How challenging do you think it will be?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
polomi

How challenging do you think it will be?

Postby polomi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:50 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Re: How challenging do you think it will be?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:51 pm

La Mulana and Banjo Kazooie have entirely different types of secrets. With very, very few exceptions BK uses solely lock-key (each solution only solves one puzzle and each puzzle requires only one solution) puzzles and ability puzzles; in contrast, La Mulana has these in addition to research puzzles, which have multiple solutions required for their completion, such as the wedge puzzle requiring the knowledge of multiple tablets and the manual, or fighting the shoot-em-up boss requiring the ankh jewel, finding the ankh, and using the key to start the vehicle. Banjo Tooie experimented with a few research puzzles, such as the train jiggy in HFP, but in my eyes these failed for the same reason most boss fights did in the game- having a universal reward, a jiggy, means that only players going for 100% will go for these more complex puzzles. The only ways for La Mulana puzzles to work in a collectathon are for them to either reward multiple of the collectible (such as how the first challenge on SM in N&B rewards six jiggies), be required for fighting the final boss, or reward something entirely different, such as a new ability.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

polomi

Postby polomi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:33 pm

I was only mentioning La-Mulana to give an example of a game that is pretty far to the side of puzzles, riddles and enigmas on the spectrum. I was not saying that I'm thinking that Project Ukulele itself will have such puzzles, and you pretty much explained why.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm

The Banjo games got it right on the difficult level, I think, but I kind of wish there's a 'hard mode' somewhere in the game. More enemies, harder jumps etc. -- However, it's probably a lot harder to implement for Playtonic than I'm initially thinking.
Taylonic Ltd.

The-Ejj

Postby The-Ejj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:48 pm

One thing I'd be concerned about is the game turning out frustrating as opposed to challenging. It's fun when I know what I have to do, or have an idea of how to solve a puzzle, but it isn't necessarily easy. Where the issue arises is when it isn't clear what I need to do to progress. That is not the same as being difficult, it is purely annoying and, I'd say, bad design. It's not fun when you feel like you've been in every nook and cranny of a level several times and still you can't progress.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:57 pm

I hope it gets harder in both the platforming and puzzles aspect. Hope there are puzzles/secrets that use a lot of my mind. I love having my mind challenged in games with well crafted puzzles.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”