What's the perfect balance of collectables?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
AndyProtagonist

Re: What's the perfect balance of collectables?

Postby AndyProtagonist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:19 am

Something in-between Kazooie and Tooie would be sweet. :)
Andy Protagonist

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 am

I like 100-500 little things (I didn't mind the 500 bananas in DK64), 5-15 big things (25 golden bananas in DK64 was a bit too much for me), and 2-3 secret things per level.

I also don't see why we need to be restrained to the same number of collectibles per level. Why can't we have a smaller level with 50 Pagies and a larger level with 150 Pagies? I wouldn't have too much variation, but I think some variation would actually help to balance collecting in different levels. I feel like we could have had 50 notes in Mumbo's Mountain and 150 in Click Clock Wood. Of course we need round numbers and we can't have a level with 134 Pagies.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Enrel

Postby Enrel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm

I kind of like the idea of smaller levels just having less collectables and the larger ones having a bit more. As long as it's not completely front loaded. Tamashii7 brought up an interesting point that most of the notes in BK lead to you objectives and so collecting them was a more natural part of that game. So say this game does have something similar to notes. Should they then be used as a sort of guide through the level?

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is a pretty good example of how to NOT have collecting games be designed. Instead they put notes in every high place and every landmark possible and perfectly symmetrical and stuff. It was more of an easter egg hunt than it was an actual platformer like Banjo Kazooie.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”