lives or no lives?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

lives or no lives

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Lives like in b-k
51%
No lives tooie style
49%

Total votes: 47

Pgcrooner

lives or no lives?

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:26 pm

So in Banjo-Kazooie you hsve a set amount of lives and if you run out you get the 'game over ending" (something i was disappointed tooie didn't have). But Banjo-Tooie didnt have lives and you could retry all you wanted, the only time you see the game over screen is by quitting the game, granted i think banjo tooie is harder than banjo kazooie. My question is should project ukulele have lives or should it be like tooie in that regard?
Last edited by Pgcrooner on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrenteR

Re: lives or no lives?

Postby TrenteR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Oh that depends on the game size. Banjo-Tooie was huge in relation of BK, so that there are no lives is okay i guess.

Actually you can also add the Note count resets like in BK if you die. But that makes the game harder.

But like I said, it depends on the Game World size. If it is like BK you should go with lives.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 pm

If we get a sexy Gruntilda type game over scene, im all up for lives

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 pm

I prefer having lives. Gives more challenge to the game.

I also feel that there should be some punishment for losing all lives instead of the game just restarting, otherwise there really isn't a point in having lives. This is something I never really got with games that had lives.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 pm

I think it should have lives. Adds more challenge that way.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Nothing is more frustrating than having to start the entire level over because of one hard section at the end.

#TeamNoLives

polomi

Postby polomi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 pm

If there are lives, I'd like them to be meaningful. In all the new Mario games, and even in DKCR which some people found hard, you can easily get as many lives as you want without even doing it on purpose, it's way too easy to get them, it's so pointless. Maybe it just makes a psychological difference? I have no idea, but without taking any psychology into account, lives in games nowadays are pointless. The psychology of it is probably very important though.

Alph

Postby Alph » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 pm

I feel like lives are an outdated concept. Back when games were short enough to beat in one go, they used to indicate the number of tries you had until you have to start over from the beginning, and even without dying you would just keep replaying the same levels over and over again anyway (except you'd be beating them, getting to the end of the game, and then starting over). Arcade games and early NES games were repetitive by nature, and the punishment for game overs was the fact that you lost your high score.

But now with the bigger adventures in modern video games, lives are just an obnoxious inconvenience that extends the amount of time you spend traveling from point A to point B and delays your ability to actually get back into the action by forcing you to do something repetitive in an otherwise non-repetitive experience.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Lives were made to eat up quarters at arcades.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:31 pm

It's hard for me to compare this conundrum with the Banjo games because I simply never run out of them. I know the game inside out and can't remember how it felt to die and start over... :roll:

I guess... lives. It'll depend on how the game turns out; I'll let Playtonic use their expert judgement.
Taylonic Ltd.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Of course it doesn't matter if you are an expert, but it will get really annoying for people who have trouble with this kind of game.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm kind of biased towards no lives, if only because I feel more inclined to keep trying a more challenging part of a game repeatedly if I know I have unlimited attempts at it. That and as Alph mentioned above, lives seem to make more sense in shorter games where 'game over' means starting from the beginning.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:51 pm

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 pm

Tamashii7

Postby Tamashii7 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:10 pm

I say lose the lives. Lives have use in some cases, but they were kind of pointless in BK or BT. You got a sad gameover screen when you lost all your lives to make you feel bad, and your distance of travel to the point you died at was slightly longer, but otherwise the penalty for losing one life and losing all of them was the same. If Playtonic Games do end up using lives, they need to think of two distinct punishments for the player: one for when they lose a life, and one for when they lose all of their lives.
Last edited by Tamashii7 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:36 pm

I can't say I was a fan of the life limit in BK. It sort of fell by the wayside though especially when you were sitting with 7+ lives and the counter was just ignored 90% of the time for me. The Tooie system I felt was a lot better. (Simpler too)
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 pm

I always (Troff and)Scoff at the school of thought that says lives are outdated and redundant, but that's a criticism people usually have for 2D platformers. While I strongly disagree with that idea for in the 2D realm, I kinda feel that way about 3D platformers, well, collectathons to be specific. Bad Fur Day used lives very well, but that wasn't a collectathon.

Here's the thing, Kazooie had lives, but you're probably not going to get a game over, unless you're playing Rusty Bucket Bay at the start of a session without many lives, that is, but I always have a plethora of lives by then. I barely noticed that there were lives, likewise, I barely realized that there weren't any in DK64 and Tooie. The point is, you don't die much in a collectathon.

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Lives please!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 am

I'm fine with there being infinite lives, but there absolutely must be a health system that doesn't simply recharge over time. I'm talking exactly like the honey comb system. Death needs to be a possibility for me, I couldn't get into a platformer with no fail states.

Lives however were always sort of neat, but unused. I never ran out, and even if you did you just waltzed back to where you were.
Make the forum great again.

karashata

Postby karashata » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:17 am

I'm of the opinion of no lives, the concept doesn't really make much sense these days anyway and I'd rather be able to repeat any challenging parts of the game as many times as necessary until I beat them without having to deal with a game over screen and either being sent back to the main menu or having to go through a continue screen, those extra seconds do add up if you're particularly bad at certain parts of games that have them.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”