Random Ideas (Characters/Levels/Challenges/Etc.)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Random Ideas (Characters/Levels/Challenges/Etc.)

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Epic Elliot

Re: Random Ideas (Characters/Levels/Challenges/Etc.)

Postby Epic Elliot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:14 am

i remember on the banjo kazooie showroom for nuts & bolts they did a Q&A with kazooie herself & someone asked if kazooie had any brothers & sisters & she said if i remember correctly that she had tons & tons of cousins! so how about an NPC breegull character the vaguely hints or leaves clues that they maybe related to kazooie?

have riped up missing posters looking for a girl named tooty (of course no picture shown only words)

have stereotypical plumbers be a generic enemy

there should be a crystal coconut in the game somewhere

a turtle that vaguely hint at being tiptups son or one of his many daughters

liveing blue backpack enemys

a chocolate mountain with a giant singing chocolate monster

have a level actually called Mt fire eyes! (so it comes full circle ;P )

have the main characters make fun of cars, motion controls, windows, fish ai, dogs, sports & TV at some point for some reason

have hidden landformations that you can see when flying like the maleparts in tooie or a copyright friendly hidden micky or somthing

have zombies lots of zombies all videogames have zombies :P

evil layers should be a boss at somepoint

magic gingerbreadmen should be enemys

"E rated blood like in tooie" :P

a character named jesus pronounced heyzeus

lots of hidden innuendo

VERY SPARKLE CLEAN BATHROOMS! because most bathrooms in game are normal or very gross

an ice sculpture NPC showing off his latest work an un reachble spinning ice key! (not part of there stop n swap just a jokeingly reference)

a race of adorable kitty cat nerds that made the internet because the internet is made of cats!

mole hills they do nothing! there just there!

thats it for now :P

Yitsul

Postby Yitsul » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:56 am

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:04 am

- A WORLD BASED ON TOILET HUMOUR:
Every Banjo-Kazzoie game had some toilet humour (loggo or the workers in grunty industries) so why not a whole world based on those humour because this humor is also spreaded all over some other rare games especially Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mr.Pants and even Battletoads Arcade.
How about a world in which the characters are as big as a mice and travel trough a giant bathroom with a giant bathtub which have pipes which are connectet with a sink, a washing machine and a toilet and the player must dive and travel through those pipes (like in clankers cavern) to reach those other areas ... and the world is inhabitet by rubber ducks and soap with google eyes.I could imagine a world like this could a spiritual successor to clankers cavern. It would have some water diving parts but mostly platforming parts that required some skills (click clock wood like). If this idea could be made by the playtonic team I could imagine it would really fit in a banjo kazzoie spiritual successor and would be also an very creative and unique world. The worlds name could be like "Bathtub Pipe/Tube* Maze" which sounds really like a bk world. The bathtub could be like public swimming pool for the rubber ducks which are getting in trouble with the soap guys because they are getting burning eyes through the soup and the ukulele main characters need to do tasks for both of them or maybe the soap guys could be the baddys in this world or there could be a task where you need to flush the toilet for rats in plumber suits and stuff like that, or the player must collect unerpants and socks to feed a hungry washing machine. I dont know but I think it would fit really good in to Project Ukulele as a spiritual successor to BK, because this world have just so many things which have to do with BK. The entrance could be a giant drain in a sink and the entrance surroundings should be made out of ceramic white and blue bathroom tiles like the world himself. *With the Tube word instead of pipe it would more sound like Treasure Trove Cove from the syllables.

- A LOW BUDGET B-MOVIE/TRASH WORLD:
Could you imagine a world set in a cinema designed with popcorn/moviereels and all that stuff and with three cinema halls and each hall has got his own theme but all are kinda like low budget b-movie horror films. The main characters must watch to the screen with 3-d glasses to get warped in to the running trash movie (similar to witchyworld with the three different themes inside the park or click clock wood where you have 4 different entraces to all the seasons). The first cinema hall could have a movie which is set on a farm surrounded by trailerparks and swamps and of course with cow abducting aliens and the second cinema hall could have a movie set in a shopping mall with zombies. The third and last cinema hall could have a movie set in the 1950s with an area where you must climb up an giant art deco styled skyscraper with an angry primate at the top(boss fight). All these movies are references to old trash/b-movies. So this world is splittet up in to 3 main areas (cinema, first movie and the second movie because the last one is only a boss fight).
The tasks to get pagies would be like fighting against sweet corn in a popcorn machine to make popcorn out of them and bring the popcorn to some sort of kids like in witchyworld to get a pagie or to find movie reels to make the movies accessable areas. Low Budget and B-Movie because all those darker types of worlds in bk allways a little bit messed up like a polluted factory building, a rundown themepark or a oil-polluted harbor.

