What do you want in a Ocean World?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Super TNNtendoU!!!

What do you want in a Ocean World?

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:51 am

I want long beautiful beaches dotted with tall shady palm trees! Realistic looking shells and starfish dot the sands while broken seashell patches hurt our heroes when stepped on along with jellyfsh and crabs laying there waiting to sting or snap at you!

There's vast rainbows of coral reefs and beautiful shiny jewel-like fish! That's mixed with a kelp forest and it all leads into the rocky depths where a sunken ship graveyard awaits! The deeper you go you encounter deep sea aliens, sea monsters, and the legendary ruins of an ancient book loving civilization!

The day changes from early morning, afternoin, sunset, and night! The weather also changes from sunny to cloudy to rain, storms, and even a hurricane! Fog brings in creepy ghost ships and sunken planes and aircrafts! You see many different surprises including islands that just magically appear! Be careful or you may become one of the thousands of literary protagonists and antagonists to be sunk here!

I call this World: Bookmuda Polygon!!!
Last edited by Super TNNtendoU!!! on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Re: What do you want in a Ocean World?

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:58 am

I want the characters to be able to swim fluidly and perform some decent moves underwater. A lot of people do not enjoy water levels and I think the reason lies in the slow swimming and lack of mobility; you can't do much while swimming.

But in terms of the actual level, I'm not too sure. I'd fill it with every cliché you can find, then add a cast of Playtonic characters and let the humour speak for itself.
Taylonic Ltd.

DK3443

Postby DK3443 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:10 am

If we venture underwater far, I'd like some little respites now and again. Swimming for long periods of time can get a bit tiresome.

In terms of visuals, anything like the screenshots they've released so far will be fantastic! The sand should be gleaming and the water sparkling.
Yours Truly

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:16 am

Taylonic Ltd.

John

Postby John » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:33 am

I want a reef! I want it to use the entire color spectrum and be full of coral and colorful fish. Jolly Rodger's Lagoon was too bland for me.
Rarewareusedtobegood

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:43 am

Here's what I expect from the ocean levels:

1. Considering that PU will take on an island, I expect the beaches to be fun, and also playable, like Super Mario Sunshine's Gelato Beach, or Sirena Beach w/the hotel.

2. If we're talking about swimming levels, I expect something like The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D when link puts on the dead Zora's mask, and goes on a swimming quest, or the swimming levels of, get this, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, if anyone at all remembers.

3. If we're talking about boats, then I really hope it wouldn't be boring just like The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker, in which you would spent countless of boring-a** hours just to try and find that special treasure chest that doesn't even appear on the freaking map! :x :evil: (Sorry.)

That's what I'm expecting.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 am

I'd want Ukelele's Bottles ready to teach me some sort of fluid swimming technique or drill attack that keeps exploration fast and fun, rather than being a chore. And I want it to get deep. Really deep. The deeper you swim, the darker and more treacherous it gets.

And yeah, maybe along the way you catch a break, and can relax/chat with npcs at some silly secret undersea pub or motel or something.

HarmfulSpacenut

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I liked Jolly rogers lagoon a lot for how it was designed and how everything just seamlessly fit together and how they gave you unlimited air, the swimming itself was okay I guess, but it was still swimming. Being a sub was pretty cool for a bit, but really overall I liked the overland part of that level/map way more then the main attraction, the underwater part.

Now it looked glorious and it had a lot of stuff and amazing music but it just wasn't very fun gameplay wise.

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:21 pm

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 pm

I love the way underwater worlds in a lot of games work, but I can't stand navigating them. There needs to be some smoother navigation.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 pm

I dont know but for me its just feel to similar with the Jolly Rogers Lagoon world. There is also another underwater world with a town on the seabed in Alice Madness Returns which was quite impressive, so in my opinion the water world should be different, not just a ocean/water world like in other games ... there a tons of worlds like these for example in super mario sunshine.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:01 pm

There are three different ideas I have for a water level

1 - a Swamp Level - I know there is bubblegloop swamp, but this could go in a completely different direction (maybe) I was thinking it could be more like the everglades with loads of gators and such. There would be murky waters which you could easily sink in, but there could also be water you could swim under. Perhaps there could be a swamp boat which has gone out of control and tries to run down anyone who enters it's part of the water and once you defeat it for a Jig... I mean, Pagie, there's like a whole new big section to explore underwater

2 - A Haunted Waterpark - Who doesn't love a waterpark, especially if the waterpark is haunted, the ride safety is abysmal and the food inspector gave it a D-... There could be two main sections, you can explore the main park as well as the control/pipe rooms. Some of the pools are too slimy to enter so you will have to find a way to purify the water to be able to explore

3 - A tropical paradise... a lot of people have said this so I won't go into detail

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:57 am

I'm more the fan of sandy beaches, but it'd depend on the feel of the game. It'd be interesting to see a more serious, even dark water level. As long as the swimming mechanic allows for fast movement and quick turns, I'm happy with whatever the level ends up.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:09 pm

I hate under water levels but if there has to be one then I want one that's easy to navigate and isn't too vast. I love the scenery the music and the entire atmosphere in jolly rogers lagoon TOWN but I hate going under water into the Atlantis its too big and pretty difficult to get around and find things.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:55 am

Taylonic Ltd.

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Yes! Everything that was said in the first post and controls influenced by Zora Link - as fluid as in MM 64 and as controllable as in the 3D remake.

Zita

Postby Zita » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Everything said before was pretty accurate to what I'd like to see. But what also would be cool would be a water level with many different platforms and water levels you can adjust. I think that would be a few nice puzzles possibilities to come out of this idea.

| | |

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm

I won't mind if they don't put a long and slow world in there as they did in Jolly Roger's Lagoon. Man, that's by far the worst world in B-K series.

Maitland

Postby Maitland » Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 am

How to make a good Water Level:

What do these have in common? What made them good?

See also:
Last edited by Maitland on Mon May 11, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon May 11, 2015 8:48 am

I'd like to be able to hunt for whales :)
Stop picking your nose

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”