Revealing Content Before the Release.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CrazyChaos

Revealing Content Before the Release.

Postby CrazyChaos » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

If there is anything that has really been letting me down lately, especially with Nintendo, it is when games reveal most, if not all, of the content to be in the game without leaving any surprises. I am sure that most of this comes from the reasoning that people want to know what they are getting with their purchases, but in some cases I do not think that leaving surprises would have affected sales much at all.
Significant examples include:

Pokemon X&Y revealing many of the new pokemon and mega evolutions before release. After seeing so many, I had figured that there were surely a lot more left unrevealed. As a result I felt more disappointed than I would have been since I had expectations built. Maybe it is my own fault, but I was hoping for an experience more like Gold&Silver and Ruby&Sapphire where I did not know what was ahead.

Mario Kart 8 revealing all tracks, characters, and items. More or less the same deal, though I suppose it bothered me a little bit less.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS revealing new characters, stages, and items. Here is where people wanting to know what they are getting with their purchase is most significant. Though most of the let-down came from the unlockables mostly being content from previous Smash Bros. games. Which is strange really, I figure that returning content is more likely to affect someone's purchase. I know someone who completely avoided the game simply because the Ice Climbers did not return. Right now I still have more songs to unlock in Smash Wii U that I lack motivation to go through with because I know it will most likely be nothing new or another Jungle Japes. While many of the old songs are great, I believe that I already have my favorites anyway.

This probably is not much of a concern for most people, but for me secrets and surprises are what really help me enjoy a game. Given the origins of Project Ukulele, it seems like this should not be a problem but I still wanted to get my thoughts out there, even though my thoughts are usually stupid and not worth expressing. A simple solution for me would be to simply avoid being spoiled, but that failed for both X&Y and Smash4 because they were being talked about everywhere anyway. In addition to that, there are some things that I would like to know, like release date(s), platform(s), special editions, the favorite color of each team member, etc.

I think levels, moves, and characters should each be kept relatively secret. Obviously there may be a few to be shown for various reasons, but overall I would like to be surprised as I progress through the game. I think teasing some things is fine too. I am sure many people, myself included actually, would really like to see what is in the game. However, I want to build up that excitement up until release and maintain it all the way through the game. I think something like a beta or early access release would also go against this a bit as well.

There are probably at least a few other people who have similar feelings, but if it is not the majority then it is not necessary too worry much about it. So ultimately, how many people wish to keep most of the content in the game as a secret until they play it?

Prof__Yogert

Re: Revealing Content Before the Release.

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:31 pm

i agree, i hated that i couldnt use the internet without smash spoilers, then N themselves spoiled it, im the kind of guy who enjoys finding out for himself whos in the game. i really hope i dont find out to much before its out, because i think this could be the perfect genre for discovery.
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 pm

You should include Skyward Sword on that list, they pretty much announced every single dungeon and area on their website and when I played it, there was hardly anything that surprised me. This is one reason I try not to get too hyped up for games anymore, if you have low expectations, then a good game would usually exceed them significantly hehe

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't mind if Playtonic releases information. Given that the game is being kickstarted, I think it's expected.

But as far as I'm concerned, I share your tastes for surprises. I'll watch the kickstarter video, probably the very first teaser/trailer that Playtonic will make, and then nothing else. I'll probably see a few screenshots inadvertantly because I follow Playtonic on Twitter and I guess they'll promote the game a lot. But I'll avoid reviews, opinions, and so on, especially if there's an Early Access.

Incidentally, I don't care at all for multiplayer games. I didn't care at all for Smash spoilers. To be honest, I don't play Smash for the characters at all, it's more of a gameplay thing for me. So we may not be in the same boat. But for singleplayer games, absolutely.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm

With the way social media works it is very hard these days to have 'selective secrecy' - that is, only revealing information to those who are interested in reading about it. Said information nearly always ends up getting shared everywhere. For that reason, I'm torn about how much I'd like to see of Project Ukulele. Sure, I'm curious to know about basics like the game's player characters, maybe some sneak peeks at the environments. Anything story related I would prefer kept thoroughly under wraps.

We're probably not going to know what the player characters look like for a while, maybe not even until release day, considering how their designs are tied so closely to important play mechanics.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Perhaps there could be a separate category on the forums in the future where spoilers of the game are allowed... though the last forum I used to work for the members kept complaining that we were asking them to keep spoilers of new games in a certain section haha

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:41 pm

They are probably saving the first teaser trailer for E3.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm

I do agree with this in the sense that releasing tons of alpha/beta/early access versions would literally ruin the hype of the final game. When the final release does come around, 90% of it would have already been seen in the pre-releases. It'd be a case of nothing new, nothing exciting, in a way.

The thought of hyping up the game and then finally getting a fantastic, completely finished version fall into our laps out of nowhere for us all to obsess over and discuss online does sound brilliant. However...

If no details are 'leaked' over time, I feel that the hype will be hard to build. People will forget about the project and lose interest, which is the opposite of what we want to see. I want the forums to gradually grow, not decline. Personally, I think Playtonic need to periodically remind us that they are alive and working hard by revealing new content every now and then (but not playable demos! That's too much).

Perhaps every month a new screenshot of something could be shown. A piece of a level, a character, a snippet of music... something to keep the hype flames burning. They could make a sub-forum on here (announcements/spoilers/whatever) and post these little juicy things to get some feedback and spark up a discussion.

Don't give the game's details away, but don't let it be forgotten...

Thoughts?
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:43 pm

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:47 pm

The thing about early access is that it gives the developers more funding for the game. Also an army of beta testers. Ending with a better end product.

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:51 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Just throwing this out there: I think a Wii U release is inevitable regardless of funding. I'm pretty sure to become a Wii U indie developer you simply fill out a form, send it off and (as long as you can produce a half-decent game, which Playtonic clearly can) you get accepted. It's not a completely exclusive group. :roll: I may be wrong, but I know a first-time game maker who has already been accepted as a Wii U indie developer... So it seems pretty simple.

We are getting a bit off-topic though.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”