A NOSTALGIC BLACK/WHITE CARTOON WORLD:
These world could be the world with all the retro references. This world should also have areas with color which the player can unlock. The design should be here completely different and more n64 times like. Those areas with color should be in the 64bit style.

- SOME OTHER WORLDS:
- Ancient greek/roman mythology.
- Old japanese samurai/ninja with some anime influence.
- Construction Site with a tall red skyscraper framework.
- a carnival/circus themed level but more focused on the circus. Pink elefants, clowns trained animals, acrobats stuff like that.
- maybe a world in a fast food restaurant based on food or a italian mafia restaurant.
- an oriental agrabah/prince of persia style world, maybe at night.
- a comic world set in a comic book.
- a viking snow world or maybe a moscow russian, siberian styled world with matryoshka dolls as inhabitants and some classic ballet theater like swan lake from peter tschaikovsky.
- a world in the style of the victorian london with a mysterious murderer.
- a world which is set in the baroque time period.
- a swampy jungle world with voodoo theming. you can transform in to a voodoo doll and stuff like that. Would be a mix between Bubblegloop Swamp and Mad Monster Mansion a spooky swamp world.
- a western themed world ( small western town with cactus cowboys and on the other side on a canyon with native americans which appearing as a hawk/eagle tribe) enemys are also vultures.
- A world in space on the moon which is made out of cheese.

Now im out of ideas and the first three ideas/suggestions are really a must for Project Ukulele. :shock:
Last edited by Alucard on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 am

Maybe for the story the main villain could of ripped pages known as pagies out of some important books and the main character has to go into the remains of the books to collect them. The more pagies you collect, the bigger the the books will get and the worlds would get bigger too. I also believe there should be 2 player co op in story mode. Each player could be able the roam the worlds independent from each other like how the makers of super Mario 64 had planned.

Blue

Postby Blue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 am

A music/musical instrument themed world could be pretty cool. The music from old-school Rare games has always been top-notch.
"Hands off my bread."

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Werehog

Postby Werehog » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Maybe there could be a pirate language option, for either those who speak pirate or just for some fun.
Also, assuming the game takes place on an island perhaps a reference to monkies wearing clothes on a near by archipelago.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:06 am

Fairytale Level

A level that takes inspiration from various fairytale books. It would be split in two halves by a long river: a 'happy' side and an 'spooky' side. Imagine a cliché sunny area and a dark, shadowy area with dead, leafless trees and such.

The dark side could be home to a big bad wolf, a (Grunty-inspired) witch who lives in a house made of candy, and other common antagonists.

The good side could be home to three (Boggy's children-inspired) pigs, 'Hansel and Gretel' (change the names), and a princess that rules over the place, amongst other protagonists.

One idea I've just had is for 'Gretel' to be on the happy side, but 'Hansel', having ventured into the spooky side, would be missing. 'Gretel' would ask the duo to find him for a reward (Pagie). It turns out that 'Hansel' was lured into the witch's candy house (which is eerily the only sweet part of the spooky side) and is awaiting to be cooked and eaten. This is possibly a boss-fight opportunity, or a stealth mission (Playtonic mentioned stealth on Twitter; unsure if it was a joke) in which you'd sneak into the house and free 'Hansel' from a cage. He'd run back home and 'Gretel' will reward you with a Pagie when you get back to her.

Witch's house concept (found on Google):

Most of this level idea comes from an idea I had a few years ago for a Banjo fan-game that never was. I will probably flesh out the idea a bit more and make it suited to Project Ukulele before making a thread for it -- I definitely intend to expand on the ideas here at some point.
Taylonic Ltd.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:44 am

^I adore the idea of a world split into such contrasting concepts. And I always like my platformers having some fairy tale influence. As long as the happier (less forested?) area capitalizes on exploration (as I'm sure the spooky area would), I could see that having potential.

