Playtonic Past Museum (Unused Content Room)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
FungiGamer

Playtonic Past Museum (Unused Content Room)

Postby FungiGamer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:06 am

One of the things I loved most about old Rareware games was all of the hidden, unused content either found in the cartridge's coding or briefly mentioned in pre-release material (I still have a video of Beta-Banjo stuff up on Youtube somewhere). I'm talking about things like levels like Fungus Forest, Mt. Fire Eyes and the Giant's Lair, or unused music like the infamous Advent or the beta themes for Click Clock Wood and Treasure Trove Cove/"Hammerhead Beach", or even unused game modes like Bottle's Revenge, least we forget Stop N' Swop.

True, a lot of these things may end up getting cut in favor of touching upon them in a sequel, but some content gets cut for good and never mentioned again. Now, Insomniac Games had secret areas in some of their Ratchet & Clank games that served as museums for scrapped models, items and concept art for their games, so I think it would be amazing if Playtonic did something similar. It would be fun to take a break from the new adventure and search for a hidden place like this in order to get a grasp of how the game proceeded through development as well as take a gander at some glorious concept art.

Thoughts?

Taylor

Re: Playtonic Past Museum (Unused Content Room)

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:13 am

I don't think Playtonic are going to make loads of things that they don't use. I might be wrong, but their approach seems to be more verbal and then when they've decided on what they like, they start building it. I love beta stuff just as much as you; I just don't imagine much of it existing.

However, concept art and the process of building the game is a different story. Lots of people were requesting a developer documentary as a Kickstarter reward, so it'd be cool if Playtonic kept records of the progress they make and maybe even start the documentary now. The documentary would be much more special if it actually showed the development itself, with all the rough designs and levels slowly coming together.
Taylonic Ltd.

John

Postby John » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:22 am

I hope they're picky about content in the game. In Banjo-Kazooie, they actually cut out content deemed not worthy because there just wasn't enough space on the cartridge and for other reasons. I know that space won't be much of an issue this time around, but I hope they keep a balanced game with the best levels they can make because I'd rather have a balanced 10-world game than an unbalanced 15-world game where only 5 worlds are fun.

Too many games nowadays are shipped out before they're finished, and it doesn't matter if they're unfinished because so many people pre-order games that the money is already made. Game Dev's just patch the games months later and say sorry. I hate DLC and updates. It reminds me of every new Star Wars DVD that adds more poo-poo. I understand that it's easy money, but why not focus your talents on a new game?
Rarewareusedtobegood

Tarzerix

Postby Tarzerix » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:52 pm

You always produce a lot of stuff that won't find its way into the final game if you aim for quality. Regardless how big your project is or how experienced you are.
Especially Rare was a very good example when it came to "killing their babies" for the sake of a better product. Project Dream went through quite some drastic changes until it became Banjo Kazooie, same with Jet Force Gemini, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Dinosaur Planet on its journey to becoming StarFox Adventures and so on. Even top companies such as Disney and Pixar often discard work or whole projects that already had cost millions of dollars (let alone all the artistic heartblood that went into them) if they don't feel right.
I just don't know if I personally would want to see too much stuff before the actual game comes out. I will never forget how awesome it felt, to discover Banjo Kazooie for the very first time. Just knowing a hand full of screenshots.
It would of course be awesome to see all that development documented afterwards though. And regarding the original Idea (having cameos of discarded material hidden in the finished game), I think its a very nice statement of how much you love your product and ideas (and you can feel this love in almost every polygon when you play the old Rare classics).

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:00 pm

I really don't think we should expect unused content for Project Ukulele - this is their first game as a new company, plus they don't have a huge amount of funding to throw away on things they simply won't use.

doppnett

Postby doppnett » Sat May 02, 2015 3:23 pm

this would be a interesting world. B-K N&B has one.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”