So, it gets on Wii U. Which controller?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
MFWolfe

So, it gets on Wii U. Which controller?

Postby MFWolfe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 am

I'm personally a big fan of the Wii U pro controller. That would seem like the best controller to use for a 3D platformer. Of course, there has not yet been a game that exclusively uses the pro controller. Most are either Wiimote or Wii U Pad based that use the pro controller as an optional control option.

This is, of course, unless Playtonic can break into the gamecube controller adaptor. That would be great.

Alph

Re: So, it gets on Wii U. Which controller?

Postby Alph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:38 am

The gamepad is a great controller and has functioned very well for every game I've played except Super Smash Bros (in which case I use a pro controller to spare my gamepad the abuse), so I intend to use that.

As for gamepad features, it'd be nice if it let us view the HUD and totals and whatnot so we wouldn't have to pause the game. And maybe a map would be useful if the game ends up being as large as Tooie.

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 am

It would definitely have to use the Wii U Gamepad at a minimum, since it's the only input device anyone with a Wii U is guaranteed to have, but assuming that the gamepad screen isn't being used for anything overly important (ie. if it's just mirroring what's displayed on the TV), having an option to use the Wii U Pro Controller instead probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:48 am

I'd say focus A LOT on the other controllers and optimize it for Classic Controller Pro, Pro Controller, etc. We all played on the N64 with a controller, not an iPad type controller. I'm absolutely against touch screen and everything that it stands for. It's not practical and causes smears and requires frequent sanitation to clear the screen and you can't really see what you really tap and it's not practical overall.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 am

wiiu gamepad, wiiu pro controler, gamecube controler (im serious! i actually like the gamecube controler & be nice to use it for something other then smash! >:( seriously nintendo some of actually want to play games like mario kart 8 with it!)

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 am

Semperscio

Postby Semperscio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:07 am

I agree wholly with the expressed comfort of the GameCube and Wii U pro controllers. I would like to remind others how well the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD had utilized the Wii U GamePad, however. If Project Ukulele could do something similar to that game, then that would be fantastic. In that game, the GamePad made the experience tremendously more convenient by giving players access to menus, maps, and weapons more easily, and it incorporated gyro controls for things like the grappling hook and arrows, but at the end of the day, the GamePad wasn't necessary; fans could still use the pro controller if they so chose.

Something like that.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:33 am

I like the Game Pad, and I could imagine it working something like it does for Wind Waker HD; just for things like Miiverse features and your inventory. Can also just choose Pro Controller and have it be basically the same.

I just wouldn't like the Game Pad to be ocerly necessary.

TheJHam88

Postby TheJHam88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:03 am

Pretty much every game has to be functional with the gamepad so that's not even a question. But having the option to use the pro controller would be very nice, I love that thing. I like using the wiimote and nunchuck for games that actually require it, though I highly doubt there would be any reason seeing as this is a multiplatform release. It's gonna be optimized for standard controllers. That goes for gamepad functionality too. I don't think they are going to do anything interesting with the second screen, it'd be cool if they did but I don't think it's gonna happen. On that note though, I really, really hope they have off-TV play.

DanBevis

Postby DanBevis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 am

GamePad for me, if only for streamlining the UI from the TV [and maybe Off-TV Play for those that use it, though that's not myself].

ShinyRegice

Postby ShinyRegice » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:37 am

Like other people said, Gamepad use would be great if inspired from how it is used in Wind Waker HD, with an inventory easily usable without having to pause the game. But I don't think that Gamepad use for anything other than convenience is necessary. A Wii U Pro controller option is a must though, maybe Wii Classic (Pro) controller as well.

Gamecube controller support would be awesome, but given that it's explicitly said it is only meant to work with Smash Wii U on both packaging and manual, I don't give my hopes up.

Nightpaws

Re: So, it gets on Wii U. Which controllers

Postby Nightpaws » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 am

I'd say the Gamepad, GameCube and pro controllers would all be great. An alternate scheme for the wiimot r with nunchuck might be possible but it's probably not that high on the list of desirable controllers anyway.
A wii compatible N64 controller would be nice as a throwback but money is definitely an issue there! :P
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:55 pm

GamePad functionality is a must, but I'd like it to work on other traditional-style controllers too. Couldn't care less about Wiimote compatibility... :roll:

GamePad screen:
1. Totals (pause screen)
2. The actual game on a smaller screen

Having the totals is a no-brainer... you won't need to pause and it doesn't involve much more work from Playtonic (by creating things like maps).

Having the ability to play on the small screen will be great for people that want a handheld experience. I often make use of this feature when playing Mario Kart 8.
Taylonic Ltd.

Billusio

Postby Billusio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

Agree, Gamepad should be first-intent, but with as much functionality as possible. Maps, UI, inventory etc. Maybe the motion controls could be for flying/swimming/driving/projectile weapons? There really aren't many games that have made any use of it whatsoever, other than being a secondary platform for when someone else wants to use the TV. I think Nintendo made it very difficult for themselves trying to design for 2 screens when players only have one pair of eyes, so will only ever be able to look at one screen at time.

So, maybe that's the trick, for Project Ukulele to use the screens in conjunction with one another, instead of separately. Like, what if a character needed to see something far away, so they could hold up the Gamepad, parallel to the TV screen, then move it forward and back to zoom in and out, up and down etc? Or for targeting long-range weapons, sniper-style. Or inspecting things at close range, like a magnifying glass, looking for clues to find pagies. There's got to be a mini-game in that, somehow.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Considering Project Ukulele is hopefully getting a multi-platforming release, I wouldn't want to see Playtonic put so much effort on making really complicated uses out of the GamePad. Just throw on the pause screen and/or the option to play the game on the GamePad, I think.

I've never been a fan of all that motion stuff. Bit too gimicky and I'm far too lazy to move my arms.
Last edited by Taylor on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

Cranky Kong

Postby Cranky Kong » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

I hope that multiple controller options will be available in case Project Ukulele will be released for Wii U. I mean, it's 2015, it can't be rocket science to make a game support different controllers, can it?
Anyways, the option to play the game with the Wii U Pro Controller would be great. It's imo one of the most comfortable controllers out there, I vastly prefer it to the Gamepad, especially for longer playsessions. Yeah, I don't think that highly of the Gamepad, so besides off-tv-play, I can't think of any Gamepad-features that should be utilised.

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 pm

I despise motion controls, except for gyroscope aiming. I actually like that a lot, and never aim any other way anymore unless I have to! I like the game pad and the pro controller most, but I also don't mind the wiimote/nunchuck combo. I love using the game pad to play without the TV. I was so skeptical about that game pad, but I have since learned not to question Nintendo. ;] I love that thing. The TV controller is so convenient, and I love being able to take the game pad to bed with me and play from the comfort of being buried under all my blankies. It's like a giant GBA. Also it lets me play my Wii U when my husband has stolen the TV from me to play his Playstation.

So yeah, I like all the controllers except the wiimote on its own, but game pad and pro controller are best.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:18 am

I'm fine if they just use the Gamepad. Having the option to use the Pro Controller would be nice, too.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Levitat

Postby Levitat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 am

Classic oder the Wii U Pad. I cant imagen the handling via wiimote. Thats to much gefuchtel

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Gamepad.

I'd have a clear screen on the TV, have the health bar, and all collectables displayed on the gamepad.
Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”