Main Henchwoman: Tying Project Ukulele to Banjo's universe

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Do you want this idea being implemented in Project Ukulele?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Yes
51%
No
29%
Maybe
20%

Total votes: 35

Xellos

Main Henchwoman: Tying Project Ukulele to Banjo's universe

Postby Xellos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:19 pm

At the time of this writing we have zero information about what the main villain will look like, its gender, or what his/her personality will be. But what about the villain's main henchwoman AKA in TV Tropes speak? Yes, you read that right. Main henchwoman, because I have an idea that would fit nicely in this spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie.

What if Gruntilda was always the sexy witch in the ? Never having the desire of being beautiful because she already is? Well, that would be the villain's main henchwoman. This basically alternate Gruntilda would have instead of her goal being the most beautiful person in the world, have the goal of being the most powerful person in the world. She would only serve the main villain because of that sole desire, as he/she has something she needs to achieve that.

But how will this new character be tying Project Ukulele to Banjo's universe you say? Simple, this witch would have been in the same school (called Handsome Shaman Institute) as Gruntilda and Mumbo Jumbo were when they just were apprentices in-training (backstory in the manual of Banjo-Kazooie), beginning her study to become the greatest sorceress of all time. Perfectly tying Project Ukulele to Banjo's universe. Also, to drive the point across that she is far more capable than the main villain. She betrays him/her after getting the item she wants, and flees at the ending of Project Ukulele to become the main villain herself in its sequel.

Now what do you think of this idea of mine? Would you like it to have it being implemented in Project Ukulele? Or would you rather have it that this new character is the instead of a main henchwoman? Then support my idea, and share your thoughts below.

Last edited by Xellos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Alph

Re: Main Henchwoman: Tying Project Ukulele to Banjo's univer

Postby Alph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I'd love any and all connections to B-K that they could legally get away with, and this seems like it could be a clever one if done right.

As for that picture...I think I'm gonna need some alone time..........

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:02 pm

I like the core principle behind your idea: a hench-person that betrays the antagonist right at the end. It's nothing novel, however; Klungo did the same in Tooie and a lot of the characters in Banjo-Kazooie 'worked' for Grunty. Cheato, Clanker etc. -- betraying the antagonist is a very common trope.

It's a good twist, but I'm unsure if I want a new antagonist for each game. Banjo and Mario almost always use Grunty and Bowser, for example, and it really simplifies the story elements and allows game-play to take centre stage (which I love).
Taylonic Ltd.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 pm

I have never looked at grunty and thought "mmmh".

Unless Grunty is starring as herself (Which she almost certainly won't sadly), I'd rather she stayed as is to stop me having weird confused thoughts. :shock:
A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 pm

I loved how sexy-Grunty's "grunts" made her sound like she was constantly on the verge of climaxing.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 pm

I'd really be a bit cautious with that, because I don't want Playtonic to get in legal troubles similar to what happened with TearRing Saga and Nintendo. Some jokes and playful hints about Banjo clearly are fine, but anything that could be seen as tying it to Banjo's universe practically is looking for trouble, especially if Microsoft and Rare still have any interest in maybe using their Banjo property again.

Nightpaws

Postby Nightpaws » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 pm

A wuff is a wuff you can wuff

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Last edited by Xellos on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 am

Phew!

And I guess. Maybe you should suggest this idea in about two years when the game is nearing completion -- it'll only take a simple dialogue reference from any witch character to connect her to Grunty. It doesn't need to be limited to your henchwoman suggestion.

I wouldn't use the name Handsome Shaman Institute, though. In fact, Brentilda mentions that Grunty went to Witch School and the name of the school changes depending on your Game Pak -- so it can't be lore as it's different for everybody.

Here's an idea that you might like... There's another question in Furnace Fun that reveals one of Grunty's best friends at school (the answer changes depending on your Game Pak). We could use one of those names for a witch character in the game (maybe your henchwoman character) and reference the school and/or a vain witch.

Here are the names:

St. Dungball's
Fat Hag High
Cauldron College

Sweaty Betty
Saggy Maggy
Fatty Hatty
Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 am

Kinda like Mighty No 9 keeping to the Mega Man format?

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:21 am

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:45 am

I'm quite the fan of the old Bait & Switch, but it'd have to be a complete surprise. Either that or the 'Main Villain ' is shown to be completely incompetent and relying solely on the lead henchwoman. I'd very much like the lead henchwoman to have some references and ties to the Banjo universe, but for legal reasons it'd have to be subtle. I think sexy witch idea might be a bit overdone though, maybe she has a giant brain because she was top of her class, or something?
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I don't really think the game needs to tie into the banjo universe. After all, project ukulele is going to be a universe all it's own with different characters sharing the same world/universe with different types of games. There could be nods to b-k, even parody characters but i think thats as far as it should go. Haveing locations from b-k being referenced in tthis game as if the locations exist in this world doesn't make sense to me. Aside from 4th wall breaking jokes and nods, this game needs to exist independently from b-k.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:24 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm

I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with the sexy witch type as long as she wasnt scantily clad. I'm sure Playtonic could create a witch who was seductive purely through tone and power rather than certain... Obvious traits.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”