Hub world is a most for this game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
mijuee

Hub world is a most for this game

Postby mijuee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:31 am

We've seen that they have announced that it will be a 3d platformer, lots of npcs, beautiful worlds and so on but banjo games were also special because you could run in a hub world where there were lots of secrets and that interconnected all levels in the game. I want that back, I believe that not many people have asked for it but for me the game will lose points if it doesn't have a big hub world full of exploration. What do you think?

Mofologist

Re: Hub world is a most for this game

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:30 am

There is going to be a hub world ala Grunty's Lair/Isle o' Hags. There are 2 screenshots of said HUB worlds on their twitter and facebook pages.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

mijuee

Re: Hub world is a must for this game

Postby mijuee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:52 am

If I'm not wrong those images are from a world in the game, doesn't have to necessarily be the hub world. If i'm wrong correct me.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:56 am

I remember from the live presentation that the cave image is for certain a picture taken from a section in the hub world.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

dotEXE

Re: Hub world is a must for this game

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Make the forum great again.

mijuee

Postby mijuee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Thank you both! I thought that those were part of game worlds, now I hope that the hub world is big and full of secrets.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

They want to fill this entire game with secrets and hopefully secrets that will take years to find, so there will be secrets all over.

Gavtonic
Site Admin

Postby Gavtonic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:09 pm

I <3 a good hubworld! We had a great team chat the other day about what we'd like it to achieve...and I'll stop there for now! But hubworld lovers, know we're giving it the attention it deserves! (Also isn't Jinjo Village one of the nicest tunes ever? All adds to a lovely hubworld experience!)

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Well designed hub worlds are always a great idea, but I hope Playtonic avoids the issues Tooie's had. Being able to directly warp from one segment to another instead of limited warps like in BK or added mobility like flying in Super Mario Galaxy completely removed any sense of each segment of the hub world being interconnected, some of the areas were far too large (the room that connected to the train, JRL, and HFP comes to mind), and the Jiggy information could've easily been displayed without using the jiggy posts next to each level that never fit their environment.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:19 pm

I disagree really. I think Tooie had a good setup. I liked the larger world size, and before you could warp you had to go there at least once on foot. The connections are very clear:

Banjo's House -> Spiral Mountain -> Tunnel -> Jinjo Village -> Bottle's House -> was the first region and from there it was Isle O' Hags with
Isle O' Hags -> Wooded Hollow (with Jiggywiggy's temple) -> Plateau -> Pine Grove -> Cliff Top -> Wasteland -> Quagmire

Here's a map: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ban ... 0512044743

There were lots of tunnels between and shortcuts, but those were more useful than anything. With bigger worlds having more ways between them was useful for faster travel. And I liked that the worlds weren't just boxes, but more rooms with pipes between them. It made a universe out of it instead of singular cut-off realms.

I think Playtonic will have a nice mix of both approaches though, since they want to have unique worlds, but also have expanding worlds.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”