GameXPlain Project Ukulele discussion

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Meelow

GameXPlain Project Ukulele discussion

Postby Meelow » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29fSa_tTzA

GameXPlain always makes good videos, so I felt it should be posted here :)

SpongeTheSquid

Re: GameXPlain Project Ukulele discussion

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks for sharing! I'll check this out.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:21 am

Listening to it as I browse, and there's some good points essentially revolving around the theme of not getting too far ahead of themselves regarding other projects, and focusing on getting the game out on platforms before expanding out.

That's in opposition to Mighty No.9 which seems to have gone down the route of producing as much of everything as possible immediately.
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:27 am

Meelow

Postby Meelow » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:34 am

This is so off topic but I haven't been up to date with Mighty No. 9, what happened with it?

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:34 am

That was a pretty good listen, however after 20 minutes it sort of descends into fanboy rabble about the wii U. The points early on are pretty decent though. :)
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:48 am

I think it's possible for them to build the base for a "universe" without worrying about scope creep. I mean, they need NPCs anyway.
Make the forum great again.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:21 am

So I'm watching the video, when Ash Paulsen (son of veteran voice actor Rob Paulsen) brings up a good point:

Here Playtonic Games has ideas of setting up a whole universe where characters can star and appear in various games, which sounds exciting to us, but to him, sounds a bit too similar to Might No. 9, where the game hasn't even been released yet, and yet Beck, the star of the game, is already making cameo appearances in other games, and it's even going to get it's own freaking animated series.

...And I have to admit, he has a point. When I found out Might No. 9 was getting it's own animated series already, I was like "You've got to be flipping kidding me"... I mean, all I want is another true, blue Mega Man game, even if it has to be a spiritual successor, I don't need an adaptation of something that hasn't even made it to the starting line yet!

Now, granted, I feel kind of different about Project Ukelele; I almost think that when this game get's it's Kickstarter, it'll be just as successful as Might No. 9, meaning that Playtonic Games will have all the support it needs to make their dreams a reality. Not only that, but Playtonic has made it clear that they're not going to do something fans don't want, and they're going to focus on giving us the experience we deserve/have been waiting for. Sure, a lot of us have been suggesting crossovers and stuff (myself included), but I don't think they're going to lose focus this time (like how Nuts & Bolts was originally supposed to be a true Banjo-Kazooie sequel, but they got a physics engine, and the had these massive worlds that would seem easier to traverse using vehicles, and one thing lead to another, and so on). Besides, I honestly like the idea of having a shared in-game universe, as opposed to an adaptation of something that doesn't even exist yet.

There IS such a thing as counting your eggs before they hatch, though, and I just hope Playtonic Games doesn't lose their heads and try to make THIS game a success before moving on to what's next.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 am

Except Mighty No. 9 was created by a businessman wanting to cash in on Megaman's popularity. Playtonic is making Project Ukulele because they love making those kinds of games. They would still make it if the kickstarter fails.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:34 am

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”