Rare

Postby Rare » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:52 pm

I definitely want to see a squirrel character for use in future games! The concept for the original Conker 64 seemed like it would have been fun. Maybe we can get a new young Conker.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:02 am

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 am

I'd like to see the return of , it would work really well with the Wii U's asynchronous gameplay (the player controlling the ghost would use the gamepad while the other player could play normally on the tv).

It would also be cool to have a full multiplayer mode based on this concept, where four players use the tv to control ghosts and hunt down the player controlling the main characters (on the gamepad) until they die. Kind of like .

For PC and the other consoles... I guess online could work? Well, the Wii U is more known for it's local multiplayer.
The boss of all Yoshis

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:16 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 am

Make a new thread if you like, Alucard! :)

Traditional Japan Level Idea:

Credit:

Found this image online. It has no relation to Ukulele, but I was picturing something exactly like this for a level in the game. Cherry blossoms, a river, a little red bridge etc. -- I think it'd fit in well.
Taylonic Ltd.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:50 am

I came up with some ideas about split-up game mechanics, with the assumptions that one character is a lizard/chameleon and the other is some kind of bird.

-The game should beging with a short prologue level where you control only one character and meet the other one. The villain hits you with some magic spell/ray gun that causes the two characters to be literally stuck together.

-At first the two do not get along very well at all. There could be lots of funny bickering. But by the end of the game, they become best friends.

-About 25% into the game, the duo manage to seperate themselves, but find some reason to work together. From now on, the player can split them up any time, anywhere. One button is used for splitting up when the two are together and the same button is used for switching between them when they are seperated. Uniting the two is odne by simply walking into him, like in Banjo tooie.

-There could be be abilities for the two characters alone and when they are united.

-The chameleon's abilities could be focused on stealth, wall climbing and probably many other things.

-The bird's abilities could be focused on things such as high jumps and flying.

-There could be some levels/worlds that only one character can enter, such as a Lizard Village or a giant nest for birds only.

And some more ideas about the Marvel-like universe of games. The games could like this:
-Project Ukulele: 3D platformer, Banjo Kazooie-like game
-Zelda-like games: something like what Rare originally intended with their dinosaur game
-A 2D or 2 and a half D platformer inpired by the Donkey Kong Country games. An art stlye like Ori or the new Rayman games would be fantastic for this.
-Another 3D platormer, butt less Banjo-inspired, maybe taking elements from Conker, Mario Rayman, Spyro or anything, or just completely new stlye and ideas.
-A crossover game that units the heroes of the 4 games aboce with gameplay like uper Mario 3D World, with 4 player co-op and more linear levels. The villain of this game could be mentioned in all the earlier ones, or be the leader of the individual villains.
-A kart racing game using the character of the 4 games, something like Diddy kong Racing.
Then all the games could get sequels and form another crossover, or introduce new games into the mix. This could also be combined with Braw-like game-mode or minigames like in Mario Party. essentially, this would be a multiplayer focused party game without any real plot.
-After that, there could be a new 'phase', with equels of these gammes or new titles

Additionally, there could be some Playtonic games outsidr this universe such as:
-An old-school FPS without regenerating health, cover system and such thing. Since the members oF Playtonic said they found Vavle's games very influental, maybe they could use the new Source 2 engine for this game, which is free and probably very good-looking. It could be a spy-themed game, like Goldeneye was, or something completely different, the important part is that it should not be like the modern, gray-brown military shooters of today.
-Something like Nauthy Dog's recent games such as Uncahrted and The Last of Us. So essentially a beautiful story-driven third-person shooter. But I would prefer such a game to be standalone and not part of a series.
-A game inspired by Pokemon, but in a true 3D open-world on PC and home consoles instead of handhelds. Maybe with fairies, robots, demons, spirits, aliens or something liek that to differentiate themselves from Pokemon. While the turn-based combat could remain, I would also be more than okay with direct control over the creatures during combat, maybe somewhat like a fighting game. My idea for this game from zanzarah, a PC game from the early 2000s, which was a Pokemon-clone but with the battles being FPS matches. I think something similat could work very well. Such a game could take place within the shared universe or not, depending on the specifics of the world and story.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”