Kart Racer Mini-Game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Kart Racer Mini-Game?

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:20 am

Letting my imagination run wild again... :geek:

There have been loads of requests for Playtonic's next game to be a kart racer somewhat similar to Diddy Kong Racing. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70)

Thing is... Game 02 is probably going to take about 4-5 years to arrive*. :cry:
*Made-up statistic.

There have also been a few discussions about a fun multiplayer mode, but we're not sure what multiplayer features would be best. So, to solve this issue, I've put the ideas together: A multiplayer kart racer within Project Ukulele. It may sound a bit of a stretch, but it's not unachievable -- Tooie had a recurring FPS and a sports mini-game (Targitzan/Stonies) amongst others...

The kart racer doesn't need to be massively expansive -- it is just a mini-game after all. Perhaps a few tracks/challenges in a couple of levels to complete for a Pagie (similar to the Stony stadiums in Tooie); more tracks/items would be better, but even a simple race would make for a fun challenge.

It'd replace the Canary Mary A-bashing races that people complain about and could give us a glimpse into what Game 02 (if it does turn out to be a kart racer) could feel like. I've already written the imaginary dialogue for the imaginary rival: "You've won all the races for now, but this isn't the last you'll see of me!" *runs off and waits for his antagonist roll in Game 02: Unnamed Kart Racer* :roll:

It doesn't have to have a multiplayer option, but it just makes sense that way...

P.S. I know I've been anti-vehicle for a long time, but I should really clarify that I'm only against using a vehicle to carry out the platforming elements. A Playtonic kart racer can be nothing but amazing.

Thoughts?
Taylonic Ltd.

Nightpaws

Re: Kart Racer Mini-Game?

Postby Nightpaws » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am

I believe Playtonic mentioned in their presentation that they were looking to keep away from the spin off genres (especially karting for now) to get back to their roots. I doubt they'll be wanting to go near a racing game atm especially with the material it would give them in avoiding it :P

Wouldn't say no to another karting game but it'd need to be something preeeeetty special to be different from LBP Karting, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Sega Superstars Racing, (and the rest!)
Last edited by Nightpaws on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am

That would be a neat idea for people are wanting that sort of gameplay!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:30 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:33 am

A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:26 am

i think thats a great idea, maybe theres a track for some of the actual game maps, like spiral mt track (since we dont know any areas yet). it also wouldnt be half bad to be in the game, like the minigames in bk (specifically the racing onces).
i think it would be really cool, and i always love an excuse to get friends over to play banjo...i mean uk
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Maybe I made this seem like a massive game-changing element. That wasn't my intention. I don't want them to make people start questioning why there's so much racing in the game; I just think it'd make for a fun mini-game in the exact same vain as the FPS/soccer games in Tooie.

Main reasoning for this is that a lot of people hate the Canary Mary races, but love kart racers. It's not unheard of to have races in platformers. Mario Sunshine had that Blooper race and Sonic Adventure 2 had those go-kart races, for example.

A bit off-topic: I also think it'd be cool to reference their next game in the first game via a playable 'demo'-type thing. Even if it wasn't a racer and even if it wasn't part of the main game... hiding a little easter-egg like that within a larger game would be awesome and such a reward for finding it.
Taylonic Ltd.

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:17 pm

I am not a big fan of changing the gameplay in the middle of the adventure just for a short time. I would love if they do a Mario-Kart-based level in which you have to run continuously, with a level development which resambles Diddy Kong Racing. But I don't see it without changing absolutely the game for that level...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm not saying that Playtonic should have a racing mini game, but it reminded me of the surf race in Conker against the punks. That was pretty nice, and iirc there was also a multiplayer mode based on this.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 02, 2015 6:37 am

The Kickstarter mentioned 8 local multiplayer games in the Stretch Goals. I'm surprised; I guess it'll be like a Mario Party type thing? Sounds great to me. :)

I was wondering if a racing game as described in this thread would make a good one. Well, they need 8 unique games so I don't see why not!

(P.S. Make Playtonic's second game a kart racer!)
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 02, 2015 6:58 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 02, 2015 7:01 am

Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 02, 2015 7:05 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat May 02, 2015 7:25 am

I DO want a kart racing game from playtonic but I wouldn't mind a mini one in yooka, like micro machines style that would be fun. I am NOT a fan of the mini games in tooie they are boring and repetitive, so hope they come up with something fresh.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat May 02, 2015 7:41 am

If it's anything like Conker's Bad Fur Day, I'll play multiplayer much more than singleplayer. :D

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat May 02, 2015 9:19 am

Yes, a kart racer mini-game will be a fine addition to Yooka-Laylee.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”