Homage-like references for the game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Homage-like references for the game

Postby John Enigma » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Should Playtonic Games make references from other games Rare or not?

For example, if Project Ukulele takes place in an Island, a la Hawaii, I was thinking...

Since this game is going for WiiU first, Playtonic should make references to Super Mario Sunshine, considering that the game used to take place in an island.

Or should they make some references from Crash Bandicoot's island levels?

What do you think?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Feber

Re: Homage-like references for the game

Postby Feber » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 pm

I would love to see references to past titles! But I think there is a good balance too. having to many references could make the humor break the 4th wall too much, Banjo did it perfectly.
Animation and Computer Science Major at Ball State University

"Ahoooooooooyeeee! ooooh oooh oh" - Kazooie

DKVineHyle

Postby DKVineHyle » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 pm

As many oblique references to their Rare days as they can legally get away with. Referencing the "island full of apes" just across the sea. Talking about the time that half-nude pasty Englishman in red underpants visited. A nameless goldfish who taps on his bowl three times (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8).

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Nope, this game is going to PC first. Since Playtonic is a 3rd party, they'll need a license for the Mario reference, which costs money. They could reference the game indirectly like "some fat Italian plumber came to this island on vacation and caused havok."

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Any homage would have to be VERY ambiguous - games companies are very litigious.

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01 am

If any character rhymes they need to have attended the same school as Gruntilda. I dunno maybe they went to the same high school. Maybe they dated and macked on each other once.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 am

It wouldn't really make too much sense at this point as they're starting an entirely new universe, but I suspect there'll be some nods. They said they're going to hide lots and lots of secrets.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 am

Nods would be good, but I don't want the game to become a giant reference to old IPs. Ukulele should shine on its own merits and be respected as a brand new start for a brand new company.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”