First Excited Impressions and Ideas about Project Ukulele

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Playtonium Matter

First Excited Impressions and Ideas about Project Ukulele

Postby Playtonium Matter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:01 am

For me, like most big fans of 3D platformers I'm sure, this is basically the most exciting gaming news in nearly a decade (along with VR which I'm excited to see more of as well) and to see how ready the devs are to jump in and make this as good as it can be and pleasing fans as much as they can is more than a little exciting. Since the start it seems like all of the terms used to describe it could be taken as granted as EXACTLY what I wanted from a new 3D platformer (along with even more potentially fantastic propositions about content and future expenditure for Playtonic and their new brands. I really do love IPs). I think a lot of developers throw buzzwords around when talking about making 3D platformers but they often don't get them quite right in execution or exact appeal in my opinion, however Playtonic seems to hit the nail right on the head and, judging by who they are, I think it's safe to say they really get how to make a 3D platformer.

If I had one extremely minuet "complaint", it would be that, judging by the two early and unfinished screenshots we've seen, the art style seems a bit blocky to me for the environments (this isn't actually any slam to N&B BTW lol). I'm not really bringing this up to complain about but really just discuss, as one thing I love about games like Banjo-Kazooie is that their environments look both naturally geometric in design and very clear in what you're supposed to be climbing and jumping on (I feel like a lot of games are either too unrealistically "cleanly" laid out or even worse lacking distinction on how your character is supposed to interact with the environment). Either way I really love the art style as a whole, it seeming just a tad inorganic is just in my first impressions. What do you all think?

Getting into some ideas, I'm not exactly sure how involved the fans are supposed to be with this project(will they actually have input on specifics in content, or just where it's all generally going to go and just sort of having a hand in where the team's creativity will be directed?) and I'm really not sure how much I personally want fans to be. I'm all for communication and feedback and talking about maybe adding features and merchandise and all, but I personally want this to be Playtonic's vision and game, meaning I think I would rather have them ask fans if they would want this or that feature or rather have one thing over another in the game(without spoiling too much) rather than actually getting direct input about content aside from maybe some rare special contests are some such things (kind of like how Megaman Legends 3 was being developed before it got cancelled, but with maybe a bit more talking about the overall direction of the project). I guess we'll learn a lot more of that when the Kickstarter hits, though.

Playtonic's interview touched on a lot of exciting ideas about expenditure in Project Ukelele's world and in the universe, and they also talked a bit about amiibos (at first I thought the reference to amiibos was a joke, then I realized we really were getting "a real, proper, actual game") which made me wonder if the topics were not actually related. I think it has been a very exciting idea to expand a game's world by utilizing Skylander or amiibo toys to not only unlock in-game items or characters, but events and locations too. I do not like the idea of games being too dependent on such peripheral extensions unless they are very clearly marketed as the base for them (like Skylanders was) however I have heard rumors of Nintendo planning to release amiibos in card format eventually and I'm sure there could eventually be a more self-contained way to obtain all the content, but I do still really like the idea of those figures doing more than the little they do now and unlocking some fabled stuff in the context of the game's universe (Stop N Swop-esque rewards, as an obvious example). Besides, when referencing just how long the game could potentially be and how big in scope (it could possibly take even years to fully find every secret in it), I think Playtonic may have also gave an implication that the game itself could have a very expanding nature which I think could warrant certain rare things only found with amiibos because they wouldn't be essential to the game as a whole.

As far as the idea of Playtonic's "Marvel style" universe, I know that's a big trend right now but my mind really jumped straight to Diddy Kong Racing and how it threw in Banjo and Conker (and Tiptup made cameos in the Banjo-Kazooie universe as well) but story-wise it was really Timber's game (I really wish Timber would have got his own 3D platformer..) Diddy Kong Racing was a completely different genre than Banjo-Kazooie so in my mind's eye I'm kind of seeing a universe like the old Rare IPs they used to work with except very blatantly connected in the same universe.

Playtonic really knows how to hype a game and they really seem passionate about delivering the content in an exciting way, can't wait for the Kickstarter :lol:

Playtonium Matter

Re: First Excited Impressions and Ideas about Project Ukulel

Postby Playtonium Matter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

Oh.. I just read another older topic with pretty much the exact same to say about the Marvel universe nearly verbatim.. :o

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 am

Playtonium Matter

Postby Playtonium Matter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:48 am

:o WOW. I'm not surprised that this has been talked about before but.. it is so exact, it really is all almost verbatim. Thanks for the help BTW. Really uncanny though..

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 pm

As polomi has already pointed out, I agree with you on the level designs. It's hard to make a final judgement without seeing how it looks in the game though, so I'm hoping for a little trailer on the Kickstarter to dispel any of our doubts.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”