pc master race

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 am

I hope that never happens. Playtonic becoming exclusive to any one platform wouldn't do much more than limit who can play their games.

ontels

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 am

Whoa that was quite the necro.
Pagies in cagies

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Wasn't that the problem in the first place?

ontels

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:28 pm

What do you mean?
Pagies in cagies

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:00 pm

In this day and age it is always far more beneficial for a developer to be 3rd party. In order to make as much money as they can, a game dev wants to be on as many platforms as possible to reach the most people and sell the most copies of their game. I think the Nintendo platform only makes up 10% of the gaming install base. If you become a Nintendo 2nd party developer you are reducing your sales opportunity by 90% for no reason. Would you rather make 10 million dollars or 1 million, its an obvious choice.

This is why you dont see many 2nd party developers anymore. The game developers want to make money for themselves, they dont care about Nintendo, or Microsoft, or Sony. In the 90s developing a game for different systems was far less feasible, and there were other complications as well.

A dev usually had to pick a system and stick with that. This caused the goals of game devs and console makers to align, as they were both had a vested interest in the success of the console. The console company wanted to sell consoles to make money, the game dev also wanted more consoles to be sold so that the install base would be bigger and they could sell more games. Things have been greatly simplified by technology and there is no reason to be 2nd party anymore.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”