lives or no lives?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

lives or no lives

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Lives like in b-k
51%
No lives tooie style
49%

Total votes: 47

Xenoka

Re: lives or no lives?

Postby Xenoka » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:33 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:53 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm

I feel like lives are only justified in two cases:
1: It is a game that boots you back to the very beginning if you lose all of them, or a game with extended levels that have multiple checkpoints that boots you to the start of the level if you lose all of them.
2: Something resets or is lessened upon losing all lives, such as currency, power ups, points, or anything else of significant value.

If the only penalty from losing lives is the time wasted traversing the hub world again, then there is no point in having them. Since I doubt the game is going to work with the first case I gave, than if the game falls under the second case, like how getting booted out of the level reset note scores in the original B&K (in the Xbox remake, lives were basically a pointless artifact because you kept notes forever anyway).

I wouldn't mind seeing lives having a purpose again in this day and age. Nowadays, it'd be suicide for a developer to completely reset a game when all lives are drained, but it seems like my second case still might have a case in todays market. The brutal effect of the lives should only be noticeable for those going for 100%, so casual players are turned away because the difficulty is making the game impossible to proceed in. We should throwing our remotes at the screen for an optional obscure collectable that turns our characters blue, not the five Pagies that you need to access the next area and you'd kill someone just to get one of them or randomly glitch to the end of the game at this point.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:51 pm

All lives really did back in the day was waste your time. In today's society, that really doesn't work. People just don't have patience anymore, me included. Also no lives and frequent checkpoints allow for games to really push their difficulty without getting frustrating. Just look at the new Rayman games.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”