Kickstarter demographic issue: kids don't go to kickstarter

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
polomi

Kickstarter demographic issue: kids don't go to kickstarter

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't think kids go to kickstarter (by kids I mean less than 18 years old, completely arbitrary definition for the sake of the discussion). They're not the people with money, so I doubt they go to crowdfunding websites. Maybe some do and ask their parents to pledge for them, but I doubt that it's common.

On the other hands, kids are probably a huge part of the target demographic.

So I'm sure that the kickstarter will be targeted to nostalgic grownups instead, kind of how A Hat in Time and Lobodestroyo did.

But this raises a question: Can we help Playtonic to reach the younger gamers? How? Any ideas? Is it even necessary?

Jellyfunk

Re: Kickstarter demographic issue: kids don't go to kickstar

Postby Jellyfunk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Here we go with the "cartoons are only for kids" routine.

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Last edited by polomi on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Good point, but A Hat In Time did pretty well as well as other indie game projects that may have been seen as 'kiddy'. I think the Kickstarter will receive quite a bit of funding, and then when the game is released, quite a bit of profit from the younger people being bought the game from their parents.

We could always ask children to steal from their parents?

Just kidding, don't do that. :roll:
Taylonic Ltd.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:09 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Last edited by polomi on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanBevis

Postby DanBevis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Not at all necessary. Grownups are the ones with cash to spare, not kids. Besides, the Kickstarter total is gonna be smashed very early on anyway.

Alliusis

Postby Alliusis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm

These games are all-ages game in the true sense of the word, and a lot of their established fanbase would be definitely be above the age of 18. They're enjoyable by everyone, and that's part of what makes them so special. And a lot of people are knowledgable about kickstarter, they have jobs, or their parents can also contribute.

Also, they've said they don't need the kickstarter. It's for the fans. While getting exposure to more people would be great, they don't need to cater to "kids" as their "main demographic". Regular awareness campaigns on the internet will work fine.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I don't really consider it an issue, because the main target audience is most likely going to be teenagers/adults who grew up playing Rare's N64 stuff, (That isn't to say the game will end up being inappropriate for children, it's just that they aren't exactly the ones funding it.) and that audience would be perfectly willing to fully fund the game, moreso considering the fact the entire dev team consists of ex-Rare devs.

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Yup that's pretty much what I was thinking. That's how the other kickstarted 3D platformers did it.

I don't see how it could for instance be presented in such a way that parents would back it. Parents who buy games for their kids don't care about a game that they could only get 2 years down the line.

Actually my brother is a dad and he'll back it, but he's a gamer himself so it's not the same situation at all, although I know he'll be happy to let his kids play it.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I don't see this as a big issue as they already said that they are creating the game even if Kickstarter doesn't reach the goal I think it is just to try and get some extra help from the fans :)

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Cammiluna

Postby Cammiluna » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Lots of parents would help fund this game if either their kids took interest in it or they think it would be a good idea for their kids. I'm sure a lot of 90s Rare fans are parents now whether or not the majority of us here in this forum are parents ourselves.

Captain Paul

Postby Captain Paul » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 pm

It'll get a lot of money from the people who played rare games as kids (20-30 years old) which are the kind of people with disposable income. I guess the interesting thing will be how other kickstarters aimed towards a younger audience fared. Most kickstarters that got smashed are ones based on nostalgia though. Also anyone know how well bk sold on the XBLA? That'd probably get some of the non-nostalgia crowd in on the type of game ukulele will be.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 pm

The terrifying thing about Kickstarter is that, unless you meet the target, you get none of the money. Even if you're £1 off. Obviously backers get refunded, but the company doesn't see a dime. It would be such a kick in the stomach if that happens, despite Playtonic (thankfully) making the game regardless.

I'm praying the project gets the publicity it needs and people smash the target off the scale. I have enough enthusiasm to share with at least a few hundred people, but the bank balance of a pauper. :roll:
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Last edited by supergardie on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 am

I read that they could make the game comfortably on £400,000, but could do it for £200,000. A Hat In Time made close to £300,000, so I can see that goal being reached. But it might be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time... I really don't know. :cry:

I hope they make millions.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”