Boss Fights? (And an Eight-Legged Boss Idea)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Boss Fights? (And an Eight-Legged Boss Idea)

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:17 pm

I loved the bosses in Tooie. Would you like to see this return?

I just saw a picture of a creepy spider and, for some reason, thought of Project Ukulele. We haven't seen a spider enemy/boss in Banjo (I guess the Mumbo Mountain termites are the closest thing), so I thought it'd be interesting...

This is the picture: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/cont ... 1190.1.jpg
(Arachnophobes beware)

I can picture this nasty upside-down spider in a really dark forest hollow; Grant's music will be quiet, but tense. The duo will unwittingly walk into its home and the exit will slowly close behind them. It'll be quiet... too quiet (love a good cliche), and then the spider will begin opening all of its blood-red eyes and attempt to sweet-talk them closer with a web of lies (see what I did there?)... *gulp*...

*Queue epic Kirkhope boss music here*

I'm not sure how the boss fight would play out, but it's quite a versatile idea. She could have 'minion' baby spiders, or spit venom, or shoot sticky web at you to freeze you in place... etc.

Any of you guys have boss fight ideas? Not a fan of bosses? Have your say.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: Boss Fights? (And an Eight-Legged Boss Idea)

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:39 pm

If they implement boss fights, I hope they work more like in DK64 than in BT. The BT bosses (besides Old King Coal and Terry) only rewarded a jiggy for beating them, and usually took a decent amount of effort to even reach, let alone beat. This resulted in few players even fighting them unless they were going for 100%. They should either be required to move on to the next world, reward multiple pagies, or give a unique reward, like Old King Coal's train or a new ability.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Perhaps you'd gain access to more of the world in which you beat the boss. Playtonic have mentioned expanding worlds, so that'd be a good incentive to fight them.
Last edited by Taylor on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:47 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Beat* -- darn you for quoting my typo. :lol:

Mhm, that seems fair, I guess. Although some of the bosses should probably be forced on the player to help prepare them for the final showdown...
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Last edited by Taylor on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Make the forum great again.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Boss Fight Idea 1: A monstrous joker-like boss. Can make itself giant, make copies, go invisible, and summon minions in battle.
Boss Fight Idea 2: Comic relief character. Shows up multiple times in the game to stop you in your tracks.
Boss Fight Idea 3: Giant zombie decayed dragon. Boss of the horror themed world on top of a tower.
Boss Fight Idea 4: Main henchman of the villain. A witch closely related to Gruntilda, or for a different idea was in the same school as Grunty and Mumbo learning to become the greatest sorceress of all time (Tying Project Ukulele to Banjo-Kazooie universe). Also, she will survive the ending of Project Ukulele to become the main villain in it's sequel.
Boss Fight Idea 5: , nuff said.
Boss Fight Idea 6: A JRPG-styled turnbased fight, against a parody of the typical god-like being of that genre. Is the super secret boss in the game.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Chris3_14159

Postby Chris3_14159 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:52 pm

What if at the beginning of a world the boss is waiting for you and you switch body's. So when you reach the end of the world or boss fight, your fighting yourself.

You would have to learn the bosses moves and abilities throughout the world and the boss (in your body) could use a new ability that you learn after getting your body back.

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:17 am

I wonder if any of the bosses will become playable characters in a future game. Maybe one of them could be a normal sized character who transforms into a giant monster, and his future game could involve the gameplay mechanic of transforming into a giant monster to destroy stuff.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am

I'd like to see bosses, but perhaps not every level unless the levels are very big. The battles with Klungo in Tooie for example were very good plot points and gave you an indicator of how far you'd progressed. In short, if the levels are large, more bosses, if they're shorter, every three levels or so. But they should definitely exist. I'd like to see how they implement puzzle-boss tactics with the skills you'd learn.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

DarwinThe100

Postby DarwinThe100 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:22 am

At this point, I guess it's just overused in games but I've always loved having a boss that was just a evil version the the main character; like Dark Link. It's just so tense to fight something that is essentially you and is just as capable as you.

Oh yeahhhh...

LucarioOfLegends

Postby LucarioOfLegends » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:01 am

Boss fights are one of those things that test your skills to see how you have grown, so I think it is important that they are required to beat the game in most cases.

I think they should make it so the boss drops a key that unlocks the next section of hub world. However, you must still use pagies to unlock the levels themselves, and also, there are optional bosses that can be taken on if you feel up to the challenge.

I think it is a really good idea in my own opinion.

LucarioOfLegends

Postby LucarioOfLegends » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:12 am

As for the Spider fight, I think it should play out based on the ability you get. I do have an idea of how it should began.

So our intrepid duo should walk in to a weird spot in the forest. Then they see a massive spider web behind them, and they are introduced to the first boss, which I have named:

Web Head
(Eight-Legged Terror of INSERT NAME OF FIRST WORLD)

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 am

Rarewareusedtobegood

dyarch

Postby dyarch » Sun May 03, 2015 3:55 am

Love the decayed dragon idea!

Id also love to see a "hard mode". After collecing certain collectables or perhaps beating the game bosses gain an additional phase?

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”