User Created Mods

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Mofologist

User Created Mods

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:39 am

Loving the premise of this game so far and we only know just barely the tip of the iceberg. Playtonic emphasized that they are truly catering the game for the fans and that they wanted fans input.

Seeing how the game will come out on PC, how about a way to import our own levels/have a way to create our own worlds with their engine?

This way after we complete the game and find all the secrets we can then create our own worlds/secrets in Project Ukulele. It may be tough to implement having an editor for the game, but imagine how long the games life can live past release.

The only flaw I can hear people say is, what about if the game wants a sequel, people can just make the new stuff instead of buying the new stuff? Playtonic Games are full of creative minds and the sequels or new IPs will be fresh from the engine Project Ukulele will have, so it'll be different, also it'll be a new experience!
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

HarmfulSpacenut

Re: User Created Mods

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:24 pm

In their livestream they mentioned they use the unity engine.

Also, modding never stops sales from sequels or from quality DLC. Just look at how Bethesda does it. Mods, different games and dlc all live nicely alongside each other. Companies who claim that mods makes people not buy DLC are the companies who want to sell you shitty map packs for 14.99!

Overall I think however it is not important to have modding for this game.

As long as they don't say that they don't want mods because it would destroy their artistic vision! Kappa

iggy

Postby iggy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Mod support would be a nice addition and should be possible through Unity (Kerbal Space Program is a Unity game with mod support), though I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:33 pm

I think it would be neat, but I don't know if that would undermine the dev's efforts to put secrets in the game that could take years to find. People could be distracted playing on mods and overlook the native secrets.

The only mod I'd be looking for is a mod that lets me run the game on an average desktop or laptop (especially if it can take controller inputs) and not a gaming-specialized PC. Otherwise, I'd just be getting the Wii U version.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Remember that the goal is to release this across several platforms, with PC being the first. If allowing mod support is easy (and I mean, the game is in Unity so if Cities: Skylines is any indication, allowing modding MIGHT be very easy) then I think sure, but if it has any chance at negatively effecting the end-product, skip it.

I think with all considerations, the end-quality of the actual completed game must come first. From what I've seen, Playtonic seems to have that same approach.
Make the forum great again.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I love playing user created maps in games that I've loved like the banjo kazooie level mods. It's just that the devs of the tool to mod haven't really been updating it for better use, and that modding community died fast. I think having a way to simple edit maps with ease would be a fun and interesting way to expand the creative minds of the fans.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Modding greatly increases the lifespan of the game. Imagine simple mods like giving the main characters sunglasses or entire usermade levels.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:28 pm

I personally love mods and mods really just expand the life-span of the game tremendously as it keeps together a community live and coming in with new people.

Mods strengthens communities, expand the life-span, add unique content not found in the vanilla version, and most importantly offers a learning experience for those modders to learn about your game even more in-depth keeping the code alive and with people skilled in it which is important for let's say that mario stopped making sequels to modders made an entire fan-game with modding experiences and a complete idea of how the game is and what needs to be done. Modders are the second most important programmers right behind playtonic.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Yes! More people need to understand this!

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Mods and cool and all, but personally, I don't find that a game of this genre is suited for mods... I could be wrong however

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 pm

karashata

Postby karashata » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 pm

I honestly expect that, if the game is popular enough among the right sort of people, it will end up getting modded somehow regardless, but if the developers make the game with modding in mind and even release a tool to assist modders with making mods for the game, all the better.

That said, I doubt I'd end up using any mods that might ever be made for the game, since I tend to prefer sticking to the vanilla experience, then when I finish the game, moving on to another in my backlog.

Alph

Postby Alph » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 pm

I really doubt this game will involve any kind of official modding element. The point of Ukulele is to give us Playtonic's vision, not a community's vision. Any time they might spend building customizable level editors and whatnot could instead be spent bringing more of their vision to life.

However, if you're a fan of Rare who wants to do some modding there's always Project Spark with Conker's Big Reunion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBMgJ-kpjA

https://twitter.com/proj_spark?lang=en

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 pm

A modding element would bring in a lot more people. Modding generates discussion well beyond the release window. When someone creates a fun mod, people will start talking about the game again, resulting in more sales, ultimately creating more funding for the next game.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:18 am

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:53 pm

There are people out there who want to mod these games. Check out this fan mod for BK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBxrotKaxWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPIffAtQFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfBfZAIZDIQ

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”