Other potential genres

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pgcrooner

Re: Other potential genres

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Rare

Postby Rare » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Diddy Kong Racing 2 with this new cast would be pretty cool.

The Wii U could definitely use a solid shooter with decent online.

Dustin Demon

Postby Dustin Demon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:18 pm

Gotta go with the cartoony kart racer.

If Playtonic is looking to spin off other games with other characters, why not have them all get together for a race?

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:31 pm

it worked really well for banjo and conker. :)

amanezco

Postby amanezco » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:45 pm

If Retro decides to stop making DKC games, Playtonic should do them definitely! Maybe there will be tight collaborations with Nintendo in future, I hope..

XD375

Postby XD375 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Add me to the list of people who want a Diddy Kong Racing successor. It shouldn't happen until this universe has more characters, though.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:09 pm

A kart racer with planes and hovercraft.

A 2D platformer hyper real environments like DKC.

18+ game like Conker.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:11 pm

What about a puzzle game? Imagine if one of the characters in the universe is a mad scientist or something like that, it could lead to a crazy over the top puzzle game where the puzzles would make as much sense as finding a way to stabilize a table that's missing a leg using antigravity chocolate.

amanezco

Postby amanezco » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:38 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Anything that fits their eventual extended universe would be fine by me. A light-hearted racing game, a shooter of sorts (probably more DK64 shooting than with actual guns), as long as it fits and they're open and honest about it, it's fine. Their only mistake in my mind would be the Nuts 'N' Bolts route - promising one thing and delivering another, which they've set as one of their four Rules they must abide by. I'd like to see a core base of 3D Platformer Collectathons, with side-games of almost every genre, as long as they're happy making it then the fun will shine through.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

TwilightOne

Postby TwilightOne » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I love the idea of the shooter! Let's have also a spiritual sequel to Jet-Force Gemini! I'm in love with Playtonic Games already!!!

Greens

Postby Greens » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:56 pm

I'd love to see Playtonic's take on a light hearted RPG. Something along the lines of a Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64. Not to a T by any means. But it'd be pretty awesome to see these guys take a stab and put their own spin on the genre. Turn based or strategic? There are countless possibilities they could run with. Also it seems like a solid way to build some heavy character development and immerse us in the vast connected world they seem to have envisioned over there.

The Kart idea is extremely fitting too! Although I can't help but feel this would make more sense a few games down the line when we've become a bit more familiar with the characters. Than again when I think of diddy kong racing and how easily I warmed up to the completely unknown roster at the time.. Maybe a few games down the line is completely unnecessary. Either way I'd put my vote in for this, its a must!

Personally I'm not sure what to think of 2d platformers at this point. Which is crazy for me to say since the DKC trilogy is easily in my top 5 ever. I think Retro is running with DKC and doing an amazing job. The indie market is flooded with 2d platfomers.. Which I still purchase, game, and love. But it seems to be getting a bit saturated, almost running stale. Maybe its time for Playtonic to put a real spin on this genre? Liven it up a bit? I suppose if anyone could do it right it'd be these guys! Heavy emphasis on adventuring and story? Item collection for something more than just the sake of item collection. Craft gear that offers new abilities or boost stats? Increase HP, stamina, swim speed, jump height, etc.. Infuse those adventuring elements in a way we haven't seen before please!

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:17 pm

A Zelda-like game (a spiritual successor to Star Fox Adventures/Dinosaur Planet).

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:51 pm

For some reason, that sword-wielding fellow looks really arrogant to me. Maybe it's the long, (presumably golden) locks. He doesn't give off an 'altruistic hero' vibe...

Then again, I'm reading all this from nothing but a silhouette.
Taylonic Ltd.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56 pm

I know this is gonna sound weird, but I want Playtonic to do a spiritual successor to Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Why? Imagine this: the main protagonist is a honeybadger* instead of a rodent; he is sorta a hero; the world he lives in is like a combination of the world of Conker mixed with the open world of GTA; the game should have modern, but really funny jokes.

*I envision the honeybadger to be like in that world famous meme video "That Goddamn/Dirty-Ass Honeybadger." That's where the phrase "Honeybadger don't give a poo-poo." came from. Those who has spent time on YouTube or on the Internet watching memes, must know what I'm talking about.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

NaughtyOttsel22

Postby NaughtyOttsel22 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Imagine if Playtonic and Nintendo ended up so closely tied together than Nintendo brought them on to make a new Diddy Kong Racing and it had some Ukulele characters as guest racers.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”