Fun Credits

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lupo

Fun Credits

Postby Lupo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Hoy hoy,

I know even the thought of the credits is a long way down the road, but I thought to start the discussion prematurely. Most games have rather bland credit sequences, maybe they'll be accompanied by some screenshot, though they are mostly bland... and unskippable. One credit sequence I was fond of was the one from Banjo-Kazooie. Sure, it did have screenshots, but it presented each of the lovely staff members in a slightly unique name. Each one (or group) was designated a character from the game along with a witty title like Head Sound Maker.

There are other games which then have interactive credits, like Super Smash Bros. for N64 where you are literally shooting the credits and you get a score at the end of the sequence depending on how many you were able to shoot.

What sort of silly things do you guys and gals think Playtonic could do with PU's credits... obviously we'll get a better idea once we know more about the game, but it's fun to speculate none-the-less :3

Leon

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Re: Fun Credits

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I liked the Banjo credits because it sort of made every character a cast member of the game (and they did occasionally break the fourth wall). It was as if the characters themselves were being recognised on their part in the game -- every character (I think) was either shown or mentioned.

I also really enjoyed the Smash Bros. credits. Interactive stuff like that is a lot of fun; I mean, does anybody really read the credits at the end of a game?

Bear in mind that Playtonic only intend to grow to about 15-20 people. The credits are going to be very short. UNLESS they include a backer reward to be in the credits... God knows how long the credits will be then. If there are loads of names, a Smash Bros. style mini-game would be awesome, I think.
Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Sry but I personally dislike the Banjo-Kazooie Credits. Not as much as many others but...

Don't know why actually and I know I laughed about some names, but that credits don't stick to my head. :oops:

Don't know really why many people love credits so much. I love everyone who build up this whole world and all the sound, but in my opinion credits is just a wall of text. Nothing against credits at all, but mostly it lack of inspiration in many games and it don't covers this awesome job that they have done.

I'm already noticing that some of you will dislike my opinion, but for me credits are not something that appeals me.
The devs. don't get honoured enough for their work in the game and like in the most game a black screen that scrolls text, is nothing that honours them.

Sure I know it have to be in the game, but then all I want is something more than scrolling text.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:44 am

The Nuts and Bolts credits is hilarious. Until it starts showing the Microsoft Employees because apparently "We don't want to upset Microsoft". Sounds like Microsoft is holding them at gunpoint or something.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:42 pm

It could be influenced by the game's theme. For example, if the game does have a book-based theme in the end, maybe the credits could be delivered as if the viewer is browsing a bookshelf or library, and the developer's names are on the spines of the books.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:32 pm

A combination of the theme of the game with the old classic style, maybe? With the Books example - picking a book off the shelves every ten seconds or so, title and author being the job and respective person as Taylor suggested, then maybe opening the book to reveal a pop-up of a character or enemy, perhaps related to that person's role? Credits in general are very bland and only a list of names, but RARE had a history of making fun cinematics or jokes to make them interesting.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”