Name the jungle world......

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Re: Name the jungle world......

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:24 am

Taylonic Ltd.

SketchyChris

Postby SketchyChris » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:29 am

There's a few things that come to mind... some obvious ones but unless we're going to create some unique words (by that I mean words that aren't words and that you use cause they sound cool) this is what I got.
-Tangled Heights
-Floating Flora
-Jumping Junglescape
-Elevated Forest
-Green Green Isles

That's all I got lol

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:07 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:18 am

No, even that Banjo render looks too inorganic to me. The plants are too shiny etc. -- although it does have more of a 'rugged' feel to it (no path etc.), thus a little more natural.

In fact, I made a post comparing that exact same image and the jungle level in another thread a few hours ago, which is where you must've got it from. (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203&start=45). I feel they look similar.
Taylonic Ltd.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:19 am

I suppose I should have specified. Early CG does indeed have that plastic look from that lighting, but I meant to imply the foliage and plantlife themselves look less Nutty-Acres like and more natural and--I guess gritty?--than what was shown in the Ukelele screenshot. And despite the plastic look, it seems less "stiff" than Ukelele's bulbous leaves. As if I'd sooner believe that they'd behave properly and bend when pushed out of the way than in Ukelele. Maybe that's just me.

I think this topic regarding the art direction is incredibly important, and probably deserves its own thread. If we are to influence the look of the game, it's probably best to act now. Not to make it sound like I want it to be realistic or anything. It's just there's a wide level of detail to include/exclude when focusing on various cartoony styles.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”