Kickstarter Reward: Early Access - Yes or No?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Waverunner

Re: Kickstarter Reward: Early Access - Yes or No?

Postby Waverunner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:16 am

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 am

I don't think Early Access will really increase sells. I'm already going to blindly pick up the game after hearing that you have the original Banjo Kazooie team and Ex-Rare employees that are guaranteed to give this game a absolutely stellar and amazing soundtrack. This team is by far one of the most creative and innovative and I don't think we need an early access. Yes it sounds great, but I think the surprise will be worth it. I fail at keeping myself away from leaks because I'm on the internet all the time and such. I don't think Playtonic is going to change their mind in terms of early access, but I do think they can put an effective measure to not really spoil any major final parts of the game. After all we are the consumers. We're not beta testers willing to risk the surprise and fun just to test out some stuff. Imagine the developers. Getting to make the game and hear people talk about funny and surprising stuff, while they themselves get to miss out completely on the experience.

Great in theory, but disappointing in the long run.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Thu May 28, 2015 11:42 am

We're already getting the Toy Box demos. Those will be perfect: giving us a little taste of the experience so we can get a feel for how the game will play.

Imagine if people could pay AMC to have early access to popular television shows like The Walking Dead, or HBO for Game of Thrones. It would end horribly. There would be riots in the streets. Games should be no different.
you kuh lady

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 pm

I agree that the Toybox demo is great. During the Early Access talks I was adamant that I wouldn't play an early release of the actual game because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but I'll definitely play a Toybox world. I also backed at the Toybox++ level, and I MIGHT abstain from trying out any of those "++" features. Not sure I want to spoil special moves. I would probably go back after beating the game to try that version.
Make the forum great again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:07 pm

I do not want early access, early access makes the game less interesting as you are never going to be immersed the way you would be with the complete experience.

The first impression must feel complete, not half-done. A good first impression maintains interest.
Simplest of Psychology.

Especially because this platformer will involve a story. Do you like to read stories that are not completed yet?

IMO, if a game wants respect and praise it should never involve any kind of early access. It's just not fun coming back every time for one little addition, it feels dull and boring. If all these little additions come together at once they create a whole different experience.

So.

No early access please! It's a disgusting trend.
Stop picking your nose

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:53 pm

great!
Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:39 pm

It seems Playtonic and 95% of people on this forum are in agreement that early access would spoil the final game. I'm pleased.

Thread locked.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”