World Theming

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pirulo

Re: World Theming

Postby Pirulo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:49 am

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

I would love to see a world like the timeless river in kingdom hearts 2. A nostalgic black n white cartoon world but in the art/style of banjo kazooie (googly eyes/humour).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1neAgF-TK1Q

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am

Ohh and maybe a world set in a comic book with panels and before I forget a japanese styled world with ninjas/samurais and sushi enemys with googly eyes ... maybe with a glimpse of anime influence.
This would be awesome, banjo kazooie allready had ancient themes like in mumbos mountain, mayahem temple, gobys valley so why not old japanese.

Austin_4e

Constructive Topic: Level Themes We'd Like To See!

Postby Austin_4e » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 am

To start off, this is my first post on the forums and I just wanted to say THANK YOU PLAYTONIC GAMES! I've been waiting many many years for something like this to happen and I could cry with how happy I am to hear such great people are back together trying to recreate a beloved era of my childhood.

Anyways, I thought it would be a constructive idea to *attempt* to make a general thread for fans here to share ideas for environments, level types, worlds, etc. that they would absolutely LOVE to see your team pull off with modern technology. It could also serve to help see what ideas are popular depending on what people respond to.

So for example, my absolute FAVORITE stages in Banjo and Banjo-Tooie were stages like Click Clock Wood and Hailfire Peaks. I loved how despite being one level they had extremely different dynamics that made them feel like multiple levels in one. It's unique, it's fresh, and a concept I don't really see a lot in any game.

I'd LOVE any level or area that could have a similar "gimmick" for lack of a better word and I could only imagine what your team could do with the vast change in tech between the N64 days and now.

So what stages, levels, environments, settings, etc. does everyone else want to see come to life?

EDIT: Well it appears a thread already existed, sorry about that, GUH-HUH!
EEKUM BOKUM!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 am

Last edited by lavamario on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 pm

BetterThanYou

Postby BetterThanYou » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 am

i just made a list of all the levels i can think of. some of these may fit in other categories▸=a level theme,▶︎=fairly necessary for this game,•=may be a section of a level

▶︎plains/hills/mayan/jungle
▸forest
▶︎ice/snow
▸fire/lava
▶︎•spooky/halloween
▶︎factory
▸fair/park
▸beach
▸ocean/water
▸desert/aztec/Egyptian
•cave/mines/underground
•pirate
▸medieval/castle
▸Chinese/Japanese
▸town/city/village
•train
▸old west
▸mountain
▸sky
▸future/advanced
▸dino/cave age
▸•food/cake
▸small/toy

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:23 am

That's a pretty exhaustive list you've drawn up; it covers pretty much everything. Playtonic need only blindfold themselves and point towards the screen now!
Taylonic Ltd.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 am

I think it would be cool to mix and match certain themes, here is an idea: A dessert desert!

All the NPCs would have to be some sort of food related to desserts (fruits, sweets, etc), and boss of the world is literally trying to eat it away!
The boss of all Yoshis

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 am

Dessert desert? Sounds a bit like the second world from New Super Mario Bros. U

Taylonic Ltd.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 am

The boss of all Yoshis

Werehog

Postby Werehog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 am

Maybe a world that is like a pop-up book would be interesting. You might have to pop some platforms up using switches or tabs or something.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:00 am

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 am

I really like the idea of the B-Movie themed world. I think it'd be funny if it was an 80s style cinema you start in, with a really ugly carpet, and classic arcade machines (that could be linked to Pagies). The main music in that Hub area would be in the style of a cheesy 80s New Wave styled song muffled by the crappy speakers. I vote calling this level Mediocore Matinee.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:42 am

GruntMaster

Postby GruntMaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 pm

I think a space themed level would be cool! With varying gravity to mix up the game mechanics! Something we haven't seen in BK, BT, or DK64.

Also, a city themed world?

Just came up with this one: a canopy based level! A level with an upward dynamic, spend a lot of time high up in canopies with wooden bridges and high up platforms and so forth. Lots of up and down climbing, hardly any time on the ground.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:05 am

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 am

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:22 am

I'd like to see a world inspired by the Fountain of Dreams (such a magical stage):

I really like this dream/magic theme, it could work well in a platformer (maybe redefining basic platforming like SMG did, by adding some 'dream' elements).

EDIT: What I mean by dream elements is that in dreams the basic rules of reality don't apply, therefore there could be a lot of creative freedom in selecting how platforming would function in a world based on a dream (since the devs are no longer bound to the rules of reality).
Last edited by Boshi on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The boss of all Yoshis

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:23 am

Heh, considering the jungle level screenshot has similar looking waterfalls, I could easily imagine a Fountain of Dreams world. But I wouldn't want the floating island waterfall thing to be in every level...
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”